Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop DJing

• 21-01-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone have experience using a laptop to DJ.

Looking for a reccomendation of good software to use.

How do you resolve previewing a track, while another is playing, do you need a specially fitted laptop with a second sound card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Any fairly modern laptop would do the job grand, unless you're planning on getting really serious soon, i.e. composing tracks live, using loads of plugins etc. Do you plan on composing your own stuff and playing multitrack files live or will you just be playing CDs/mp3s?

As for software, I'd defininitely recommend Ableton Live or NI Traktor.

As for previewing/monitoring, you'll need a soundcard with more than one stereo output. I used to use one of these http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769

Not the best soundcard in the world for recording but its cheap and it'd do the job grand for DJing purposes.

(p.s. it might be an idea to move this thread to the Dance / Electronic / DJing forum, you'll probably get a lot more replies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

I use the behringer BCD 2000 Controller. Its a cross between CD decks and laptop DJing. You have a controller, and as you move the sliders/faders/pots it moves them onscreen. Very cool. and very fun. Only thing is, i only use it when at sessions and stuff, as i cant trust the software. its crashed twice since i bought it a few months ago. I know thats not much, but its too often as far as im concerned. Imagine if that happened in front of a few 100 people! n u sheepishly say into the mic "ahhh, soory there, need to restart windows"!!

dermoto wrote:
    "ahhh, soory there, need to restart windows"!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have only started messin around with mixing on the laptop. I use MixMeister express (soon to upgrade to MixMeister Studio or Fusion). I love it so far but if/when I upgrade I will also need to add a second soundcard for previewing etc..

I have only started messin around with mixing on the laptop. I use MixMeister express (soon to upgrade to MixMeister Studio or Fusion). I love it so far but if/when I upgrade I will also need to add a second soundcard for previewing etc..

Your best bet is just to get a 5.1 surround sound card. You can get one for around 50 quid (creative live! 5.1 USB) There actually 6 channel cards, so you could use 3 x 2 channel lines one for master, preview and say, recording or monitor/booth or whatever.

THe BCD has a build in 4 channel sound card. Id recommend taking a look at it to anyone. Theres a new software released by the company that did the original software (xylio.com), I think its called future decks, and you can upgrade to that for bout 25 quid. Apparently its more stable. I havent looked into it yet.
    behringer_bcd2000_2.gif
    (my baby!)

• Advertisement

wow, nice stuff dermoto..I'll check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I have been laptop Djing for 4 years now. The software I use is VirtualDJ. You can download a demo here http://www.virtualdj.com. I also use the Behringer BCD2000 with this software and version 4.2 works a treat with it. You can also mix video and karoke tracks with it but you will need a more powerful laptop/pc for the video stuff. As for the music mixing I use an older laptop for this with only 512 RAM and it works a treat. The is so many cool features with this software and its not too expensive.

I have used 4 or 5 different software such as PCDJ, the BCD software, DJ Decks and Final Scratch. I find VirtualDJ to be the best all rounder.

thanks for the info gafarrell, have U ever used MixMieister? I will download and try the demo of Virtual DJ before I go off and upgrade to MixMeister Studio or Fusion. I am new to all this stuff and only want some mixing software for home personal use. I don't see myself doing live sets in the near future <I'm too chicken sh*t!>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

thanks for the info gafarrell, have U ever used MixMieister? I will download and try the demo of Virtual DJ before I go off and upgrade to MixMeister Studio or Fusion. I am new to all this stuff and only want some mixing software for home personal use. I don't see myself doing live sets in the near future <I'm too chicken sh*t!>
    Cant say I have ever used MixMeister. Looks Ok though ans the price is reasonable. If I were you I'de also consider the Hercules DJ console MK2 (http://www.thomann.de/ie/hercules_dj_console_mk2.htm) It costs $199 and comes with the Virtual DJ home edition.
    The Hercules MK1 is only $105. It is ideal for home use but the MK2 has more features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Hello there,

I have been djing in clubs in dublin for te last 4 -5 years and only in the last 6 months have started using my laptop more and more.

I use Ableton live 5, An m-audio firewire 410 soundcard, a dell laptop with a gig of ram, an m audio Oxygen 8 usb keyboard and a dj mixer.

Have the sound card hooked up to the laptop and then i hook the soundcard up to 3 channels on the dj mixer. THere are 3 different channels inside ableton live that i route directly to the dj mixer via the soundcard. Then i cue up the tracks on the dj mixer like i normaly would if using cd's or whatever.

Hope this was of some help.

• Advertisement

that's good info DJdangerousDave. As I am new to all this I am struggling with the equipment side of things.

For all you experienced Djs out there, is it becoming more of the norm now for DJs to integrate laptops and software with hardware for controlling the mix thus bypassing the CD mixers altogether when doing live mixing in packed clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

sim19 wrote:

How do you resolve previewing a track, while another is playing, do you need a specially fitted laptop with a second sound card?

id recommend not djing solely from a laptop i use serato scratch and love it

software wise id reccomend ableton its not your typical djing software but you can do anything you want with the music (practically) whic is all you want really. if you have it set up properly on a good laptop and dont clog your harddrive with **** process's you SHOULD never experience a crash

there are on-board mixers with most "djing" software and while ableton has a mixer it dosnt have your typical 2 channel dj mixer so you could buy a hardware mixer which is how alot of people use ableton from what i can see

i would stay away from traktor mixmeister etc as while they will prob do what it says on the tin......if you looking any way forward to djing in front of people or in clubs etc you simply do not see that software used by the pros and thats for a good reason

gafarrell wrote:
    Cant say I have ever used MixMeister. Looks Ok though ans the price is reasonable. If I were you I'de also consider the Hercules DJ console MK2 (http://www.thomann.de/ie/hercules_dj_console_mk2.htm) It costs $199 and comes with the Virtual DJ home edition.
    The Hercules MK1 is only $105. It is ideal for home use but the MK2 has more features.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but if I bought something like the above would it mean that I would not need to also purchase a second (external) sound card for the laptop?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes, if you buy the Hercules or Behringer you do not need another sound card - both have 2 sound cards inside.

I used to have the Hercules (MK1) and I recently bought the Behringer BCD2000 – and I have to say the Behringer 3 times better. It has a lot more features that frankly you just miss on the Hercules. Things like master volume, headphones volume & split. Buttons specifically for lops and effects. Also the buttons are ‘clicky’ whereas on the Hercuels they are ‘squishy’ and after less than a year mine started not responding etc – very annoying – you press play and nothing happened, so you miss your queue point.

The Hercules is still a great little unit – perfect for messing around at home – and I’ve used it successfully at many parties – but the Behringer is definitely a better buy. I bought mine from eBay – best prices there: http://search.ebay.ie/bcd2000

I also use Virtual DJ – I’ve tried them all and I like it then best. It’s very expensive though. I tried a trial of FutureDecksPro and it does everything you need but I prefer the look and feel of Virtual DJ.
    Any more questions let me know.

I've seen the Behringer here: Price seems very good.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_bcd_2000.htm

Has anyone used this site before? Can anyone recommend them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes Thomann.de are very good. I've never bougth from them meself but they are very reputable.

PeakOutput wrote:
    if you have it set up properly on a good laptop and dont clog your harddrive with **** process's you SHOULD never experience a crash

Yeah, id recommend either a seperate laptop if you can afford it, if not, a dual boot installation. (Installation of a dual boot setup is easy, Divide your HDD into 2 partitions, and install xp on the first one, then install it on the second one. you chose which OS you want to boot into during startup. That way, you can boot into your regular setup for your internet, msn, email etc during the day, and your clean install of xp & your DJ software for mixing. have that version setup so it doesnt go into standby after an hour! You will be able to access files on each OS from both OS's. Google dual boot or multi boot and HDD partitioning (you'll probably have to clear your existing installation, unless your hdd is already partitioned)

So BCD works good with virtual DJ then yeah? Interesting...

I have heard bad things about the Behringer software though, crashing etc..is this still true or have they brought out a newer version to overcome these 'issues'?

I have heard bad things about the Behringer software though, crashing etc..is this still true or have they brought out a newer version to overcome these 'issues'?

Some of those rumours are true, but most of them are just moaners. The software that comes with it can crash, in a horrible horrible way (An error screen, press OK and Windows Restarts!) But you can use other software with it, as its essentially a midi controller. Virtual DJ or Futuredecks for example are both far more stable and work with it. I cant fault the hardware. one pot is a bit stiff, but i only paid 170 quid for it (www.gear4music.com) so I got a damn good deal for what i paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've been DJ'ing with my laptop for a few years now - for parties, functions and radio - started with AtomixMP3 and upgraded to VirtualDJ recently (now on version 4.2) and recommend it highly. I haven't used external controllers (yet) but probably will end up getting something like that Behringer BCD-200. At the moment it's just VirtualDJ on a basic (Pentium-IV 3Ghz, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD with MP3's/WMA's on an external 160GB HDD) laptop, an external sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Extigy) and the usual mixing deck, amp, speakers, mic, etc.

I'd always have a CD player with a pre-prepared mix disc in it plugged into the mixing deck too though - just in case Windows crashes or, as has happened at gigs before, some kid or other "accidentally" pulls out the power on my laptop/external sound card box without me noticing.

• Advertisement

Good review of the BCD2000 here: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/05/21/cheap-functional-quirky-bcd2000-midi-controller-review/

In the beginning they had some driver issues and no Mac support. They haev now fixed these and released it as the BCD3000 in slightly different colours. This is a good thing I think as when it is all black it is sometimes hard to see the positions of the knobs etc. Oh and it also now Comes wtih Tracktor which is miles better than BDJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

sim19 wrote:

Im using Laptops almost 8 years, It is my business as a dj, started off using tower PC a ctr monitor at a motiorcycle rally!!!! My First laptop was a Dell CPX Pentium 600 fitted with a 40gb hdd, using PCDJ Pro red edition. Still have it.

You will definitally need an external USB soundcard to listen and "q" up the next track. The sound quality from the card would be better than using the 1/8" earphone Jack. You can use the headphones from the PC or Soundcard. Ive also used the Hercules DJ consul, can be got in Argus for about e120, It is simple to use, can "q" tracks mix etc from external controlls. http://www.hercules.com/index_products.php?t=10&PHPSESSID=0f4cdf1b2e3feb05c2c28a66b79e3e75 You can "Q" and line up the beat by a coloured graph on the screen. If you are buying a laptop I would reccomend one with a bigger hard drive for storage. If you are going for second hand your best off with Usb2 as most external cards use it, (Final Scratch is firewire).

One thing about using a laptop for commercial DJing, theres a danger of PC crashing, eg Bsod!!! Blue screen of death!!!, It has happened to me infront of about 300 people!!!!!. I always carry back up ie, second laptop and origional hard copies and a cd decks to get me through!!!!!

Frank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

sim19 wrote:

Im DJing using Laptops almost 8 years!!!! It is my business as a dj, started off using tower PC a ctr monitor at a motiorcycle rally!!!! My First laptop was a Dell CPX Pentium 600 fitted with a 40gb hdd, using PCDJ Pro red edition. I still use it as it is user friendly. I also have Final Scratch which is a different thing all together using conventional Technics 1210 M2 decks.

You will definitally need an external USB soundcard to listen and "q" up the next track. The sound quality from the card would be better than using the 1/8" earphone Jack. You can use the headphones from the PC or Soundcard. Ive also used the Hercules DJ consul, can be got in Argus for about e120, It is simple to use, can "q" tracks mix etc from external controlls. http://www.hercules.com/index_products.php?t=10&PHPSESSID=0f4cdf1b2e3feb05c2c28a66b79e3e75 You can "Q" and line up the beat by a coloured graph on the screen. If you are buying a laptop I would reccomend one with the biggest hard drive for storage. I got away with just a pentium 3 600 mhz for 6 years and still have it as a back up!!!

One thing about using a laptop for commercial DJing, theres a danger of PC crashing, eg Bsod!!! Blue screen od death!!!, It has happened to me infront of about 300 people!!!!!. I always carry back up ie, second laptop and origional hard copies and a cd decks to get me through!!!!!

Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

PCDJ is the best DJ software. Yes you need an external soundcard, but I use a Trust soundcard and it works fine. The ideal laptop dj gear though is one of these but unless you win the lotto then start saving! They are about 2500Euro!

I use a Dell Latitude C640 laptop, 1Gb RAM, 1X250Gb external HDD, 1X300Gb external HDD, 1000W amp, 2X600W 15" bass bin speakers, and the karaoke plug in

You can download a trial version of PCDJ FX on the PCDJ site here as well as the Red and Blue versions.

Have a good week all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

This is a DJ sounds card for pcmcia slots - http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/3244 - works fine, personally road tested and stable drivers - never had blue screen... has 2 outs, 1 for main and the other for your headphones for preview etc...

DJ_Spider wrote:
    PCDJ is the best DJ software.

Spider, why do you like PCDJ the best? Personally I perfer Virtual DJ... Whats so good about PCDJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Have a quick question what is the best controller to get for a Mac? and will it work with Albeton Live?

Zascar wrote:
    Spider, why do you like PCDJ the best? Personally I perfer Virtual DJ... Whats so good about PCDJ?

You can scan all your tracks, load songs from other locations, CD, etc, and you have a lot of good features. I also use it for doing karaoke and the ease of having all my karaoke tracks zipped up on my HDD allows me to store a lot more. It will even read zipped music files. Good if you haven't an external hdd. Have a look on the pcdj website and download a trial, you might like it. I used it for about 10 yrs in the K and was given the program as a leaving pressie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

~Marky~ wrote:
    Have a quick question what is the best controller to get for a Mac? and will it work with Albeton Live?

check out M-Audio Torque, im using that with me powerbook works well

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

hello there ...iv tried the trial version of virtual dj and have found to be very good.
    just wondering is there any stores around dublin or somewhere near that you could buy it over the counter.iv tried pc world and a few other stores but with no luck ..cheers :confused:

pad180 wrote:
    hello there ...iv tried the trial version of virtual dj and have found to be very good.
    just wondering is there any stores around dublin or somewhere near that you could buy it over the counter.iv tried pc world and a few other stores but with no luck ..cheers :confused:

why not but online?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I currently DJ from CDs, but am thinking of going the laptop route.

I don't currently own a laptop, but am thinking of buying a basic one anyway just for messing about on. I may use it for DJing some time in the future (probably with the addition of an external USB DJ console, e.g. Hercules DJ Console MK2), but not immediately.

The question is, when buying my laptop, should I look for any specific features (beyond a decent amount of memory, disk space, etc.)?

I guess I don't need to worry about the quality/features of the soundcard, if I'm gonna get an external USB DJ console, since I believe the console acts as its own soundcard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

PeakOutput wrote: »
    id recommend not djing solely from a laptop i use serato scratch and love it

software wise id reccomend ableton its not your typical djing software but you can do anything you want with the music (practically) whic is all you want really. if you have it set up properly on a good laptop and dont clog your harddrive with **** process's you SHOULD never experience a crash

there are on-board mixers with most "djing" software and while ableton has a mixer it dosnt have your typical 2 channel dj mixer so you could buy a hardware mixer which is how alot of people use ableton from what i can see

i would stay away from traktor mixmeister etc as while they will prob do what it says on the tin......if you looking any way forward to djing in front of people or in clubs etc you simply do not see that software used by the pros and thats for a good reason

i use torq myself with my 1210's or cdj's its almost the same as serato,

i think its important to keep some sort of decks and mixer in use apart from the laptop too, maybe im old fashioned, i want to see a dj using equipment not just a mouse

torqdj wrote: »
    i use torq myself with my 1210's or cdj's its almost the same as serato,

i think its important to keep some sort of decks and mixer in use apart from the laptop too, maybe im old fashioned, i want to see a dj using equipment not just a mouse

what you quoted is from quite a while ago i now use torq xponent as i dont have room for my decks where im living. personally i dont want to look at the dj at all when im out clubbing so i dont care what he uses as long as it keeps me dancing but if im in a trainspotting mood i agree its better that the dj does not look like he is checking his email

with the xponent i can do a whole set without touching the laptop

• Advertisement

If i have a laptop and an external mixing console like the Behringer BCD3000, which has phono (red & white) master output, and I'm messing around at home and don't have an amp, and just want to listen to the output, what are my options?

Can I connect the phono master output back into my PC's (line) audio input and listen through my PC's speakers? (I think you can get a phono to 2.5mm line cable, but would the signal not need amplification?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

mambo wrote: »
    I currently DJ from CDs, but am thinking of going the laptop route.

I don't currently own a laptop, but am thinking of buying a basic one anyway just for messing about on. I may use it for DJing some time in the future (probably with the addition of an external USB DJ console, e.g. Hercules DJ Console MK2), but not immediately.

The question is, when buying my laptop, should I look for any specific features (beyond a decent amount of memory, disk space, etc.)?

I guess I don't need to worry about the quality/features of the soundcard, if I'm gonna get an external USB DJ console, since I believe the console acts as its own soundcard?

The Hercules is a pretty rubbish soundcard.

penexpers wrote: »
    The Hercules is a pretty rubbish soundcard.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you be a bit more, erm, specific? Like, in what way is it "rubbish"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

PeakOutput wrote: »
    what you quoted is from quite a while ago i now use torq xponent as i dont have room for my decks where im living. personally i dont want to look at the dj at all when im out clubbing so i dont care what he uses as long as it keeps me dancing but if im in a trainspotting mood i agree its better that the dj does not look like he is checking his email

with the xponent i can do a whole set without touching the laptop

dont get me wrong im not standing by the dj watching like a hawk, i just like to see decks in action

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Thanks for the feedback. Could you be a bit more, erm, specific? Like, in what way is it "rubbish"?

Rubbish latency, interference when the controls are being used. It's not even a great controller cos the buttons have a tendency to be quite sticky and not really responsive. I think you are much better off getting a seperate controller and sound card. Expensive, but you'll only end up upgrading like I did.

I had the 2000 and loved it at first, but after using alteratives real;ised how cack it really was. Sound quality was not great, EQ's just did not work correctly, and sometimes did not sound beatmatched no matter how hard you try. It'c cheap, and fine for messing around, but not a quality solution.

I now use the M-Audio torq Xponent and it's ten times better. Not 100% perfect (What is?)- it has it's downsides, but overall it's a cracking peice of kit.

If i have a laptop and an external mixing console like the Behringer BCD3000, which has phono (red & white) master output, and I'm messing around at home and don't have an amp, and just want to listen to the output, what are my options?

Can I connect the phono master output back into my PC's (line) audio input and listen through my PC's speakers? (I think you can get a phono to 2.5mm line cable, but would the signal not need amplification?)

I have the BCD3000 I listen to the master output through the headphones (don't want to make up my child in the room next door!).
    It is very easy to do this because there is a 'phones mix' knob which allows you to listen to the master output of the controller or listen to the channel dedicated to the headphones (the track being cued). Of course you can listen to both in the phones also.

I am not sure how to send the output into the speakers of the laptop, not sure if that is possible.

Zascar wrote: »
    I now use the M-Audio torq Xponent and it's ten times better. Not 100% perfect (What is?)- it has it's downsides, but overall it's a cracking peice of kit.

yep, I recently bought the BCD3000 controller and I am now a bit sad because the Torq Xponent looks like a nice piece of kit..very nice.

The BCD3000 is grand for an entry level controller, but by god does it have a life of its own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

good thread lads, loads of good info. downloaded the trial version of VirtualDj, it's the business, easy to use even as a total novice. had a look at that VCI-100 DJ MIDI Controller, very nice. there's a few on ebay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I have used Technics for a good while. I now have a heap of MP3's that I want to use instead of Vinyl.

I have used Final Scratch on my PC only but would like to know, has anyone used Serato along with their turntables as I would like to know what it's like for mixing and skratching etc. I was thinking of getting it from the states as I am going over very soon. Any help would be great!

mfield wrote: »
    I have used Technics for a good while. I now have a heap of MP3's that I want to use instead of Vinyl.

I have used Final Scratch on my PC only but would like to know, has anyone used Serato along with their turntables as I would like to know what it's like for mixing and skratching etc. I was thinking of getting it from the states as I am going over very soon. Any help would be great!

i used serato for about2 years up until september..............never had a crash or sound lag(had the gui lag but only for a second) building overviews takes years but you can get over that due to its reliability. excellent bit of kit as long as you have a decent laptop you wont regret buying it

I ordered and just received a Hercules MK2 console - http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/632682/art/hercules/dj-console-mk2-sound-card.html

Should be fine for me needs at the moment.

Now I just need to buy a laptop ;)

Lads I have BCD2000 for sale at the moment if anyone is intersted give me a pm

Advertisement