Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting on the internet in awkward location

Options
  • 21-01-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

This is probably a shot in the dark...

My wife and I are planning to emigrate to Portugal, I however need an internet connection for my work. We are looking initially for a property to rent, some of these have no telephone connections and I can't afford to have any down time.

So I basically need an internet connection, up and running within days after I move there. Now I'm not so aware of the technological options, outside of your run of the mill broadband connection. There is the satelite option, but this would only be really appropiate for if and when we actually buy a place there. Is there some other convenient technology I could use that people are aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Two options
    1/ 3G Dependant on coverage and provider options
    2/ Inmarsat BGAN, not cheap and not all that fast but it's a Portable satellite solution
    http://broadband.inmarsat.com/about/benefits.aspx

.brendan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

portugal also has Tetra, we do not but we are primitive in this country . see

http://www.zapp.pt/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ordinary Satellite 2 way is about 800 Euro install and 99 Euro per month. It can in theory be used in most of Europe. Digiweb certianly can use same sat gear in Ireland & Italy.

But DSL is surely available?

3G may only give 28K to 200K depending on if it is falling back to GPRS only on some cells and cell loading.

BGAN is very portable. Like everytime you stop to picnic, of its own batteries. Regular satellite needs usually mains & takes about 15 minutes to aling for an expert (assuming there is a mount). Though I have seen a DIY home VSAT mounted on a truck with invertors / adaptors for power! Regular 2 way satellite needs about 50W to 100W total, though uplink is about 4W TX power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Thanks for the info so far.
    watty wrote:
    But DSL is surely available?
    DSL is not available in some of the areas we are looking to live, it's rural Portugal and we may end up living in an isolated area.. Also some of the houses we are looking at to rent do not have a telephone line, so even if DSL was available it would take too long to get set up. As I say I can't afford any downtime, it's vital for my work that I'm online.

Tbh I'm confused by all these options, I've looked at the various websites but finding it hard to decipher the marketing jargon from what it is they actually do and offer. But I'll keep looking and hopefully will figure it out.

had to get zapp.pt google translated so everything is not clear, is there service basically 3G?

BGAN - This is probably a stupid question, I presume you don't need a connection to a work office? Their marketing blurb about this has kinda thrown me a bit so just making sure.

Basically within reason I'm not bothered about the cost.

In order of importance to me are
    1. Reliability. (By far the most important to me. I'm an online poker player and a dropped connection can be disastrous for me.)
    2. Speed
    3. Portability
    4. Ease of Use.
    5. Cost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

luckylucky wrote:
    had to get zapp.pt google translated so everything is not clear, is there service basically 3G?

Its basically Tetra like you were told it was :(

Tetra is not 3g and 3g is not tetra.

Had I meant 3g I would have said 3g .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its basically Tetra like you were told it was :(

Tetra is not 3g and 3g is not tetra.

Had I meant 3g I would have said 3g .

Jeez calm down calm down, remember I'm ignorant of this stuff and am a bit befuddled. I did look up what TETRA was and had checked it on wikipedia.org but I didn't quite get all that it entailed on first reading. There was no direct mention that I saw there about connecting to the internet in the definition, so that kinda threw me a bit.

Anyway I'm sure with a bit of further research I'll get a better grasp of these things and won't be trying those who know better's patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

luckylucky wrote:
    Thanks for the info so far.

BGAN - This is probably a stupid question, I presume you don't need a connection to a work office? Their marketing blurb about this has kinda thrown me a bit so just making sure.

Basically within reason I'm not bothered about the cost.
    BGAN is reliable and will work almost anywhere, Not cheap though

http://www.humanedgetech.com/page/rbgan.htm

.brendan

Advertisement