Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

htc kaiser?

• 21-01-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    anyone know anything about the htc kaiser.
    from what i've read it looks like a thinner version of the htc tytn WITH gps.

that means 3g, slider qwerty, bt, wifi, gps- could be a killer device.

not sure about the memory expandability options though- i hope
    it's sdhc-compatible (meaning up to 32gb storage IIRC).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

yeah heard about this..doubt it will be sdhc cos will need to be full size sd cards...if the device is thinner it will micro sd.
    using a 8gig sdhc on my new treo 650 with custom rom supporting sdhc...eat that htc and iphone!!!(i dunno did i downgrade...o2 xda minis to treo?....but boy do i like the form factor...perrrfect!!)

mkennedy,did you finally get a new pda...still waiting maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    yeah heard about this..doubt it will be sdhc cos will need to be full size sd cards...if the device is thinner it will micro sd.
    using a 8gig sdhc on my new treo 650 with custom rom supporting sdhc...eat that htc and iphone!!!(i dunno did i downgrade...o2 xda minis to treo?....but boy do i like the form factor...perrrfect!!)

mkennedy,did you finally get a new pda...still waiting maybe?

yeah, i got the eten x500 recently.

cool device with a nice form factor. it's touted as the thinnest pocketpc-phone with both wifi and gps (about 15mm thick).

it also has bluetooth, fm radio and 400mhz processor (no 3g or slider qwerty though-the m700 has a slider qwerty).

with those specs it's a great device but i'm having a problem with the email on my device so i'm just waiting to get that fixed at the moment.
    i must say integrated gps on a phone is very cool though.

did you say you have an 8gb sd card? i didn't think those existed yet.

also if as you say sdhc only applies to sd and not mini/micro-sd that's pretty crap.

what os is on your treo 650. is it wm5 or palm?
    the treos have a nice form factor but the 650 lacks wifi doesn't it.

it run palmos....wwwaaayyyy faster,everything is instant...no lag compared to the xda.its an older os but at the mo its suiting me down to the ground!lack of wifi doesnt bother me...never really used on the xda.
    have being looking at the palm 750v as a upgrade path which runs wm5.not really pushed about gps,as i just leave bt reciever in the car and ahve a dedicated gps for trekking etc.
    id say there will mini sd sdhc soon enough..id say micro sd is a long way off...but you never now,to make something sdhc compatiple it just takes a sofware upgrade...not hardware as i found with my treo.
    one prob i find on the treo with 8gig is that it reads the capacity as 4gig but you can put 8gig into it...its a format error i think..better nothing id say!!!
    phones with slideout keyboards are great but it impossible for onehanded operation which is essential for me...thats where the treo shines!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The O2 Orbit (made by HTC I think) sounds like the Kaiser (without the keyboard). It's one I'm currently putting the pennies away for.

The O2 Orbit (made by HTC I think) sounds like the Kaiser (without the keyboard). It's one I'm currently putting the pennies away for.

yeah, the orbit is o2's version of the htc artemis which is a direct competitor with the eten x500- pretty much exactly the same specs but it only has a 200mhz processor compared to the eten's 400mhz one. i was considering getting one myself only for the weak (?) processor.
    the artemis/orbit imho has a lovely design though.

also, the orbit may have its wifi disabled by o2- the artemis was released in germany as the mda compact III with it's wifi disabled by t-mobile.

the kaiser apparently will be 3g enabled as well as having the slider beating both the eten and the artemis in those respects.

@damo86, i just googled 8gb sd card and i see toshiba were due to release one this january for $340 what's that about €280 or something! how much did yours set you back?
    can't see much else on 8gb-must be fairly cutting edge.

interesting you say all sdhc requires is a software upgrade- do you think most new devices would be compatible then- i know the treo 650 has been around for a while now and you say it's compatible.

• Advertisement

mkennedy wrote:
    yeah, the orbit is o2's version of the htc artemis which is a direct competitor with the eten x500- pretty much exactly the same specs but it only has a 200mhz processor compared to the eten's 400mhz one. i was considering getting one myself only for the weak (?) processor.
    the artemis/orbit imho has a lovely design though.

also, the orbit may have its wifi disabled by o2- the artemis was released in germany as the mda compact III with it's wifi disabled by t-mobile.

the kaiser apparently will be 3g enabled as well as having the slider beating both the eten and the artemis in those respects.

@damo86, i just googled 8gb sd card and i see toshiba were due to release one this january for $340 what's that about €280 or something! how much did yours set you back?
    can't see much else on 8gb-must be fairly cutting edge.

interesting you say all sdhc requires is a software upgrade- do you think most new devices would be compatible then- i know the treo 650 has been around for a while now and you say it's compatible.
    heres the link from where i got my 650 to work http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=132339&highlight=sdhc

friend of mine bought one from america..there dirt cheap,its a transcend one,heres a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208088,dont where you got your prices from!

the sd card you quoted was prob a normal sd card.

damo86 wrote:
    heres the link from where i got my 650 to work http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=132339&highlight=sdhc

friend of mine bought one from america..there dirt cheap,its a transcend one,heres a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208088,dont where you got your prices from!

the sd card you quoted was prob a normal sd card.

ok, cool.
    it's just i saw a thread in engadget back in august 2006 about the first pretec 8bg sdhc card here www.engadget.com/2006/08/31/pretec-releases-first-8gb-sdhc-card
    it links to this www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=6609 which quoted the card as $299. maybe prices have come down a lot since then though.

that treo software upgrade is very interesting. lucky **** ;)

it's amazing given the doubt surrounding the compatability of newer devices with sdhc that the treo can be used with these cards just like that. that was the general sentiment in the thread as well :)
    i just hope it's as easy to do with other devices.

did you get the treo on the strength of that info or did you find out later?

now theoretically you have up to 32gb of storage available on your phone-what are you going to use it for-music, movies and maps are the things i always find i need a lot more memory for. do you still use mapopolis btw on the treo?

no didn't know about it,bought the treo for the formfactor.
    I use the card for music and use softick audio gateway for a2dp bluetooth headphones!
    I still use mapopolis but the palm version is a pile of poo!!!might have to look elsewhere..but its fine for now.

Advertisement