Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting video to watch on mobile phone

• 22-01-2007 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Anyone know of a good piece of software for converting video files (all kinds) on a pc into the mobile phone format?
    Not that I'd plan on watching a movie on a screen that small but be nice to personalise my phone - a Sony Ericsson V630i.

I tried using IMTOO's 3gp converter but the picture always comes out really bad. Sky's tv streams seem to look pretty good so the phone would seem capable of decent playback?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I'd be interested in this too. I've used IMToo as well and the picture appears very pixelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Total Movie Converter (nice app)
    SUPER (free - though a bit of a learning curve)
    Xilsoft do some good apps also. Google them..

or give this a whirl..

http://www.zamzar.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

3gp is a pretty poor format anyway, regardless of what converter you use....what else does the phone support? Just use a different format.

3gp is indeed very poor.
    If you have an S60 symbian device, get Smartmovie (or alternatively the free divx player) and reconvert avi's to a lower screen res and bitrate for your phone. Smartmovie also has audio pre/post adjustment so your vids can stay in sync (you adjust this manually) even if a/v sync is lost thru conversation process.

A very handy feature I think should be a prerequisite on all PVP's even ipods but sadly is not, meaning most people give up on transcoding videos as the sync gets screwed up and they have to start again, or mess with v dub for a week just to get a/v to sync...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Can you give some details as to what rates you've been encoding at so far?

The 3g video stuff from vfe is prob @ 80kb/sec for video and 20kb for audio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

The phone accepts mp4 format and I had a go encoding to that and the picture came out very well. I tried encoding it at 176 x 220 which is supposed to be the size of my screen res (Sony Ericcson v630i) but when watching it on the phone it only takes up half the size barley so I tried making it a good bit bigger and it still did not fill the screen and then the audio became out of sync.

I might try again but it takes so long to do the whole thing via usb maybe I should just forget about it:)

bindybandy wrote:
    I might try again but it takes so long to do the whole thing via usb maybe I should just forget about it:)

What do you mean "via usb"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,317 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

M3 is the best converter i've found for phones (mainly aimed at sony phones so has presets which will work), converts from dvds too, although havnt tried this

link to latest version here
    http://www.vapulus.com/w900i/m3-version.txt

edit doesnt do 3gp, just mpeg4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Quicktime does a pretty decent job of exporting to 3GP and other formats. That's the $40ish version, not the free player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cyberbear

is there any free ones that wil do a good job of converting it?....the ones ive downloaded all dont work very well
    ie. the video is quicke than the audio or the other way around!..
    ...any sugestions?...thanks
    btw my phone doesnt support mp4 as far as i know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cyberbear

bindybandy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I tried using IMTOO's 3gp converter but the picture always comes out really bad. Sky's tv streams seem to look pretty good so the phone would seem capable of decent playback?

Thanks

have you got the link to the sky's tv stream?......would you be able to find it?...thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I find "IVC" (internet video converter) by far the best no-fuss converter. It gets the work done, and I have yet to throw a clip at it that it doesn't do (stuff even that other converters called corrupted)!
    It does just about every format, downloads and converts embedded webclips etc etc... And it's free! It also has a very basic media player, that, though not feature rich, also plays every clip I've evr tried.
    IVC is also freeware!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Try jetAudio - I am a total twit, and I can get the job done! Perfect results every time

Advertisement