Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

video calls cross networks

• 21-01-2007 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

I've been on the 3 network since they first launched over here & I got the nokia 6680, a friend also got the same phone on his vodafone contract, we tested the video call & it worked perfectly,
    Fast forward to the present & the other day I was trying to make a video call to the same friend & we both got the error that the video call feature was not available on the network...I tried it with some of my others mates & they also had the same problem, has anyone had the same problem as us??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I'd say that it worked at the time of 3's launch because they piggy back on the VF network and were still under development. I'd reckon it was VFs service you were actually using at the time and now three have theirs in place they won't translate across.

I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Just to clarify, 3 own and operate their own UMTS (3G) network only. Unlike Vodafone who also own and operate their own UMTS network, 3 do not have an existing GSM (2G) network as well. 3 has an agreement with Vodafone for its customers to roam onto Vodafones GSM network as well to provide a backup service should the customer move out of range of 3s network. Vodafone's 3G network is smaller then 3's and Vodafone does not allow 3 customers onto its 3G network, only its 2G network.

Video calls, SMS and MMS messages are sent over a LAN and not the public phone network, though I could be wrong. 3 would have a VPN connection with Vodafone, O2 and Meteor for the sending of MMS messages, this connection would also be used for Video calls as well. I would assume that if video calling worked before, then it would still be working, I cannot test it because I know no-one on Vodafone with a 3G phone for me to call. However, I did notice that the ringback (the ringing tone you hear when you call someone) for Video Calls is the same one you hear if you ring a european number instead of the usual one you here when you ring an irish number. I dont know if that means anything to anyone, but I thought I would mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

Sorry, dont mean to nitpick Rodue Entity but you're half there.

Inter-Operator SMS aswell as ordinary home network handset to handset, is sent via SS7 (Signalling System #7). You may be getting confused with 3rd Party SMS (Ringtone providers etc) who mainly use the SMPP over TCP/IP standard for communicating with an SMSC.

Inter-Operator MMS, or MM4, are sent simply as SMTP messages between operators. Each operator having a VPN to the Mail Transfer Agent of the others. Home network MMS is generally carried out via a combination of SS7 and Packet switching.

Inter-Operator Video calling may or may not be supported between 3 and Vodafone over a LAN based protocol, it depends really on their implementation. As most video-calling technology uses MPEG4 compression, it would require a large costly chunk of bandwith for a facility that is rarely used....personally I dont currently think the business case for it would stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I was surprised to read this thread as I had made a VF to 3 video call only last week. I also received a 3 to VF call the same day.
    I will try it again and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've been on the 3 network since they first launched over here & I got the nokia 6680, a friend also got the same phone on his vodafone contract, we tested the video call & it worked perfectly,
    Fast forward to the present & the other day I was trying to make a video call to the same friend & we both got the error that the video call feature was not available on the network...I tried it with some of my others mates & they also had the same problem, has anyone had the same problem as us??
    one of you probably didn't have proper 3g coverage. it works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It definitely works.

And 3 have never used Vodafone's 3G network. They've had their own 3G network from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya im on 3 called a vodafone 3G friend worked perfect
    then did the same but they called me
    works fine
    top bad it isnt included in your mins though

Advertisement