Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&S/Home Ec for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 21-01-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there taking this subject? (I don't expect a fast response)

If you ask me it's one of the hardest, in terms of length and (often) content. Especially length.. There are areas which are easy to study, and others that aren't. It's VERY inconsistent!

I can't complain that our project work was HALF of what the year before us had to do... At least there's that. But even still, the length of the course is sickening...

Food Studies is long and involves lots of learning in many different formats.
    Resource Management is a little more straight forward, but still LONG!!! very LONG!!!
    Social Studies seems impossible to learn, it's all just reading...
    and the Social Studies Elective is pretty long too.

I don't get it. They give us so much to learn and yet they ask so many questions that aren't from the syllabus... It's just downright mean.

Still, aiming for the A.... let's see how it goes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Also , the fact that it's on the same day as Irish... Dear God! I can't imagine the stress for the Honours Irish student...

While subjects such as Business, Economics etc are given their own day.

No fair! S&S definitely warrants its own day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

md99 wrote:
    I don't get it. They give us so much to learn and yet they ask so many questions that aren't from the syllabus... It's just downright mean.

If this happens, get your teacher to complain to the SEC through their subject association. You cannot be docked marks for a major question that is not covered by the syllabus.

It's strange that it would happen given the number of checks done on the papers in production, but in the event of an error, complain. It's possible they may decide to allow full marks for any attempt on a 'wrong' question.

spurious wrote:
    If this happens, get your teacher to complain to the SEC through their subject association. You cannot be docked marks for a major question that is not covered by the syllabus.

It's strange that it would happen given the number of checks done on the papers in production, but in the event of an error, complain. It's possible they may decide to allow full marks for any attempt on a 'wrong' question.

Sorry, what I meant by that was questions which aren't directly from the syllabus, but are common-sense related, ie advise to a family regarding their finances, advise regarding nutrition relating to a table given in the question etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think the Home Ec course is ridiculous, my class in particular is terrible. I'm not allowed to take notes in class and all I learn about is "back in the old days when men used to beat their wives in front of their kids.....no-one left to help the handicapped children......pregnant women's teeth tend to rot" etc.

And I'm meant to be taking honours.

Not to mention the DIFFICULTY of the paper...

They're trying to combat the old theory of Home Ec being an easy-pointer for the Leaving, like its Junior Cert counterpart was, but they're really overdoing it. The short questions, in particular, are extremely difficult.

The subject CAN be done, it will just take a VERY LONG time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thebindles88

In All fairness we do have the best group of student to get the job done! like full attendance every day :D

and the most inventive teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 x-xRaCheLx-x

i dont think the teachers have that good a grasp of the course yet either...it rellly is soooo unbelievably long and the choice isnt fantastic on the paper either...its still one of my favourite subjects but my teacher went on maternity leave and now i have this dog of a teacher who's about 2 years older than me (ok nt rlly cz d whole teachin thing is like 4 years long + exp etc bt shes prety damn young) n shes about as clueless as we are...and as for nutrition...are we doin the leavin cert or a science degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

its long but its easy at the same time, if u think about it....all the info is there for u, its like everything else in this poxy Leaving Cert....learn it off and u'll be ok...

if anyone figures out how to do this please let me know... :)

lilmizzme wrote:
    its long but its easy at the same time, if u think about it....all the info is there for u, its like everything else in this poxy Leaving Cert....learn it off and u'll be ok...

if anyone figures out how to do this please let me know... :)

You may be okay for a D or C, but a B or A is a different matter... About half of learning the course is easy, and about half is far from easy...

I'm sorry but it is impossible to easily cram the stuff on this course as you could with, say, business... There's a lot of understanding on top if it. Difficult course... That said, it is doable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

md99 wrote:
    You may be okay for a D or C, but a B or A is a different matter... About half of learning the course is easy, and about half is far from easy...

I'm sorry but it is impossible to easily cram the stuff on this course as you could with, say, business... There's a lot of understanding on top if it. Difficult course... That said, it is doable..

Whats not to understand??Fair enough, the food science is difficult, if your not very sciency minded, but the rest is just words! I said nothing about cramming, I mean sitting down and studying it. Learning whats in front of you. All the info is there that you need. Of course, easier said then done, but I honestly think Home Ec is one of my easier subjects..

Oh, and yeah, cramming the course will get you a D. Doing it properly will get you an A or a B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

I feel your pain people!

If things weren't bad enough our teacher was MIA for the 1st 2 months of the year and they didn't get us a sub so we just had to try and teach ourselves which would've been okay but we were on nutrition!
    Then she came back for all of 5 weeks and then went on maternity leave!

We now have a dietician teaching us who doesnt get the course at all and has spent the last two weeks teaching us about the advantages of blueberries in the diet! It's ridiculous!

Thank god our journals were done in 5th year!

As arkward as the subject is, it's easy to get a C or D in my opinion but after that you have to be so accurate that i find it impossibile to get anything higher than a B.

And for some reason the short questions on the mock were harder than the long questions! Any one else think they were hard?

Good luck to all of you in june!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

aragh sure isnt it grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

I know it won't help but I done my Leaving in 2001 when it was the Old Home Ec Course.

I joined Home Ec at Christmas of 6th Year and still managed to get a B2 in Higher Level.

It was perhaps the easiest exam I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

home-ec isnt too bad in the way of learning things..........its more understanding it and having an interest in the course!! got an A2 in the mock, was delighted. hoping for the A1 now in june.

Advertisement