Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile trouble

Options
  • 22-01-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

can anyone help. My daughter got a new mobile from de b/friend for x-mas.When she turned it on it was faulty (didn't work).she brought it back to shop and they sent it off to be fixed. 15 days later she got de thing back it was still broken. She asked for it to be replaced with a new phone or a refund,they refused either and told her it was not company policy.it was only when I went in to the shop that they agreed to a new phone,but it had to come from Dublin.It did 5 days later. Guess what,it wasn't a new phone .we rang their cus.care no. and they told me that the phone had been used by nearly 300 other people.i'm going in tomorrow what can Ido if they refuse me a refund apart from strangling them,which is what i feel like doing::mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from After Hours.
    Afaik, a replacement or refund will only be given if the phone is returned within 28 days of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 calmur

not according to consumer affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Your statuatory right are not effected by this. Go look them up and you will know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ruu wrote:
    Moved from After Hours.
    Afaik, a replacement or refund will only be given if the phone is returned within 28 days of purchase.

Depends on the company, some are only 14, it's worth asking when you buy a phone (or anything) what the policy is.

How do you know it's been used by nearly 300 people??
    If it has then I am guessing that it's a courtseesy phone ie. a phone you are given a loan of to use while your's is been repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I take it you're not with o2 then? Their swapout service is pretty good but I don't know if the other operators have it as well. You go in and they replace your handset with a new one, no questions asked.

With regard to your situation, you are entitled to a new phone yes, due to the state you got it back in. Go in and demand a new one and not one that has been handed around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

300 people sounds like a bit of an exageration. A customer care dept generally wouldn't give out that sort of information either, and it does sorta shoot themselves in the foot.

Was it Vodafone/O2/Meteor or was it a reseller 3G/Carphone or was it someone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

phone was faulty , they attemped to repair it and failed so under sale of goods act 1980 the product bought should be fit for use (which it wasn't) and repairs if any should be permanent (which it wasn't)

your fully entitled to a refund , replacement though it will be easier to get a replacement out of the shop , if not threaten small claims court and quote the above they should buckle hopefully

one thing though when you say it wasn't working what exactly was the nature of the fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like Vodafone to me. I had the same issue with them over a year ago. After sending off the phone three times and getting it back still not fixed and getting nowhere with their customer non-service I told them to f*ck off and moved to O2.

I should have taken them to the small claims court but at this stage the phone was nearly a year old. I really should have insisted on a refund/replacement at the start when it wasn't working. They fobbed me off with all sorts of explanations like wrong phone settings, SIM problem, 3G this and that for ages before I insisted on them taking it back. They only sent it off for repair under protest, a lot of good that did too.

They sold you a broken phone, legally you're entitled to a replacement or refund. If they refuse then the Small Claims court may be the only course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

no point saying it to someone in the shop cos they cant do anything, only cust care or higher can in most cases, occasionally the branch manager, if its a nokia you can bring it to the telephone centre on dawson st and ghave it fixed free under the warranty, if not try mprc in sandyford or fonefix in finglas

Advertisement