Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsidiary Exchange?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else heard of this?

We're in Harcourt Green apartments in D2. Line checkers say we're on the Ship St exchange which is enabled up to 5mb DSL.

Smart just told me that they can't give us BB cos we're too far from the exchange - in fact, we're on a 'subsidiary exchange'.

Now, does that mean we can't get BB full stop? Just called Magnet there and they said they could. But don't they use the same line checking tools as Smart?

I'm sorry, I've just never heard of this one. We couldn't get cable NTL cos the line wouldn't support it and we can't get Smart cos we're too far from the exchange?!?!?! :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you may not get Smart but have you tried the eircom line checker ???

these sub exchanges do not always have dsl equipment installed , being very small street cabinets in some cases.

if the eircom line checker comes up with nothing then you may not get any form of DSL , thats correct.

eircom hq is right on the corner of stephens green and harcourt terrace. I recommend you go in there personally to get an answer as its more efficient than their call centre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sponge Bob wrote:
    if the eircom line checker comes up with nothing then you may not get any form of DSL , thats correct.

They all give a positive (eircom, bt, smart etc.). But they all use the same bloody system according to the Magnet sales line guy! I asked him should I call Eircom and he said they'll give the same answer cos they use the same line check system.

Ship Street is DSL enabled by Smart. Does the fact that they can't provide service through that subsidiary exchange mean that there is no DSL equipment installed in that exchange? :confused:

Look!

just get eircom or a reseller of eircom like BT or Digiweb becuase that all you can get bar the useless Clearwire or Ripwave systems.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Look!

just get eircom or a reseller of eircom like BT or Digiweb becuase that all you can get bar the useless Clearwire or Ripwave systems.

Sigh.

So I've a choice between:
    Eircom: 1mb BB 24.99 (50 incl line rental)
    Digiweb: 1mb Lite 19.00 (45 incl line rental)
    BT: 2mb total (40 incl line rental)

Wireless ain't on (no line of sight). It'll be used for email, skype and a bit of xbox live.

Factoring in speed, service reliability and customer service issues (BT - i'm looking at you) which would you guys go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jdogg187

Just a quick FYI , there is a small Service Relay Point in Adelade Road which you may be connected to , The good news is that this relay point is to be moved to Ballyboden at some point in 2007, the bad news Knowing the sheer evil nature of eircom they may just move you line there so you can kiss BB good bye ....

But if the gods smile on you they might connect you to ship street ... Also eircom are still using the now defunked DSL where as magnet are using the latest equipment ie ADSL2+ And Soon ADSL4+ In some areas

Happy Surfing :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

While a lot of people complain about BT I've been very happy with them now for 4 years - just pray nothing ever goes wrong for you as their phone support appears to be their big let down :)

While a lot of people complain about BT I've been very happy with them now for 4 years - just pray nothing ever goes wrong for you as their phone support appears to be their big let down :)

Well, supposedly the broadband will become active on Thursday.

<crosses fingers & prays to Jebus>

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

quad_red wrote:
    Well, supposedly the broadband will become active on Thursday.

<crosses fingers & prays to Jebus>

Hi Quad_red

If you have issues with your BT BB activation let me know and I will give you a few advices...

Praetor wrote:
    Hi Quad_red

If you have issues with your BT BB activation let me know and I will give you a few advices...

Cheers dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

if the eircom line checker comes up with nothing then you may not get any form of DSL

is that 100% true ? :(

When i use the eircom line checker ( which was fine a few months ago ) and all the other isp (bt,utv) line checkers i got this stupid answer "Sorry bla bla bla " ( i'm close to the DCU ... ) but when i use Smart Telecom line checker i got a positive answer.

Is Smart using a different or an out of date line checker :confused:

• Advertisement

smarts checker will not show a subexchange , especially if the subexchange was installed recently. eircoms would be more accurate so I surmise you are on a subexchange that has no BB.

does the eircom line checker tell you you are on a different exchange to what smart tells you , eg does eircom say you are on Mobhi Rid while Smart says you are on Belcamp...as an example .

Well i just got a letter from UTV this morning saying that my line cannot be provided with bb.

The eircom line checker just states
    Your Results
    01 8****** Unsuitable
    Alternatives to eircom broadband!
    Unfortunately broadband technology is very sensitive and on occasion even lines in enabled exchanges do not pass the initial qualification test.

No indication about the exchange :/

According to the smart telecom one :
    Your phone number 18****** is serviced by the WHITEHALL exchange.
    This exchange is on the Smart Broadband Network.

Your phone line is broadband capable. Would you like to sign up?

Which one should i trust ? :D

its not on the Whitehall exchange I'll wager but some ****bag of a tin box somewhere nearer

1. ring 1800503303 and ask what exchange you are on
    2. find out if the tin box is due to be enabled in its own right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Its very possible that you can get Smart Broadband as with ADSL2+ more lines have been known to be able to get broadband than those with Eircom's ADSL technology.

If you can get Smart go for it as its they are far the best product out there and they have a Support Forum at http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ which you may get an answer from one of the admins on this too.

Well i'll give it a try tomorrow even if i don't like to be on the phone ( since my english is bad )

I hope that it's not a stupid error and that i can go for bb with smart.

By the way i've waited 3 months to get the negative answer from UTV ...

Advertisement