Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should guards have minimum fitness requirements?

• 22-01-2007 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I always see chubby guards strollin around and think to myself Would they be able to run after and catch a robber/perp if they needed to?

Not tryin to be shallow or offensive, but it seems as if once they get into the guards they can chilax

Are there any followups in terms of fitness checks as opposed to health checks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Yes they should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How often does a Gaurd actually have to chase someone down on foot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sangre wrote:

How long is a piece of string?

They should have reasonably frequent fitness tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

unreggd wrote:
    I always see chubby guards strollin around and think to myself Would they be able to run after and catch a robber/perp if they needed to?

Not tryin to be shallow or offensive, but it seems as if once they get into the guards they can chilax

Are there any followups in terms of fitness checks as opposed to health checks?

Dont think so unless they are applying for a particular unit or promotion or something.

Its to their own benefit to be fit in case the need to rrrruuuunnnnnn arises.

Guess it also depends on their particular job - some are assigned to desk duty. Not hard to get a fat ass sitting around all day like any other pencil pusher and if your not out in the thick of the action you may not realise how unfit you have become.

Course they have to run after people on foot Sangre. When on the 'beat' walking. When in cars they sometimes have to get out ya know - the crims dont come up and jump into the squad car afaik they usually leggit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

unreggd wrote:
    chilax

to hell with you!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sangre wrote:
    but what about that one time when they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Thats weird, I was actually just thinkin about this yesterday. Yes I do think they should have periodic fitness checks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yes they should, whether they have desk job or not because there will come a time when they hve to chase someone down.
    Incidently the fattest guard I have ever seen works outside the Dáil. Obviously its an important job :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You see them legging it around the city centre a fair bit - they're patrolling an area and there's an incident nearby. Usually its pretty embarrassing to watch, they're mostly pretty heavy, and theyre laden down with their stupid uniforms.

Im sure 9 times out of 10 its nothing too serious, and it doesnt matter if they arrive in 60 seconds or 90, but theres always that one time. So, yeah, I think they should have periodic fitness checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They do have tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was under the impression they had to do a fairly decent fitness test to actually get in in the first place...no?

The first two years they have to pass regular fitness tests. No more after that.

Almost impossible to keep fit on the Garda regular unit shift.

Monthly Roster consists of:

One weekend off a month.
    7 nights monday to sunday 10pm - 6am (v tired that week - no training sleep more important)
    Monday and Tuesday off (bear in mind you finish work at 6am Monday morning its classed as a day off)
    Back to work Wednesday at 2pm. (Next day off is exactly one week away!)
    (off wednesday and thursday and hopefully none of your cases are in court that day)
    Back to work Friday next day off is the one and only weekend off a month but its a long weekend - your off friday sat and sun. nights again repeat.
    These three weeks before the next week of nights consist of Late shifts (2pm - 10pm and Early shifts 6am - 2pm)

These shifts are mixed - which means that if you finish at 10pm then your back in at 6am a few times a month. Finish at ten commute home max sleep you will get before getting up for work is realistically 4-6hours.
    Factor in the fatigue, the court dates on your days off that you could be sacked for if you miss! At least disiplined and fined wages! Irregular meal times a naturally stressful job and no circadian rhythm and forget fitness.
    Anyone serious about fitness knows that sleep and reuglar good food is essential to be at your optimal.
    So these Gardai are going around sleep starved cranky and generally annoyed
    it all makes sense lol

and yes our frontline police should be well fit and should be able to chase people down if and when needed. Its what they are there for!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Well it seems we are a nation of fatties so its all relevant , fat cops and fat robbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Kingp35 wrote:
    Incidently the fattest guard I have ever seen works outside the Dáil. Obviously its an important job :rolleyes:

I've seen him, he couldn't catch a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

One of my friends was a garda, he was fit and healthy when he joined within 3 years he'd put on about 5 stone.

He emigrated to australia before christmas, he was joining the oz police force, took him six months of training everyday and eating salds to get himself into near decent shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

They do have a minimum fitness requirement; they must be able to walk if their car gets stolen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some of the lads in the force take some pride in their jobs and take care of them selfs. Some of them are just in it for the pension and dont give a flying fuuck.

My two uncles are gardai.

One does triathlons.

The other does bike races.

Both are in their 40's.

Any one who has the potential to arrest some one should be doing fitness tests. So thats every one

kearnsr wrote:
    Some of the lads in the force take some pride in their jobs and take care of them selfs. Some of them are just in it for the pension and dont give a flying fuuck.

My two uncles are gardai.

One does triathlons.

The other does bike races.

Both are in their 40's.

Any one who has the potential to arrest some one should be doing fitness tests. So thats every one

I bet you anything they do not work the regular shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh,, I was tempted to call out "Here piggy, piggy" to a food-carrying garda last night ........... as I passed the garda station, with my Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I bet you anything they do not work the regular shift

Neither works 9 to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

I am the (neglected) girlfriend of a garda! The hours are so horrible that he barely has time to sleep some nights. Although he still finds time to go to the gym every day :rolleyes: I think fitness levels do depend on the area they work in, and some of the regular unit guys understandably have very little time to train.

The whole court thing on days off winds me up no end! Also impossible to ever go on holiday as if a court case came up, he would have to fly home.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I think that we (in general) are very bad at keeping up constant levels of training altogether.

Guards should be fitness checked every year (regardless of position) as they should always be physically able to chase a crim down.

I also reckon that Joe Public should be driver tested every 5 years, but that is an aside, and it probably never will happen :(

kearnsr wrote:
    Neither works 9 to 5

yeah but I bet neither do the regular shift, the regular unit are the units that man the stations and patrol cars 24hrs. Units such as the community police and detectives who do not cover 24 hrs
    Traffic Units are the same - very rare for a traffic unit to call to an accident its always left to the regular unit plus the traffic are mainly concerned with speeding, tax , insurance etc - they rarely work past 2am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can't find a link for it, but there was a story on sky news earlier about a muslim woman who has just qualified as a police officer in england. at the graduation ceremony she would not shake the hand of the police commissioner because he was not a member of her family (religious ground. some muslim women will not lay their hands on a man who is not a relative). what the **** is she going to do if she has to arrest a man?
    Police woman: 'just wait there until i call for back up. i can't actually touch you because my religion forbids it.'
    Criminal: see ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

connundrum wrote:
    Guards should be fitness checked every year (regardless of position) as they should always be physically able to chase a crim down.

Indeed

"I know I'm a guard, but i work at the desk, I shouldnt be expected to chase robbers"

julep wrote:
    I can't find a link for it, but there was a story on sky news earlier about a muslim woman who has just qualified as a police officer in england. at the graduation ceremony she would not shake the hand of the police commissioner because he was not a member of her family (religious ground. some muslim women will not lay their hands on a man who is not a relative). what the **** is she going to do if she has to arrest a man?
    Police woman: 'just wait there until i call for back up. i can't actually touch you because my religion forbids it.'
    Criminal: see ya!
    Scotland Yard said they'd fire her if she wouldn't perform her duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The first two years they have to pass regular fitness tests. No more after that.
    Yes, there's the mile run and the push-me/pull-me thingy that requires a lot of upper-body strength.

However, there is no on-going physical testing for serving members both of An Garda Siochàna and the Defense Forces. Why? Because various medical conditions can induce obesity and discriminating someone based on the grounds of disability runs contrary to various National and EU employment laws. In other words, massive unfair dismissal cases costing the state (i.e. us taxpayers) millions.

If memory serves me right, the Army tried to bring in such in-service physical testing in 2003 and came under tremendous legal pressure from PDFORRA (the Permenant Defence force other Ranks Repersentative Association) to drop it, which they eventually did.

So OP, to answer your question, the guards do have mimimum fitness requirements, but only to initially attest a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

one of our local gurds was over 25 stone... i mean it.... he even broke the seat of the local garda car and had to be taken off the street... i also seen him attend a problum on a bus and well he couldent get down the aisle so couldent get the guy off thebus so the driver had to leave him on....

there was word that they were to get a spical door fit and a seat belt so he could drive around again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

So OP, to answer your question, the guards do have mimimum fitness requirements, but only to initially attest a member.
    I already said that

Its not discrimination. Im not sayin they shouldnt be guards cos they're fat, I'm sayin they should be able to do all the duties they're supposed to, no matter how often they actually do them

How would you feel if a criminal killed someone you know just because the guard chasin him last week wasnt fit enough to catch him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

However, there is no on-going physical testing for serving members both of An Garda Siochàna and the Defense Forces.

First off its "Defence"........."Defense" is American, and the DF do have annual PTA's and have physical training at least once or twice a week, i see them alot when im on RDF duty, one minute they are in Combats then later on you see the same Soldiers runnin around the outside of the Barracks for a long time and they also carry out regular Orienteering in Mounatineous Areas with full CEFO* gear.

CEFO= Weapon,Ammunition,Survival gear, basically the works.
    CEFO=Combat Equipment Fighting Order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Steyr wrote:
    First off its "Defence"........."Defense" is American, and the DF do have annual PTA's and have physical training at least once or twice a week, i see them alot when im on RDF duty, one minute they are in Combats then later on you see the same Soldiers runnin around the outside of the Barracks for a long time and they also carry out regular Orienteering in Mounatineous Areas with full CEFO* gear.

CEFO= Weapon,Ammunition,Survival gear, basically the works.
    CEFO=Combat Equipment Fighting Order
    With the standard of spelling and grammar you've demonstrated above, I don't think you're in any position to criticise the spelling of "defence" as "defense". Not big, not clever, move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Sangre wrote:

ha the way you say that you are implying that they actually go out and look for criminals to apprehend.
    no no the level of fitness is for the fast food and the lunch run back to the station,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Yes, there's the mile run and the push-me/pull-me thingy that requires a lot of upper-body strength.

However, there is no on-going physical testing for serving members both of An Garda Siochàna and the Defense Forces. Why? Because various medical conditions can induce obesity and discriminating someone based on the grounds of disability runs contrary to various National and EU employment laws. In other words, massive unfair dismissal cases costing the state (i.e. us taxpayers) millions.

If memory serves me right, the Army tried to bring in such in-service physical testing in 2003 and came under tremendous legal pressure from PDFORRA (the Permenant Defence force other Ranks Repersentative Association) to drop it, which they eventually did.

Your memory does not serve you right. You are in fact extremely misinformed about the fitness requirements of the D.F. Every member of the Defence Forces (unless medically excused) must complete an annual fitness test each year. Certain grades must be achieved for courses and as a knock on effect promotion. Repeat failures of fitness test can be used to build up a case for dismissal.

Do some research in future before just writing any old tripe that comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

sceptre wrote:
    With the standard of spelling and grammar you've demonstrated above, I don't think you're in any position to criticise the spelling of "defence" as "defense". Not big, not clever, move on.

Yes because thats what the main discussion is here......Not tryin to be "big" or "clever".......whatever.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Why? Because various medical conditions can induce obesity and discriminating someone based on the grounds of disability runs contrary to various National and EU employment laws. In other words, massive unfair dismissal cases costing the state (i.e. us taxpayers) millions.

That would never happen. Not here, not in any legal system. It would like me suing because the acting part required a black actor, or a skinny woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I was just going to say something similar, a guy I play with on a 5 a side team is a guard. What is this thing about not having enough time?
    I think there should be regular fitness requirements. But above this, shouldn't it be the case that a guard actually wants this himself? I mean it's got to be embarrassing if you can't fulfill all of the various demands of your job because of your weight... surely the prospect of this should be incentive to regain fitness.

It ought to be an honour to be looked upon as a guardian of society, maintaining the peace and securing public order. What I imagine would be expected in return is that you can physically do your job.

Because various medical conditions can induce obesity

Name one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There are various endocrenic-related obesity disorders, albeit rare, InFront.

Yes, I think the police should have a minimum fitness requirement. In some cases while enforciing the law, one needs to have a reasonable degree of fitness.

• Advertisement

There are various endocrenic-related obesity disorders, albeit rare, InFront.

There most certainly are not. There are no known disorders that will make you obese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

InFront wrote:
    There most certainly are not. There are no known disorders that will make you obese.

I have phrased that wrong. There are certain disorders where a hormonal imbalance may cause weight gain, which in some circumstances can lead to obesity.

That seems a far more accurate:)

There is no scape goat for obesity. Exercise and dieting will always decrease obesity. Severe acquired endocrine and genetic disorders may sometimes mean your weight will never be as you would like it to be, but nothing but bad lifestyle choices cause obesity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, they should have fitness requirements. Their ability to protect us during a violent assault by another may be related to their fitness?

Personally, I would like to see all gardai enrolled in martial arts/self-defense training over their careers (as a part of their continuous improvement training), which would keep them healthy and better prepared to intervene without the need of guns (I'm not for arming the gardai, except in extraordinary cases).

Advertisement