Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (Hons) in Counselling & Psychotherapy

Options
  • 21-01-2007 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,

I want to enrol in CIT in Sept for their evening certificate course in counselling, which eventually works up to their BA in Counselling & Psychotherapy. It's tough to get into though, places are limited & they usually have more applicants than places, entry is based on an interview & written references. I'm hoping if anyone here has done the course or something similar, they might be able to recommend some pre-application reading material. There is practically an infinite supply of counselling, psychology & psychotherapy texts out there so I have no idea where I should start. I honestly am a blank book on the subject, but I really want a career change & given a recent personal experience, I think counselling is where I should be working.

All advice greatly appreciated!
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I'm doing a BA in Counselling & Psychotherapy in DBS college at the moment, there was not an entry interview, instead they do a few feedback sessions/interviews during the year. I may be talking rubbish here but from what I've heard the entry interviews in some of the courses are more about you as opposed to what you know, so my advice would to go in and be yourself.
    I can give you the names of some of the books we're looking at in first year if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

Hi krankykitty,

The books would be a great help, thanks! I've been doing some research & based on what I've read, it seems the interview is to assess where I'm at in my life, & to see what kind of life experience I have. From what I gather, my life experience plays an integral part in getting a place. Here's hoping I have enough!

Thanks for the advice as well, it's very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Some of the books we used for the counselling skills part of the course were:

On Becoming a Person – Carl Rogers
    Integrative Counselling Skills in Action – Culley, Bond
    Person Centered Counselling in Action – Mearns, Thorne
    Counselling Skills – Margaret Hough

I think for the interview though they would probably be looking for self awareness or personal development. Having a look at the books might give you an inkling of what the course could be about. You can't probably prepare for this sort of interview as they just want you to be honest I think.

Best of luck and hope it works out, feel free to post or PM if you have any other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nalod

Angelicious OR anyone you may be able to help me, I want to enrol in above course. Can you please tell me how to get info on cit (do you mean cork or castlebar it).Can not get this info on Galway and Castlebar it website. Dublin is not suitable.If anyone has details on west of Irl locations it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I believe in this case, CIT is the Cork Institute of Technology

• Advertisement
Advertisement