Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a Chain Link

Options
  • 22-01-2007 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Can anyone tell me how to remove a link from a chain? What type of tool do I need, would you know a rough cost and where would be best to buy one? I own a sirrus.

The problem is my chain keeps slipping when I put pressure on the pedals. The chain does no sit well on the cogs. By removing a link i hope to fix the problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Bettyboo2u wrote:
    Can anyone tell me how to remove a link from a chain? What type of tool do I need, would you know a rough cost and where would be best to buy one? I own a sirrus.

The problem is my chain keeps slipping when I put pressure on the pedals. The chain does no sit well on the cogs. By removing a link i hope to fix the problem.

Thanks

Your chain has probably become stretched over time through frequent heavy use.

You'll need a chain tool like this one which you should be able to buy in any decent bike shop. You should be able to pick one up for about a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bettyboo2u

Rebeller wrote:
    Your chain has probably become stretched over time through frequent heavy use.

You'll need a chain tool like this one which you should be able to buy in any decent bike shop. You should be able to pick one up for about a tenner.

Thanks Rebeller, i will buy one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Here's another useful link:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=5&imageField2.x=24&imageField2.y=5

However, based on your description of the problem, removing a link from the chain will have no effect.

Morgan wrote:
    Here's another useful link:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=5&imageField2.x=24&imageField2.y=5

However, based on your description of the problem, removing a link from the chain will have no effect.

Thanks for the links Morgan. I will try removing the link first and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

you have excessive chain wear.

Other gears may also be worn.

You may be lucky and only need to replace a whole chain. Otherwise it is also front and back sets.

• Advertisement

roadmanmad wrote:
    you have excessive chain wear.

Other gears may also be worn.

You may be lucky and only need to replace a whole chain. Otherwise it is also front and back sets.

You could be right roadmanmad. Removing the link did not help. I might try a new chain and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

tbh it sounds like you need a cassette or a new freewheell, bring it to a bike shop and get a diagnosis,its hard to say when you havnt seen the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

kona wrote:
    tbh it sounds like you need a cassette or a new freewheell, bring it to a bike shop and get a diagnosis,its hard to say when you havnt seen the bike

I would agree. I raced for years and every year I'd start the racing season with a new block(sprockets) and a new chain. You'd never have to worry about the chain slipping then..:)

Advertisement