Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Spurs SF

• 22-01-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

A bit early perhaps but I'm really looking forward to this one and it gives us time to reminisce over some of their previous semi finals...

Arsenal 2-1 Spurs 1987 Littlewoods Semi 3rd game
    To decide where the game would take place the ref tossed a coin, the first coin landed on it's edge in the mud, Spurs won the second coin toss.
    lol

The only notable Spurs win over them in anything that I can recall was the 3-1 FA Cup semi in 91

Linekar

Linekar 2nd

Gascoigne

Although Arsenal got their revenge tens years later before Michael Owen stole the cup from them.

Will Spurs ever emerge from Arsenal's shadow? Winning this would be a start but I can't see it happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If they can't beat the youth team, they'll never beat them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It will be interesting to see what the team is.

Id say the beast will definately start with Ali.

Id like a Chelsea/Arsenal final.

Gallas vs Greedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Provisional squad: Almunia, Hoyte, Toure, Djourou, Connolly, Traore, Walcott, Diaby, Denilson, Julio Baptista, Aliadiere, Poom, Merida, Lansbury, Randall, Adebayor, Senderos, Flamini.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=404201&cc=5739

Still good enough to beat Spurs I reckon.

Yea that squad should beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jank wrote:
    Yea that squad should beat them.

as with all things football, i'll tell you after 180 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Interesting, I wonder what the team will be. No Fabregas or Song (international duty) this time, so Diaby and Denilson in the centre unless Flamini plays. Merida to get a start I wonder?

Big test for Diaby.

as with all things football, i'll tell you after 180 minutes

But this is Spurs we are talking about...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Provisional squad: Almunia, Hoyte, Toure, Djourou, Connolly, Traore, Walcott, Diaby, Denilson, Julio Baptista, Aliadiere, Poom, Merida, Lansbury, Randall, Adebayor, Senderos, Flamini.

That's not the squad Wengers named. Official squad:
    2. Abou Diaby, 4. Francesc Fabregas, 5. Kolo Toure, 6. Philippe Senderos, 9. Julio Baptista, 13. Alexander Hleb, 15. Denilson, 16. Mathieu Flamini, 21. Mart Poom, 24. Manuel Almunia, 27. Emmanuel Eboue, 30. Jeremie Aliadiere, 31. Justin Hoyte, 32. Theo Walcott, 43. Mark Randall, 45. Armand Traore

I imagine he'd start with something like this:

....................Almunia.......................

Hoyte......Toure.....Senderos.....Traore

Walcott....Diaby......Fab..............Hleb

...........Baptista.....Aliadiere..............

I'd be expecting an Arsenal win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If Ali plays like he did against the pool, i'd say a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hopefully the Beast bags a few more goals in the Carling Cup. I like the look of that line up Erin, has a nice balance to it.

Eamo its not like you to sit on the fence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I do like the way most people here are writing off Spurs, even over 2 legs in a semi-final of any cup I would give Spurs a chance in this and especially tonight with all the so called big guns not playing.

Mad Dog wrote:
    I do like the way most people here are writing off Spurs, even over 2 legs in a semi-final of any cup I would give Spurs a chance in this and especially tonight with all the so called big guns not playing.
    To me Spurs always seem slightly intimidated by the big sides - Arsenal in particular.

kinaldo wrote:
    To me Spurs always seem slightly intimidated by the big sides - Arsenal in particular.

True ..... But if they can't get up for a cup semi then they shouldn't be playing football at this level, I just think it will be slightly closer than people think and still expect Arsenal to get through over 2 legs but only after playing all the big guys in the second leg.

gandalf wrote:
    Hopefully the Beast bags a few more goals in the Carling Cup. I like the look of that line up Erin, has a nice balance to it.

Eamo its not like you to sit on the fence :D

no, but on the other hand, i know enough about football to know that nothing is certain.

i mean, im sure mst gooners reckoned on getting 3 points at sheffield utd this year. and im sure most gooners also know they got none.

as my comment above says, i'll let you know after 180 minutes of football.
    but of course, im would prefer a spurs victory.

besides, if i came out with arrogant comments like some of those here, id like like a complete pr1ck, wouldnt i :)

Mad Dog wrote:
    I just think it will be slightly closer than people think

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this will be an easy tie by any stretch of the imagination.

It's the little things that are giving my confidence, like Jol's statement today and the fact that Spurs couldn't even sell out there allocation.
    besides, if i came out with arrogant comments like some of those here, id like like a complete pr1ck, wouldnt i

I hope your not tarring me with the arrogance brush too. All I said was I expect Arsenal to win tonight.

the fact that Spurs couldn't even sell out there allocation.
    Is that really true? You mean after all that bickering over the 15% away allocation they couldn't even fill up less than that?

like Jol's statement today

What did he say?

kinaldo wrote:
    Is that really true? You mean after all that bickering over the 15% away allocation they couldn't even fill up less than that?

Straight from the Spurs website:
    "Tickets are no longer on sale. On police advice, the ticket office stopped selling any tickets at noon today"

It's Levy's fault IMO for charge top price for the tickets.

Mad Dog wrote:
    What did he say?

"It is their responsibility, but I feel that their second team, or kids, or reserves, is probably as strong as any other Premiership side outside of the top four," said Jol."

"It is their responsibility, but I feel that their second team, or kids, or reserves, is probably as strong as any other Premiership side outside of the top four," said Jol."

Just read that on skysports.com and to me it's just his way of taking the pressure off his own team and I don't believe for one second that he thinks Spurs can't win this particular game.

• Advertisement

no, but on the other hand, i know enough about football to know that nothing is certain.

Ah sure we all know that, but it would a very boring world if we all waited until the game was over to make some comments or predictions :D
    i mean, im sure mst gooners reckoned on getting 3 points at sheffield utd this year. and im sure most gooners also know they got none.

Yep and all the feckin games we drew at the start of season !!! (especially the Newcastle one as it was my first game in the new stadium!!)
    as my comment above says, i'll let you know after 180 minutes of football.
    but of course, im would prefer a spurs victory.

Yawn !!!
    besides, if i came out with arrogant comments like some of those here, id like like a complete pr1ck, wouldnt i :)

But you are so good at coming out with arrogant statements normally ;)

Personally I expect Spurs to win over the two legs, they'll probably want it more. Mind you, Arsenal have lost two CC semis in the last three seasons so maybe it'll be third time lucky.

I doubt Hleb AND Cesc will play. Denilson will start instead of one of them I'd imagine.

Hleb, Probably, Cesc no way! he is way too valuable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs near full strength, Arse playing kids and bench.

Mike.

jank wrote:
    Hleb, Probably, Cesc no way! he is way too valuable

Too valuable for what?? The Carling cup is it you mean? What arrogance in that statement :eek: :eek:

well, either way, im hoping for some good football.

Anyone got the line-ups confirmed? I'm hearing Almunia, Traore, Senderos, Toure, Hoyte, Denilson, Fabregas, Diaby, Walcott, Baptista, Aliadiere for Arsenal.

// edit - that's the line-up it seems. Exactly the same as the one that faced Liverpool, except Diaby in place of Song. I imagine Fabregas will play a deep midfield role ala Pirlo or Guardiola, with Diaby further forward. Mind you Wenger did say today that since Diaby has come back from injury, he has played much more aggressively and defensively in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

game delayed to 8.15

Arsenal were late getting to White Heart Lane. referee and Spurs agreed to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

1-0 Spurs. Berbatov 12min.

Mistake between Almunia and Toure left him with a simple header.

• Advertisement

Great game so far, if I wasn't getting it for free I'd pay to watch this

:)

what link are you using?
    this one sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

2-0 spurs.

OG from The Beast.

keane on for the injured berbatov.

ffs, i keep freezing when we score!"

what link are you using?
    this one sucks.
    JK Sports on Sopcast

sop://211.152.34.35:3912/14528

It's not great but that might be down to my internet connection since I have people hogging all my bandwidth at the moment.

ah, its what im watching.

good free flowing game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great game so far, Arsenal look dangerous amazing the amount of young talent they have.

Second goal was the result of a very harsh freekick imo.

Good response from Arsenal here

Ht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

some **** up by Baptista at the end of the half. how could you miss that :mad:

Good first half and Baptista should have scored on half time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Very good free flowing game so far indeed.
    I'm watchin it on SuperSport 3 on TvAnts ,[URL="tvants://www.tvants.com/tvants/?k=c72941b6d8f81897d14e6f14b76f7b15"]link[/URL]. nice smooth stream with english commentary too

playa3 wrote:
    Very good free flowing game so far indeed.
    I'm watchin it on SuperSport 3 on TvAnts ,[URL="tvants://www.tvants.com/tvants/?k=c72941b6d8f81897d14e6f14b76f7b15"]link[/URL]. nice smooth stream with english commentary too
    Yeah I avoid TvAnts like the plague as lots of people have found it comes riddled with trojans and the like...

kinaldo wrote:
    Yeah I avoid TvAnts like the plague as lots of people have found it comes riddled with trojans and the like...

Don't think I've ever got a link to open up properly on TvAnts :eek: thank god I'd say ;)

FS can't get any of the streams to work here !!!!!!!!!!

2-1 baptista

2-1 Baptista.....Game on now...

im sure i switched off the option in SOP cast that says 'freeze everytime there is an attack', but i cant seem to find it again...

still, the midfield play is good!

Yay got the stream working for the goal :D

Told ya Baptista would score, lets hope he scores in correct goal for one more LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Arsenal piling on the pressure now, Spurs should have killed them off instead of putting Keane out wide and playing one up front.

im sure i switched off the option in SOP cast that says 'freeze everytime there is an attack', but i cant seem to find it again...
    same here must be all the cappers taking advantage of the minute delay and tuning in for just the goals

• Advertisement
Advertisement