Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best League In The World

• 21-01-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Which country has the best league 81 votes

England
    0%
    France
    41%
    WhiteWashManMossy MonkThe Clown Mansuper_furryRaskolnikovbucks73EnergizerLafortezzaHelixKoldGillieDeviousKingp35wanabeevad_lhorggary the greatDoctorEdgeWildJimboo_JonesDanger_Daveshoutman 34 votes
    Germany
    1%
    tuxy 1 vote
    Italy
    0%
    Spain
    8%
    SeanehDerekD GoldfisheirebhoyThE_IVIAcIVIAIVGileadiiregkgodtabh 7 votes
    Argentina
    46%
    PHBDont be at yourselfcournioniRuu_OldChongradiospanBatemanDapperGentMisterAnarchyjankVillainquarrymangimmickBig EarscruiserweightBadabingbohsmanziggyel rabitosapplehunter 38 votes
    Brazil
    1%
    Thanx 4 The Fish 1 vote
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

France
    went for england meself

ive always found the other leagues a bit too technical at times, tending to lead to slower games

so personal preference dictates the hell for leather league comes up trumps for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Argentina
    Spanish league for me.
    The average game is of a good standard .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

France
    I voted for the English league. Even though it is ruined by corruption and an excess of money, and might not have the finest technicians, I think it still provides more entertaining football.
    Of course, the best league in the world in practical terms is the one in your own country ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

France
    english league for me too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What leagues do you watch on a regular basis?

Best in terms of what?

Eircom league, purely because there is less of a gulf between the top and bottom sides, thus more competitive. But, like most of the respondents, I don't get the chance to see the Brazilian, Dutch, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish, Japanese etc leagues, so my opinion is worth f.a!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Argentina
    Champions League is prob the best :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

France
    England has the best league but its the Championship, not the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

France
    england has a bit of everything thrown in, unlike some of the other leagues. you cant beat the atmosphere/passion of a premier league game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Argentina
    Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS
    1 Barcelona______ 18 7 2 0 22 4 4 3 2 17 12 23 38
    2 Sevilla_________ 19 8 0 1 22 6 4 2 4 15 13 18 38
    3 Real Madrid_____ 19 5 2 2 12 8 7 0 3 16 8 12 38
    4 Valencia_______ 19 7 1 1 20 4 4 2 4 8 11 13 36
    5 Atletico Madrid__ 19 5 2 3 11 8 5 3 1 14 5 12 35

Top 5 teams currently separated by only 3 points. Spain gets my vote on all counts - highest standard of football, unpredictability, entertainment and competitiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Argentina
    Another vote for Spain. Not much point in debating this one; people have their opinions that aren't going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Spain
    i@ve been following Italian football since 1990 due to the world cup and the fact it was the first football I was exposed to.

Its a technical game but if the Premiership could play football like that it would be the best league in the world. But for me it cant touch Italian or Spanish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Argentina
    england has a bit of everything thrown in, unlike some of the other leagues. you cant beat the atmosphere/passion of a premier league game.

You've gotta be joking???!!!! The atmosphere at Premier League games in England is shockingly bad!!!!! There's a better atmosphere at some games here with 2-3,000 at them than a lot of games in England with 30-60,000 at them.

La Liga is best standard imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

France
    Prem by a good bit IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Argentina
    Although Sky have brainwashed a lot of folk into thinking that their massive investment is the best in Europe I think quality wins and that has to be Spain.

Argentina
    Zebra3 wrote:
    You've gotta be joking???!!!! The atmosphere at Premier League games in England is shockingly bad!!!!! There's a better atmosphere at some games here with 2-3,000 at them than a lot of games in England with 30-60,000 at them.

La Liga is best standard imo.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Brazil
    Having been to a game in Argentian, I would have to disagree with you.

All of the things that you will see at a premier league game over a season you will see in one Argentinian match. Passion, skill, strength, amazing movement on and off the ball and an understanding that comes fomr playing footy with the same lads for 10 - 15 years through the youths and going all of the way together into the senior team.

Anyway having seen quite a few games from most of the leagues mentioned I went for the Argies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Argentina for passion,
    Premiership for standard and pace,
    La Liga for goals and skill,
    The Championship for sheer unpredictability,
    SPL for reliable bets,
    Eircom League for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

France
    premiership as it is the only league to excite me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Argentina
    Spanish league here, very silky skilled players and good goals all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Argentina
    La Liga for me. I would watch more Spanish football on Sky than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

France
    English Premier League for me. With even bigger tv deals and Italian football shooting itself in the foot, English football is going to extend its lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Spain
    I've gone for Italy. Sure its having a bad period now but it wil be back. The prem is at times a bit kick adn rush for me. Italy has better technical and tactical games. Even games down the bottom of serie a are great to watch. Lower premier games are dire. So for me its Serie A, La Liga, Prem.

As for the comment about other countries not having the athmosphere of the prem your having a laugh. I've been to games in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Holland. Each time the premiership has not even come close to any of these countries I have been to. The best I've experienced in England was the old kop and even that hadn't a patch on when I went to see Dortmund play Frankfurt. The Wall is something else! Best athmosphere I have ever been to. Bar the curva sud for a Milan derby, but thats biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

France
    The English premiership by a mile. They've got the players, the fans are passionate, the games are not as technical as in Spain or Italy, but way more exciting to watch. Great crowds at the games too. people may not agree. but in Spain and Italy the stadiums are half full unless the top teams are playing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Argentina
    Have to say La Liga - its the most exciting league in the world, IMO.

The Premiership has its moments (Like last weekend), but on a consistent basis, La Liga wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Spain
    I get the most enjoyment out of the Eircom League I think Itlay is better quality than England but I dont ahve sky so I dont see enogh of la liga to judge it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

France
    I voted English but Spain has the best technical quality.

While Spain has the best technical quality it's full of sissies. I was living there last year and spent nearly the whole season watching only spanish football (other than CL). The quality of football in nearly all games was phenomenal. Great passing, attacking and defending. But most games were ruined by players faining injury and taking forever to leave the pitch when they were 'injured'. It really destroys the flow of the games.
    And it's even worse in some of the big derbies. Real M and Barca - Madrid were the worst. Sevilla v Betis these games were crazy - in a bad way. The games were so stop start and men who were supposedly passionate about the match and hate the opposition were rolling around on the ground crying like babies.
    I don't like diving. But, when the flow of the game is ruined by players taking forever to get up after they have hit the ground - I just can't stand it.

There is less of that in the Prem. But the problem is there are so many teams that don't get the ball down and pass it- ie. play proper football.
    But, there are a handful of teams who can play really attractive football. So there are plenty of good battles to be watched. Although there are a lot of poor teams as well it's a price worth paying imo.

In Italy except for AC Milan the football is shocking bad. They have no conviction going forward. I used to watch a fair bit of Seria A but gave up. They are so defensively minded. Good defending is important but so is attacking. So many times you will see a team only attacking with four men max. And they never try to keep possession. It's crap football. This is except for AC Milan of course. They try to play proper football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Spain
    iregk wrote:
    I've gone for Italy. Sure its having a bad period now but it wil be back. The prem is at times a bit kick adn rush for me. Italy has better technical and tactical games. Even games down the bottom of serie a are great to watch. Lower premier games are dire. So for me its Serie A, La Liga, Prem.

As for the comment about other countries not having the athmosphere of the prem your having a laugh. I've been to games in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Holland. Each time the premiership has not even come close to any of these countries I have been to. The best I've experienced in England was the old kop and even that hadn't a patch on when I went to see Dortmund play Frankfurt. The Wall is something else! Best athmosphere I have ever been to. Bar the curva sud for a Milan derby, but thats biased.

Haha, exactly my thoughts, right down to the curva sud!

Spain
    Seaneh wrote:
    Haha, exactly my thoughts, right down to the curva sud!

I thought you would have been more a Curva Nord fan Seaneh no?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

France
    The Premiership for me by a mile.
    Simply because of games like this seasons Everton/Chelsea match or Arsenal/Manu from the weekend.
    That's what it's all about!

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    The Premiership for me by a mile.
    Simply because of games like this seasons Everton/Chelsea match or Arsenal/Manu from the weekend.
    That's what it's all about!
    But that proves nothing, every league has games as exciting as those.

Inter Milan 4-3 Chievo
    AC Milan 3-4 Inter Milan

... as one little example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I would have to say spains La Liga with out doubt for me, but i do watch more premiership games then spanish :rolleyes: . I would watch Barca, Real or Valencia on SKY.

I would have to say spains La Liga with out doubt for me, but i do watch more premiership games then spanish :rolleyes: . I would watch Barca, Real or Valencia on SKY.
    Why not Sevilla? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Argentina
    This post has been deleted.

Spain
    iregk wrote:
    I thought you would have been more a Curva Nord fan Seaneh no?:D

I'm an A.C. Fan... What on earth made you think I support Inter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ziggy67 wrote:
    So are you saying that the Championship is the best league in the world?

Whatever league the team you support is in, thats the league most people will think is the best in the World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Why not Sevilla? :)

Sevilla ? I'd do watch them, but only if there playing Barca, Real or Valencia :)
    There having a great season and have some great young players. Id watch them the odd time Mr.Joe;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

France
    EPL for me everytime.

its unpredictable, form can go out the window at a moments notice, but at the end of the season, those teams that deserve to win, win.

but then again, i havent been to a match in italy, spain, argentina, or brazil, so i can only compare ireland and EPL :)

football on tv is a completely different thing.

Argentina
    Seaneh wrote:

Did you not feel bad running them out of town 25 years ago then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Argentina
    La Liga for me. The gap in the top half of the table isn't as big as it is in the premier league.The quality of the teams are of a far higher standard than in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

France
    Premiership for me too :)

MD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Spain
    Seaneh wrote:

I didn't I was joking. Kearnsr is the Inter fan in here. I know yourself and myself were the AC representers.

France
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    But that proves nothing, every league has games as exciting as those.

Inter Milan 4-3 Chievo
    AC Milan 3-4 Inter Milan

... as one little example.

I wasn't referring to the scorelines but the matches themselves!
    Anyway it's just my opinion.

I take it that the Italian League is your favourite?

France
    Whatever league the team you support is in, thats the league most people will think is the best in the World.

Well I support Celtic but I KNOW that the SPL is not the best in the world.
    Although it is improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

France
    went for the EPL myself due to the fact i never watch any other league,well apart from the english lower divisions

Gillie wrote:
    I wasn't referring to the scorelines but the matches themselves!
    Anyway it's just my opinion.

Me too.
    Gillie wrote:
    I take it that the Italian League is your favourite?

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Argentina
    Seaneh wrote:
    Hehe dont go to Milan and say you support "A.C" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Spain
    2 of the best matches I've watched this season.

Milan v Roma last week
    Roma v Milan tonight

I'm talking a shot on goal every single minute. End to end stuff. Fantastic.

Spain
    Bateman wrote:
    Did you not feel bad running them out of town 25 years ago then? :D

Nope, im 22!

Besides they were treated very well when they visited athlone, there are even pictures of the game hanging in Milanello!

Spain
    gustavo wrote:
    Hehe dont go to Milan and say you support "A.C" !

Didn't want to confuse the peons :P

When I go to milan I dont say anything, I just wear rossenari!

• Advertisement
Advertisement