Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Phone Call Charges - Austria

• 22-01-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I was in Austria for Christmas and nearly died of shock when I got my Vodafone bill the other day!!! As a low usage customer, as in my bill would only be about €40/€50 each month. This time, with approximately the same usage it was about €150!! bearing in mind I made only 3 phone calls over that period. The rest was text messages which come in at about 30c. I would say that the bulk of the bill was while in Austria.

So those of you going skiing to this country! BEWARE. Vodafone advised me that while I am on PASSPORT, some countries do not subscribe to this system! Vodafone say, that if you do go abroad, ring them in advance and they will tell you if there is an agreement with them and the provider there! Again, the big rip off and the consumer paying for it! So, the mobile phone is being put aside for the month - no phone calls or texts til this bill is paid! It would probably be cheaper to buy a ready to go while in Austria. JUST BEWARE CONSUMERS once again!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

With Vodafone Passport, you pay the same rate as you would in Ireland, plus a €0.79 "set up" charge for each call made or received.

So for example, if you make a call that would usually cost €4, it will cost you €4.79 while in Austria. Equally if you receive a call while in Austria, which would usually cost you nothing, this will cost you €0.79 while in Austria.

The set up charge is once off per call, no matter how long the call is. Passport is free, but you need to tell Vodafone to activate it on your account. Most people don't, especially on prepay.

suitseir, this may be of interest to you: http://www.three.ie/international/index.html

3 don't charge you any extra fees if you roam on the 3 network in Austria. You pay exactly the same as if you were at home, and you can even use your inclusive minutes! Unfortunately they don't have networks in most of the countries I travel to frequently, but if you travel to Austria, Italy and Sweden, it's worth looking at (full list at the link above). And I'm afraid a lot of countries I travel to, like Germany, Spain and Portugal are missing from the list, so Passport is giving me the better deal at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

sorry to hear that man, i learned the hard way a few years back when i was with vodafone now i always research roaming before going to a place (usually takes 5 mins max like)
    though like urban weigi said im with 3 and if your going to a country with a 3 network you'll get the cheapest and best service no doubt
    though stay away from 3 if your roaming in spain total and utter disgrace from my knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Hmm.

Just a thought, but while in Austria, did you manually select the Vodafone network? If you didn't, even with Passport enabled on your account, you were likely paying "standard" roaming rates.

That would explain the high bill, since I've found that with Passport, I really haven't paid much extra.

Advertisement