Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 katieg28

hey I'm living in galway city also and have applied for gamsat in London in september.. I'd really love to meet up with those of you based in Galway for a chat about it all... what your covering.. books your using etc.. please let me know if anyone is available... cheers.. and hope study is going well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ferggamsat

If you ar interested in joining a study group for GAMSAT be outside NUIG tomo at 7pm

Ferg

Hey,

I'm trying for gamsat in September and have hit a wall... I've alot of the necessary knowledge already for the science section, but I'm really finding it difficult to adapt it to the questions... particularly the math based ones... it's been a very long time since I've have to work anything like these out... does anyone know any secondary school teachers that would maybe give me a few grinds... or anyone in college that has a spare hour or two...

Desperately seeking advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Yilmaz

If you're feeling very anxious you could check the Galway Advertiser for maths tutors. A study group might be more suitable though. Something you get wrong someone else could help with and vice versa. Try and relax though. One or two dodgy questions doesn't reflect your ability and like everyone else you'll feel your share of ups and downs in the mean time. It's all part of the prep and perfectly natural. If it's 1 or 2 questions in particular just PM it or post it here and someone will surely help solve it :). Till be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Docnic

Hey there just looking 4 a little info...
    I'm doing the GAMSAT exam in March & I'm thinking of doing a preparatory course as I'm determined to give it a good shot. I think I would get the results for Limerick however I really want to go to the RCSI so the course might give me a bit of a boost (hopefully). Can anyone recommend anything or have any advice??
    Also wondering whether anyone would be interested in forming a study group based in Dublin for the GAMSAT?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aninut

Hi, anyone going to sit the GAMSAT exam in March for vet med in UCD?

just did the exam in London on friday.. wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still planning on doing it in March. I too really want RCSI.. and so am also planning on doing revision courses.. the gradmed one is ment to be pretty good...

Does anyone one know of anyone giving chemistry grinds???? I am pretty stuck and want to start on them asap...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

hey, im going to do it for the first time in march - havent a clue where to start? anyone up for study group in dublin?

Hey there r a few people that have expressed a keen interest and we have decided to start meeting from the first week of october on if you would like to join us. More details on the the GAMSAT 2009 Dublin Study Group forum on newmediamedicine.com (brilliant website by the way)

If anyone is interested in joining the Dublin Study Group we are thinking of meeting on monday evening at DIT Bolton Street. Send me a msg if you are interested in coming??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoPea

Hi,

I've decided to study medicine and am scouring the internet for the best ways to be successing in starting in September 2009. Numerous hurdles to this though it seems this will be the easiest part of in career handbrake turn!

From what I can gather, if you have only a partial and distant scientific background, Section III is best prep'ed for with a tutor. Did anyone do this and / or does anyone have any recommendations for one? Or is there anyone who worked for a material amount of time in a non-science field who has a successful strategy they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Is there anyone who is committed to starting in September 09 what would like to buddy with me through the inevitable highs and lows of the next six months, please drop me a line! I've got fantastic friends and family supporting me and..... there is nothing like having someone on the ground with you.

Rgds

JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yvemc

Docnic wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in joining the Dublin Study Group we are thinking of meeting on monday evening at DIT Bolton Street. Send me a msg if you are interested in coming??

hi there, i have just decided to sit the GAMSAT's in march and i am looking to join this study group if possible? can you contact me with details? my email is yvonne.mcnamara1@ucd.ie

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adamkane

If the study group is still on for the GAMSAT in March I'd really like to join. I'd be really grateful if someone could fill me in on the details. My email is adamdkane@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 akinfeev

The Dublin study group discussed here is made up of people with scientific backgrounds or simply anyone taking the GAMSAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Katharos

hey there.... I got 70 in GAMSAT in March 08 and would be interested in tutoring your study group. Also have a lot of study material. Let me know if there is any interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 akinfeev

I'm not sure whether that study group was founded or not, but I would like to know if it requires a strong scientific background. I took GAMSAT last year and scored 43, I tried to recover nine years of non-scientific studies in 5 months and that was all I could get. I mean, I'm not a total ignorant anymore but still it's not the same as someone coming from that field. Can anyone answer the question?

Hey Katharos? What kind of tutoring would you be able to do?

Hi Hazel,
    I got 70 in the gamsat last year. If you are looking for a tutor I would be happy to help out. I live in Galway and would be delighted to give a few tutorials to you on your own or to a group. I also have a lot of notes

Hi,

I am 32, female and will be studying for GAMSAT 2008. I'm just wondering if there is anyone in Galway that would be interested in a study group??? It might not be as painful.....!!!

You can mail me if you are interested at hazeldochas@yahoo.com,

Hope to talk spoon :D

I would be able to help out with the Science section and have a lot of good notes for the essay sections
    akinfeev wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether that study group was founded or not, but I would like to know if it requires a strong scientific background. I took GAMSAT last year and scored 43, I tried to recover nine years of non-scientific studies in 5 months and that was all I could get. I mean, I'm not a total ignorant anymore but still it's not the same as someone coming from that field. Can anyone answer the question?

Hey Katharos? What kind of tutoring would you be able to do?

Hi Katie, would love to help you out, sat Gamsat in March 08 and got 70. Would be very willing to give grinds in Galway or Dublin
    katieg28 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm trying for gamsat in September and have hit a wall... I've alot of the necessary knowledge already for the science section, but I'm really finding it difficult to adapt it to the questions... particularly the math based ones... it's been a very long time since I've have to work anything like these out... does anyone know any secondary school teachers that would maybe give me a few grinds... or anyone in college that has a spare hour or two...

Desperately seeking advice...

Hi there. If you're looking for help with GAMSAT let me know, I sat it in March 2008 and got 70, would love to do some tutoring in Galway if you're interested
    Nukes86 wrote: »
    hey
    I would also be interested in joining a study group..living in galway this summer. Might as well start doing something, not doing much else!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Hi guys,
    Im new to this scene and im going to do the GAMSAT exams as soon as possible.
    Would anyone be available for a meetup sometime? Galway, Limerick, Cork Dublin anyplace really?

Thanks guys
    This is going to be the start of a wonderful journey ;) ...
    John

I took Gamsat in March 08, would love to tutor you. I got a score of 70. I can tutor in Galway or Dublin, and attend group sessions. I have a lot of material
    JoPea wrote: »
    Hi,

I've decided to study medicine and am scouring the internet for the best ways to be successing in starting in September 2009. Numerous hurdles to this though it seems this will be the easiest part of in career handbrake turn!

From what I can gather, if you have only a partial and distant scientific background, Section III is best prep'ed for with a tutor. Did anyone do this and / or does anyone have any recommendations for one? Or is there anyone who worked for a material amount of time in a non-science field who has a successful strategy they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Is there anyone who is committed to starting in September 09 what would like to buddy with me through the inevitable highs and lows of the next six months, please drop me a line! I've got fantastic friends and family supporting me and..... there is nothing like having someone on the ground with you.

Rgds

JP

Hi John, would love to meet up and do some tutoring, I sat Gamsat last year and did really well
    slemons wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im new to this scene and im going to do the GAMSAT exams as soon as possible.
    Would anyone be available for a meetup sometime? Galway, Limerick, Cork Dublin anyplace really?

Thanks guys
    This is going to be the start of a wonderful journey ;) ...
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flowerpower

hey i was wondering how much time exactly do you need to prepare for the gamsats?im in 3rd year pharmacy at the moment so have a pretty good(well im supposed to!) knowedge of bio and chem, but dont really have much physics. A lot of people seem to have done the gamsats with loadsa their time free for study but iv a crappy enough timetable and a fair bitta coursework as well so would from now to march be enough time if i can only really study for it intensively on weekends and holidays?i just dont have a huge amount of free time, will what i have be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Hi flowerpower,

I had a similar degree to you (Medicinal Chemistry) and didn't really need to do much study. Was also working in a full time job (60+ hours a week) at the time which didn't help matters. All I did was look at a college Physics book a couple of weeks before hand and did some of the practice questions. Most people tend to spend most of their time studying organic chem. If I could go back, I would have practiced essay-writing too to brush up on my skills which hadn't been used since the leaving cert!!!

In the end I ended up with a score of 66 (around the 96th percentile) and am now in 2nd year GEP! Seems that chemistry and pharmacy-related degrees are enormously helpful for GAMSAT.

Eerie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

hi
    just wondering what would be a good choice, for an undergraduate degree eg science physio pharmacy
    to prepare for the gamsat and postgraduate medicine.
    got 560 last year currently on a gap year and doing the hpat this year. also applied to ucas.. so wondering about second cao choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

lala00 wrote: »
    hi
    just wondering what would be a good choice, for an undergraduate degree eg science physio pharmacy
    to prepare for the gamsat and postgraduate medicine.
    got 560 last year currently on a gap year and doing the hpat this year. also applied to ucas.. so wondering about second cao choice..

I'm currently preparing for the GAMSATs, and in doing so, I'm taking grinds from a Pharmacy undergrad. I don't know what the course is like overall, however as there is (obviously) plenty of chemistry, particularly organic, together with anatomy and physiology, it would provide a very strong foundation for the GAMSATs, and I would imagine also the material in the early years of the GEP itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sthealy

Hi all....Would very much appreciate some guidance....

I am 32 and have a 1.1 business degree and 10+ years commercial experience. Its been a LONG time since I studied Physics in school, and I never touched on Chem or Bio subjects.

I have been grappling with the enormous decision to turn my life upsidedown and returning to study a med degree.

So, what are the chances (realistically speaking) of knocking out a high score in the GAMSAT in only 2 short months? Section 3 is the only section I am concerned with due to a weak scientific backgound.

Has anyone had a similar recent experience/advice they could share with me?

Thank-you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Yep im studying for it this minute.
    Everything is achievable mate :)
    Back yourself and you wont believe what you can do :)

Get the right matieral for revision. I got Des O Neill notes. They're spoken of as the best
    paging Dr is the best site for gamsat ive found. Its aussie site...

But get your skates on... Its 8 weeks to the day in 51 mins time.

Good luck.
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I am sure many of you studying for the GAMSAT have formulated a list of material to cover at this stage, but I thought I would throw up this link:

http://pagingdr.proboards61.com/index.cgi?board=s3&action=display&thread=153

It contains a great deal of valuable info on specific areas worth covering. There are some good links to other sources also. At the moment I am working off a combination of two lists on the page, which seems to provide a good basis of knowledge for the exam (it's just getting around to studying it all is the hard part ;))

Advertisement