Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson: "Rest assured, we won't lose like that again."

• 22-01-2007 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Also, some interesting comments made by Wenger. Article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6279379.stm

For those who can't access it..
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has warned Manchester United's title rivals that the Premiership leaders will not crumble, despite Sunday's defeat.
    Thierry Henry's injury-time winner gave the Gunners a 2-1 win over United but Wenger said: "They will still be strong challengers for the title.

"This will be a big disappointment for Manchester United - but do not expect them to crumble because of it.

"But it is good for the Premiership because everybody still has a chance."

Wenger paid tribute to his "lions" for fighting back from a goal down to beat United.

"We won by never giving up," he said.

"We began nervously and United started with maturity but I knew after the break we would have a go.

"They got their goal with their only chance of the half but we fought back because we have lions in our team."

The Frenchman added: "We needed to be direct with our play, although I think we were direct a little too often.

"But I think we mixed our play well and there was so much spirit in the squad."

The only thing to mar Arsenal's victory was the news that striker Robin van Persie had broken a bone in his right foot while celebrating his equaliser - and he is set to be ruled out for six weeks.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson expects his side to bounce back from their third loss of the Premiership campaign.

"Teams at the top always drop points on the run-in. It happens - but how you cope is important," he said.

"Only true champions come out and show their worth - and I expect us to do that."

Ferguson said he was disappointed with the manner in which his side lost the game.

"We defended well - they resorted to long balls and we were coping great," he stated.

"Then we lost two goals from positions we didn't think we would lose goals.

"We have some important away games and the team will be back to winning ways very soon. Rest assured, we won't lose like that again."

United are six points clear of nearest rivals Chelsea in the Premiership table.

Ferguson added: "We have a game less to play and are a goal better off than Chelsea following their 2-0 defeat at Liverpool yesterday. So it's not all doom and gloom."

As a United supporter I have to say that Arsenal deserved the victory. They coped brilliantly with Larsson, and United just didn't have enough chances and never really looked like closing the game off from them. The stats from the match tell the story, which to me is a bit worrying.
    True, Arsenal at home is a very tough tie but this was a chance to go nine points clear but Arsenal played very well and deserved their victory. The title race is still open but I can't see Arsenal doing anything from their current position in the league. Liverpool are 11 points off United, which is quite alot as well, and Chelsea trailing by 6. Are Arsenal and Liverpool really in with a chance? Bold words from Ferguson, I really hope he holds true to it. Cracking end to the season ahead - I hope!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think its too little too late for Arsenal and Liverpool, which is a pity.
    Its those 1-1 draws earlier in the season that has cost arsenal the chance.
    Thats 8 points droped from very very winable games. Just do the math!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'm a Utd. fan and I'm not too disappointed with the result yesterday. What hurt more was that Lehman muppet slagging us at the end and constantly in the ref's ear trying to get players booked. Whenever there was a foul Lehman would run 50 yards to moan at the ref. Gotta hand it to him though. he made some great saves to keep Arsenal in it. Great game of football even for neutrals.
    4-5-1 does NOT work
    tactical changes United made in the end worked in Arsenal's favour.
    Giggs up front and Rooney out wide? What was that all about?
    As fergie says we've still got the 6 point lead and we've gained a goal on Chelski so it wasn't too bad a weekend.
    Still, I hope we get the gooners in one of the Cup comp's so we can wipe the grin off Lehman's smug face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Couple of things fergie needs to 'learn'

433 DOES NOT WORK.

Rooney is a striker, not a left/right sided midfielder.

If Giggs is playing crap TAKE HIM OFF.

United can only play 442. SO PLAY IT.

To beat Arsenal, you need to press them, and hussle them. Standing off, dropping back, soaking up the pressure, and simply giving them all the room in midfield to play WILL NOT WORK. It didn't work at OT, and it wasn't going to work yesterday. It will also not work away to liverpool or chelsea SO COP ON TO YOURSELF.

god damn it ferguson - yesterday was a great chance to push on for the league and YOU BLEW IT!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Giggsy had a good game yesterday. He was continually switching wings with Ronaldo to confuse Arsenal, and he read the game really well. Bringing him off for the likes of Park would have been madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They lost two goals from positions they didn't expect to lose goals from? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

They lost two goals from positions they didn't expect to lose goals from? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
    Translation: Ferdinand fcuked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It wasn't ferdinand. The goals were coming all day, time and again evra, scholes and carrick (main culprits) lost possession and ran into trouble 20-30 yards from our own net time and again.

they tried to turn back from challenges and play the ball out when sometimes what was required was a smack up field or off the park and regroup. For the first goal both Evra and Scholes could have put their foot through the ball and conceded a throw-in but instead delayed and lost possession, and that was going on all game.

As for the tactics, I'll never understand playing Giggs through the centre and Rooney on the left. Giggs still terrifies defenders when he runs at them out wide and Rooney has a fantastic shot from the edge of the area, as well as the vision to play in people around him from the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

^^
    I was giving an interpretation for RoyalwithCheese of what SAF was on about.
    If Ferdinand had attacked the ball we probably would have gotten a 1-1 draw, albeit not fully deserved.

I agree that the goals were coming. But it wasn't the fault of scholes, evra and carrick it was the general team performance. not holding on to possession enough and letting arsenal play. It wasn't because some attacking players made mistakes when under pressure with the ball it was because we kept giving the ball away and inviting more pressure. Instead of being patient with possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I thought Ferguson's best quote from that interview was 'Carrick was MOM, he was absolutely magnificent today'??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Do people take Fergusonl's interviews seriously? I wouldn't have thought so, after the way he sticks up for Carrick for no reason after every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I thought Evra played good, apart from giving the ball away which cost us one of the goals. Ferdinand, they should cut his wages. Maybe he might actually play soccer then. I never liked him, he's rubbish.

Advertisement