Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help in connecting to the Internet

• 22-01-2007 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello all
    My friend recently got a secondhand pc and he can't connect to the internet as a window keeps popping up telling him he can't connect to the net, something to do with admin rights..
    Can anybody shed some light on this? Thank's. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

need more info as to what msg says etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Pinarello wrote:
    Hello all
    My friend recently got a secondhand pc and he can't connect to the internet as a window keeps popping up telling him he can't connect to the net, something to do with admin rights..
    Can anybody shed some light on this? Thank's. :)

I asked my friend today exactly what was happening when he tried to connect to the internet and he said that a message appears telling that there is a problem with the modem, that it can't be detected.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What version of Windows is he using? What computer does he have? I presume he is trying to connect via dial up?

If he opens the device manager (right click on My Computer, Properties, Device Manager tab (Windows 95-ME) \ Hardware tab, Device Manager button (Windows 2000-XP)), does he see the modem as an installed device, or is there a yellow exclamation beside its description? If there is, the modem has not been properly installed, and he will need to find drivers for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

What version of Windows is he using? What computer does he have? I presume he is trying to connect via dial up?

If he opens the device manager (right click on My Computer, Properties, Device Manager tab (Windows 95-ME) \ Hardware tab, Device Manager button (Windows 2000-XP)), does he see the modem as an installed device, or is there a yellow exclamation beside its description? If there is, the modem has not been properly installed, and he will need to find drivers for it.

He is trying to connect to the net using dial up. I think he is running Windows 2000 pro. If he needs to find drivers for the modem how will he go about doing this? Thank's for all the help..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The device manager may be able to tell you the make and model of the modem.

If he has the make and model of the computer, someone should be able to find the drivers for the modem if it came with it. The manufacturer should supply these, or if not a third party site is bound to have them.

Then he just needs someone to download the drivers and bring them around to his computer to install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

or the manufacturer of the modem's website u might be able to download the drivers from that either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Download Belarc Advisor and it will tell you the make and model on the modem plus loads of other stuff.

I had this problem with my Dell PC and it's Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem and i re-installed the drivers etc to no avail. I took out the modem from the PCI card and re-inserted it in another free slot and it worked, just simply removing the modem from the slot and putting it back in fixed the problem.

I also had a "this device is not working properly" problem with a PCI Satellite Receiver for my Satellite Broadband and simply removing it from the PCI slot and putting back in again solved them problem. Must be static or else meteorites hitting the fec*ing phoneline.

Advertisement