Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor spelling and grammar on Boards

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Maybe this belongs in another forum, feel free to move as appropriate ...

Is it just me, or are other people astounded by the poor spelling displayed by many boards posters? There are some obvious typos, which is fair enough, and some people are dyslexic, but some of the mistakes are not explained like this - one example I saw recently was someone giving something "a wide birth".

Is this a sign of the continued "dumbing down" of Irish society?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

loads of people just can't spell... if you don't spend much time reading and seeing how the words should look you're only going to be going by phonetics.

wouldn't say it's dumbing down, but it does look dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

finally someone says it! :)

I sometimes sit back, look, and go "what the fuck". Some are just so bad it's unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some of us think A and type B for some reason (and I'm one of them!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

professore wrote:
    Meh. People can be pretty anal about the English language.

Sure, people might be dumbing down because they didn't have some Christian Brother whack spellings into them with a blunt wooden object, but also remember that English as a language is constantly evolving and this may only be a part of the process. Look at the way the first American Standard Dictionary, published in the 19th Century, sought to consciously redefine the way words are spelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I don't usually mind misspellings if that's all they are, but it's the mixing up of "they're", "there", "their" etc. and wen peeps tlk lk dis r DiS that pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

professore wrote:
    one example I saw recently was someone giving something "a wide birth".
    "Garda Traffic Core", "Air Core" and "for all intensive purposes" - used in the past couple of days.

The misuse of the apostrophe in plural words is annoying, e.g. "taxi's".

I always have trouble spelling the word "manoeuvre". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

If you wish to access the Spell Czechs forum send a PM to either Tar.Aldarion or Hullaballoo and they'll sort you out:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Indeed. This forum is for the discussion of language and how it evolved etc. If you want to discuss that, go ahead. However it is not the place for being a grammar Nazi, or nitpicking other peoples spelling. I'll leave this thread open for now, but if you want to discuss specific posts, go to Spell Czechs!

Has this thread always been here, or was it shifted in from somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

professore wrote:
    Maybe this belongs in another forum, feel free to move as appropriate ...

Is it just me, or are other people astounded by the poor spelling displayed by many boards posters? There are some obvious typos, which is fair enough, and some people are dyslexic, but some of the mistakes are not explained like this - one example I saw recently was someone giving something "a wide birth".

I was in a shop yesterday buying a newspaper, in front of me; in the queue were two secondary school boys, maybe 14 / 15. They were pushing each other and generally messing, one of them got fed up and said to the other “your some ****ing spa boy” in an unimaginably horrible accent. Yes we are dumbing down, big time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I always have trouble spelling the word "manoeuvre". :(
    It's easier if you picture a ligature (is that the right word?) for the diphthong in the middle: "manœuvre".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They were pushing each other and generally messing, one of them got fed up and said to the other “your some ****ing spa boy” in an unimaginably horrible accent.

You mean you could actually hear the missing 're? How frightfully common they must have been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Scraggs wrote:
    If you wish to access the Spell Czechs forum send a PM to either Tar.Aldarion or Hullaballoo and they'll sort you out:)
    People shall flock to our reformation of humanity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Faith wrote:
    Indeed. This forum is for the discussion of language and how it evolved etc. If you want to discuss that, go ahead. However it is not the place for being a grammar Nazi, or nitpicking other peoples spelling. I'll leave this thread open for now, but if you want to discuss specific posts, go to Spell Czechs!

Has this thread always been here, or was it shifted in from somewhere else?

The standard of spelling and grammar on Boards can be appalling.

This is a general countrywide issue, and is not being just being a Grammar Nazi or nitpicking. Nobody minds the odd typo/spelling error/ grammatical error,however the general standard is so frikken low from supposedly educated people.
    It reflects very badly on the current education system,which in my opinion has deteriorated so badly that even the most basic rudiments of spelling/grammar/geography are a challenge .

I totally agree with the OP,time someone said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This is a general countrywide issue, and is not being just being a Grammar Nazi or nitpicking. Nobody minds the odd typo/spelling error/ grammatical error,however the general standard is so frikken low from supposedly educated people.
    It reflects very badly on the current education system,which in my opinion has deteriorated so badly that even the most basic rudiments of spelling/grammar/geography are a challenge .

You know what's bothering me right now, this very minute? The thread in consumer issues talking about an exercise machine. A "threadmill".
    Arghhhhh.
    Yes, there are a hell of a lot of stupid errors in so many posts. Especially in AH. It's unbelievable.

Yes, somebody has said it. Many times. So much so, in fact, that boards has it's very own forum for discussing it.

Bluewolf - the issue of "th" seems to be a big one in Ireland. So many people omit it from words when they're speaking, and add it incorrectly to other words. A prime example is "trash" and "thrash" (this is probably more a Cork thing, though). Trash = rubbish, garbage. Trash = to flail around, or to beat something. Cork people have an awful habit of saying "That program was awful thrash" and it drives me insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

bluewolf wrote:
    A "threadmill".

Excellent ! A definition of boards.ie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Faith wrote:
    Yes, somebody has said it. Many times. So much so, in fact, that boards has it's very own forum for discussing it.

Bluewolf - the issue of "th" seems to be a big one in Ireland. So many people omit it from words when they're speaking, and add it incorrectly to other words. A prime example is "trash" and "thrash" (this is probably more a Cork thing, though). Trash = rubbish, garbage. Trash = to flail around, or to beat something. Cork people have an awful habit of saying "That program was awful thrash" and it drives me insane!

I always considered it likely that the 'Thurty Three and a Turd' pronunciation often heard bore some relation to the Gaelic for the number three - a trí.

Faith wrote:

Well ,tell me why I cannot access it please??

Scraggs wrote:

It's a private forum.

Is it?

Erm...right,thats that then.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Well ,tell me why I cannot access it please??
    It is as Faith has said a private forum but if you wish to access it the mods Hullaballoo or Tar.Aldarion will sort you out if you PM them.

Advertisement