Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Laser Surgery

Options
  • 22-01-2007 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anyone has eye laser surgery done in Cork. What clinic, how much and would you recommend them?
    Thinking of surgery for a year and decided to finally take the jump. There are two clinics in Cork where you can get discount with VHI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I know you asked about clinics in Cork, but if you don't get any other reply........

I got the surgery in the Wellington Eye Clinic in Dublin. They've been at it for donkey's and have never had a case of infection. It doesn't happen to everybody but I was lucky enough not to have any side effects like swelling or a dry, gritty feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i too am interested in laser surgery
    i went to shandon clinic to get info.i found them unhelpful,and no information on there website,nor any feedback about them or from them from patients.
    they charge €80 for a consultation

i went to optical express in london for a Free consultation took 90mins and they did about 15 tests ery professional and theyre opening a clinic in cork in the next month or so.so i will go there when they arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

they do it in shanakiel hospital as well..... also waterford

also if your insured with vhi, vivas hey have offers/discounts

http://www.vhi.ie/offers/laserclinic_waterford.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

my brother got it done in shanakiel, delighted with it, had no problems, and said the surgeon was friendly.

has perfect vision in both eyes now, no complaints from him. cost €3000 for both eyes i think. dunno bout vhi though, he's with vivas and i don't think they covered this clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eirebabe76

Thanks for all the replies. Will do some further research

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

i have a consultation booked in the shandon clinic for late feb, ill see how that goes but they were pretty helpful when i went in

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Wife had it done in the Shanakiel about 3 months ago. Hazy for wa few weeks but now delighted with it. Went with Conal Hurley (I think) next to the briar rose in douglas.

Got a few hundred off with VHI and with the tax i think it came came to about 2K nett overall. Think you only pay for initial consultations if you go ahead with the surgery.

i went to optical express in london for a Free consultation took 90mins and they did about 15 tests ery professional and theyre opening a clinic in cork in the next month or so.so i will go there when they arrive!

any idea of where theyre locating in cork? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

so that is the road by pennys hmmm...thats cool

• Advertisement

it's mahon point, no? gives the address below the map

so that is the road by pennys hmmm...thats cool

Hardly. Given that I had to search within 'United Kingdom' (sometimes referred to as Southern Ireland by the British retailers, ala Boots, Vison Express, Specsavers etc) to find Cork city on their website, I think we can safely say that the map is flawed. Unit 20 Mahon Point sounds a lot more realistic than a side street off Penneys, don't you think?!

i was thinking that,as where possibly shop wise could they put it lol
    mahon point ugh,ah well pain of a place to get to,glasses free vision i cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 battman

had it done myself in the shandon street clinic and delighted with it!cost €3000 and had to go back for a "top up" laser surgery (commen i think wen your very short sighted i was -5.75) but all done now and i wud def recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

battman, did you have an additional charge for the top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 battman

battman, did you have an additional charge for the top up?

No.any aftercare and enhancement surgery is included in the €3000.Most ppl are fine with the initial surgery but it wasnt a big put out!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

I called into Vision Express in Mahon Point over the weekend to get some info. They are advertising the procedure from approx €600 per eye. While they do the free consultation and after care here in Cork, the procedure itself tales place in Newbridege or Dublin.

It turns out that Shandon do two types of procedure, €700ish per eye or €1500ish per eye, depending on the €70 consultation (apparently you're refunded for that if you're not deemed suitable for surgery)

Shanakiel seem to do just the one type at €120 consultation + €2000ish per eye.

Eyelaserireland is more expensive again (I interest waned when I heard the prices quoted).

Take your pick... or travel abroad (that'll be to Dublin :D )

the ones youve listed are the cheapest ones,run of the mill.yeah i think i will take a trip to dublin.

Advertisement