Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship: Could be a great one

• 22-01-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

I'm really looking forward to the biggie in three months time (seems so far away!). So many player playing really well: Ronnie on top form, Ken close to his best, Ding with new motivation, a determined Hendry, Ebdon after winning the U.K., Dott defending his crown. Then new guys like Robertson and a resurgent Maguire will make their mark. Guys you can never count out like Stevens and Williams, and even Davis. Hopefully Jimmy will get in too for a swansong. Could be a classic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

zuutroy wrote:
    Ding with new motivation

Ding still has one more match in qualifying, so although hes as good as qualified hes not there yet, hopefully, he wont act like a spoilt child in the world championship if the crowd go against him again.
    Rediculous scenes last nite, not even cueing properly to get out of a snooker before he walked out, if hed been ronnie though that would have been different.
    Hopefully, Ken can do a little better in th world championship, maybe even celebrate the 10th anniversary of his World win with another:D

if ronnie keeps the form from last nite with him, he'll take serious beating though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

hopefully, he wont act like a spoilt child in the world championship if the crowd go against him again.
    Rediculous scenes last nite, not even cueing properly to get out of a snooker before he walked out,

Thats a bit harsh! How would you fancy going to China playing in front of 4,000 rampant looneys that only want to see you screw up and rejoice when you do? And I'm pretty sure some of the comments were far from politically correct. Aswell as that he is as you said little more than a child.
    In 20+ years of watching snooker I've never seen the likes of that. I've actually warmed to him slightly after him showing some emotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

hopefully, he wont act like a spoilt child in the world championship if the crowd go against him again.
    Rediculous scenes last nite, not even cueing properly to get out of a snooker before he walked out, if hed been ronnie though that would have been different.

Very harsh that. Felt sorry for the lad last night. When your are that young, and people are shouting rubbish at you it would be hard to cope. He lad had tears in his eyes, how could he even try and play. Fair play to Ronnie though, showed great maturity and friendship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Armchairninja you're totally off the mark here! Spoilt child? There was somethign racist and discriminatory said to him that's why he was so pissed off and started crying and wanted to walk out! Just like black footballers like Etoo and Ronaldinho threatening to walk out during a match when they heard monkey taunts.

Get your fcuking facts right you fcuking MORON!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I dont think im totally off the mark at all, fair enough, what was said by the crowd was uncalled for, but snooker is a mental game and all during the week he showed class, and talent, he obviously has the mental strength for the game, o he should have been able to shut it all out, but thats not what im refering to when i say spoilt child, what im referring to is the fact that he gave up!, he's used to crushing his opponents and used to doing so in an exhibtion style, but what happened then was that ronnie read all the hype in the papers saying that it would be a though game for ronnie and that he probably might not win, and ronnie decided to sit Ding in the corner and give him a class on how snooker is meant to be played, he was unstoppable.
    And basically ding was shell shocked!
    and had there been that much racism in the crowd, Jan Verhaas would have put a stop to it, hes a top class referee wouldnt stand for it

and in relation to going to china, id love to, and it wouldnt bother me about the 4000 rampant lunatics because i wouldnt be able to understand them

and dont get me wrong i did feel sorry for the lad, but its only going to make him stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

^^^

Points well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

I dont think im totally off the mark at all, fair enough, what was said by the crowd was uncalled for, but snooker is a mental game and all during the week he showed class, and talent, he obviously has the mental strength for the game, o he should have been able to shut it all out, but thats not what im refering to when i say spoilt child, what im referring to is the fact that he gave up!, he's used to crushing his opponents and used to doing so in an exhibtion style, but what happened then was that ronnie read all the hype in the papers saying that it would be a though game for ronnie and that he probably might not win, and ronnie decided to sit Ding in the corner and give him a class on how snooker is meant to be played, he was unstoppable.
    And basically ding was shell shocked!
    and had there been that much racism in the crowd, Jan Verhaas would have put a stop to it, hes a top class referee wouldnt stand for it

and in relation to going to china, id love to, and it wouldnt bother me about the 4000 rampant lunatics because i wouldnt be able to understand them

and dont get me wrong i did feel sorry for the lad, but its only going to make him stronger

You might not understand Chinese and it might not affect you but Ding understood what was said to him that pissed him off and rightly so! If the westerners or caucasian players were subjected to taunting and name calling such as "crackers, honkey, Paddy" etc,when they are playing in China, I'm sure it would affect them in some sort of way and I'm sure they wouldn't put up with it just like Ding didn't want to put up with it! He gave up because he felt he shouldn't have to sit through or be subjected to racist name calling and rightly so. Just like when black players like Ronaldino and Etoo threathened to walk off the pitch during a match where they were subjected to racist moneky chants! He has the class and probably the mental strength but he has never been subjected to ignorant and racist taunting before, which is why he was so shocked and disturbed.

And as for Jan Verhaas stopping the racist taunts, well he did and that w@nker was immediately ejected from the arena but the damage had already been done. Things were said and it had an immediate impact on Ding which sadly he did not recover from!

Advertisement