Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fun stuff to do in cork city

Options
  • 21-01-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

heya al.

me and my boyfriend are heading to cork city on tuesday. we're both 19 im just wondering if any1 can suggest things to do or see while we're there???? coz im blank on ideas.. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Go kiss the Blarney stone - you can get a bus from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

cool htanks. ya its during the day we'l be in d city, foto sounds cool but if its still raining it wud be a balls..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

things to do during the day. depends on what you're into really, but here's a few ideas:

fitzgeralds park & museum - by the mardyke. cork city museum with loads of irish history (free state etc.) on the grounds of the park. don't forget to check out the "shakey bridge" (daly's bridge)

fota island as mentioned - grab train to cobh, get off at fota stop

cobh - titanic exhibition, park, pubs, chipper etc. nice place to stroll around (weather permitting!)

cinema? gate cinema on north main street. or mahon point omniplex

shop? patrick street, merchants quay shopping centre. or grab the number 10 bus to mahon point shopping centre. loads of shops, places to eat, bar, cinema etc.

eat? bar bucha on sheares street (back of mercy hospital) do a good lunch. pool tables & bar here too, good spot.

leisureplex on mac curtain street (bowling, pool, arcade games)

don't know if ye're staying tue night, but that's a student night, and city centre is buzzing on tue & thur nights.

can't think of much more, unless you're into art etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Yeah, if you are into art, visit the Crawford Art Gallery in Emmet Place (near The Opera House). The current Robert Gibbings exhibition is pretty cool, as are the permanent collection of sculpture and the many rooms upstairs full of very interesting stuff which nobody really bothers going out of there way to see!

Also, can reccoment popping up to UCC to see the Glucksman Gallery - the building itslef is worth a visit. Not sure whats currently showing there at the moment.

If it's history you're into, then the City Museum is worth a visit (in Fitzgerald park), as is the old Cork City Gaol. Cross the river near the park, over the 'shakey bridge' another cork landmark. The Gaol itself has a pretty interesting audio tour and an amazing atmosphere.

Don't go to Mahon point, you'll just feel cheated and used and dirty!!

• Advertisement

cheated used and dirty?!

a 19 year old girl...with her 19 year old boyfriend...i'm pretty sure mahon point would be a good place to recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Not really. Mahon Point (in common with a number of Cork's out of town shopping centres) is full of cloned middle aged, middle income, middle class couples who've got a couple of toddlers, he's wearing a rugby shirt and slacks, she's got far too much make-up on. Arghhh, it's hidious.
    By all means, if you want to go shopping, shop till you drop in town, where you've got real people, a real mix of old people, young people, rich/poor, cork people, tourists, hippies selling jewellery, the English Market, Brown Thomas, Virgin, Hugenot quarter, Penneys, Dunnes, Tesco, Bars, Restaurants, Bookshops, etc.etc.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. If you like shopping in an airport, Mahon Point would be ideal :)

Ps. I realise i'm gone off the point. Apologies.

well i recommended mahon point on the basis that there are shops there that are not in town...

but i agree with your point! :D

Advertisement