Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone free credit text message hoax doing the rounds

• 22-01-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

I recieved a text message from two people I know which seems to be a hoax doing the rounds:
    Vodafone are now
    keeping vodafone to
    vodafone texts free for
    ever .So tell all of your
    friends. Send this to 10
    of your 087 friends
    and recieve 5euro top
    up for spreading the
    word.This credit will
    be sent to you within 2
    minutes of your last sent
    message.Thanks
    from vodafone.

Looking at the grammatical errors and the way the "v" in Vodafone is never capitalised, I thought this may be a hoax (Also that not many phone companies would be this generous!)
    So I rang Vodafone Customer Services and asked if it was a real offer, the agent told me that it wasn't.

Has anyone else recieved this message? If you do, obviously don't send it on unless you like to waste your credit!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Also, how would vodafone know that you had sent that specific text to 10 people? Has to be a hoax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

It is. theres a thread about it somewhere here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There is a similar O2 text doing the rounds.

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It always amuses me that people fall for this kind of thing, when it's so obviously not real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Since when is this new? Spamming like that has been going on by text for years and by email even longer. I actually think they're good because anyone who is stupid enough to believe a text like that deserves to lose E1.30 worth of credit. (But then again, I am a prick:-))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

:d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Wish a MOD would do a text ... it'll be Meteor next and then someone will suggest 3 are giving out free stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

There is a similar O2 text doing the rounds.

ambrose :cool:

yes my dad ot it and he is a bill pay and it said send x amount of texts and get 5 euro credited to your account.
    How does this scam work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

drdre wrote:
    yes my dad ot it and he is a bill pay and it said send x amount of texts and get 5 euro credited to your account.
    How does this scam work?
    You cannot be serious? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

drdre wrote:
    How does this scam work?

I am guessing it was just started by someone who thought it would be funny if people actually believed it and wasted their credit.

I don't think anyone profits out of it (apart from vodafone of course).

Advertisement