Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reptiles in Ireland

Options
  • 22-01-2007 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm going to be relocating from the states to Ireland in the near future, and I currently raise a few varities of reptiles (chameleons, bearded dragons, Boas). What is the market for animals like those in Ireland? I'm wondering if I should even subject my animals to the stress of relocation or if I should just leave them with new owners here in the states.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

reptiles are getting very common over here - I would say yes there would be a market but will you cover your costs???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

i hope ur in for a shock cos reptiles are far more expensive than they are in the states when i was in the states i went looking at reptiles and they where half the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beardie

reptiles are becoming very common all over ireland.where are you planning on moving to over here because you'd want to be close to a major city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Hi if you wanna take them with you it shouldnt be a problem but for a few things to consider:

will you have a permanent home here or will you be renting a place?
    you dont want to have to set up your vivariums etc only to have to move on a few months or a year later. Not only that but if you plan on renting I'm not sure the other tenants in the house will respect your animals and you might have trouble if the landlord has a fear of snakes.

Heat requirements:
    As you know Ireland is generally colder and wetter then the States im not sure which part your from but You will have to consider the extra heating requirements and costs involved.

If you want to leave them with new owners you can be sure you will find most reptile pets in our pet stores. Might be a lot more expensive tough. A Junior Bearded dragon goes for between 80 - 140 euro for example. with a 4 foot by 2 foot snake enclosure with heat lamp costing around 240 euro, And the price of decor is ridiculous, you could find yourself payting 10 - 50 euro for a single rock or piece of wood!!! (Or like me go to the beach and get them for free!:D )

If your moving to Dublin there a few stores to go to for all your reptile and Arachnid needs,

Reptil Havan (Recommended)
    27 Fishamble Street
    Temple bar west
    Dublin 8
    Tel: (01) 6704001

Wackers Pet Shop Ltd
    177 Parnell st
    Dublin 1
    Tel: (01)8726993

Kinsealy Pet Store
    Posey Row, Malahide Road Kinsealy
    Tel: (01) 8169900

Hope this helped good luck with your move!;)

Advertisement