Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-Auto Shotgun Magazine Limit

Options
  • 21-01-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Here's hoping someone may be able to clarify a query in relation to semi-auto shotgun magazine limit.

All semi-auto shotguns come new with a plug inserted which limits the capacity of the shotgun to three cartridges - one in the breech and two in the magazine.

The query is can the plug be removed for vermin shooting?

Is the three shot limit only applicable to game shooting or does it apply to all manners of shooting?

I understood that the limit was for all types of shooting but a friend insists that it only applies to game shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Your friends right the 2+1 rule applies to game shooting only

Wildfowl rabbits foxes pigeons crows etc can be shot using semi's and pumps with as big a mag as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Yeap your friend is correct, 3 max for game only.

Get yourself a good drum mag for vermin!! :) There's no limit there. Its a pretty stupid law to be honest, who is to know if your shooting game or vermin when your out in the fields. You can simply carry the plug with you since its only a wooden dowel and shoot away at game or vermin and simply state that you had a plug in when shooting the game**

** I wouldn't advise doing this since its simply bold and against the law!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

The reason I was unsure was that the Wildlife Act 1976, Section 33, states:

33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    ( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

It does not state that the bird is a protected bird or a game bird ( as it does when discussing rifles) therefore any wild bird could be crow, pigeon, (vermin) etc.

Am i misunderstanding the wording or is there further legislation regarding this matter?

Thanks

Advertisement