Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bubbling paint

Options
  • 22-01-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi, the paint in my ensuite shower is bubbling and coming off the ceiling in the
    shower area. The ceiling is sloping down to headlevel ( storey and a half house). Is there anything i can put on to seal the area after scraping old paint and applying new?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

AFAIK there's paint you should use specifically for bathrooms that shouldn't bubble, maybe it's oil based??? Call into your local paint store. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What sort of paint is on the ceiling now?

The bubbling would be caused by the damp conditions, and moisture getting underneath the paint.

What preperation would need to be done could depend on the severity of the problem. Scraping off the bubbling paint and repainting with a water resistant acrylic paint may be all you'd need to do. If severe, maybe consider a sealer beforehand.

I think most of the paint manufacturers (Fleetwood and Dulux do anyway) now do a paint specifically for bathrooms and kitchens, that repells water

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

just ceiling emulsion. i'll take a trip to the builders providers and get some nathroom paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bear in mind that bathroom/kitchen specific acyrylic will have a mid-to-high sheen finish to it whcih tends to show up any defects or bad plastering/filling/previous paintwork....a good trick for porous ceilings prone to a lot of condensation is to use exterior masonry which has a flatter finish and has a lot less breathable surface that stops moisture getting behind the paint and blistering it.
    Spot prime the bare areas (after you've scraped them back to a sound state) with the masonry white, then fill the edges of where the paint blistered, sand off, touch up, allow to dry fully then coat the whole celing. Exterior emulsion has a longer drying time when used indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I know this wont apply but some if not all these days exterior masonry paint(Well Dulux) says on tin/bucket not to be applied on interior. Its basically down to the anti-fungicial ingredient in it I suppose,so dont go licking your ceiling..hehe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement