Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi Speech

• 22-01-2007 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭

Was having a discussion about Muslims leaders and how Muslims countries are being run and another poster (on a different forum) posted a speech by the Malaysian Prime minister. I have to say it was an inspiring speech and I think it is something poster here might like to see. So, here is an excerpt followed by a link to the full article:
    Appendix IV: Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s Keynote Address

Excellencies, Distinguished Guests,
    Ladies and Gentlemen:

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi
    waberakatuh and good morning.

It is a real delight for me to see so many renowned scholars and thinkers assembled in Kuala Lumpur to discuss such a pertinent issue as who speaks for Islam and who speaks for the West. It is auspicious that this dialogue begins on a Friday, which is observed by Muslims everywhere, every week, as a special day. To those of you who have come from afar, I bid you a very warm welcome. I do hope that your stay in Malaysia will be both pleasant and rewarding.

The two questions, Who speaks for Islam? Who speaks for the West? are among the most fundamental issues in the interface between two great civilizations—the Islamic world and the Christian West. Their answers are not only important in determining the relationship between Islam and the West but are also vital in shaping the future of humankind because Christians and Muslims make up at least half of the world’s people. There are 2,039 million Christians accounting for 32 percent of the world’s population, and there are 1,226 million Muslims making up 19 percent of the total. When we ask you to search for the answers to the two questions, it is our intention neither to point fingers at any religion nor to apportion blame on anyone regarding the state of affairs that now exists between the Islamic world and the West. What we seek is the truth, which can serve the best interests of all humankind, and help bring peace to this troubled world of ours. Let us pray to God the Almighty, so that He gives us wisdom, courage, and determination to discover the answers.

Click here for the rest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Reciprocity should become the ethical principle that conditions relations between the West and Islam. The West should treat Islam the way it wants Islam to treat the West and vice versa.

I think he made a lot of very valid points, especially the above which I feel is the whole thrust of his argument.
    However (and I am open to correction obviously) I thought he was pushing the 'equality' argument a bit far, and was confused by his suggestion that we should see Islam and "the west" as equal. While mutual respect is clearly absolutely essential for peace between two such proud civilsations, I hardly think that the suggestion that Islam is no better than the west, but equal, is accurate (to a Muslim). I'm not sure if that's a good message to be giving his listenership.
    However, I may be reading too much into it, because certainly this PM seems to know what he is talking about.

I wish there were more politicians with this attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I already had a lot of respect for PM Abdullah and his respect level on my respect meter has just shot up a few notches.

Saw an interview with Amr Mousa on Al-Jazeera there a few weeks ago. When asked who it was that he respected most in the political world, he replied PM Abdullah as he'd never witnessed anyone so intent on pulling a 3rd world country onto its feet and making a 1st world country. And he did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

the_new_mr wrote:
    I already had a lot of respect for PM Abdullah and his respect level on my respect meter has just shot up a few notches.

Saw an interview with Amr Mousa on Al-Jazeera there a few weeks ago. When asked who it was that he respected most in the political world, he replied PM Abdullah as he'd never witnessed anyone so intent on pulling a 3rd world country onto its feet and making a 1st world country. And he did it.

This is the attitude all leaders of poor countries need.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

If I recall this is the country where they keep arresting the main opposition politician on charges of sodomy. I'm sceptical as to whether this country is a model for anything.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

In my defense, I was unaware of that, when I originally posted that.

Should have known better, Politicians = Scum, more often than not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement