Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Katharos

Hi Katie,
    Ellen here. I am a friend of Rebeccas (hope this is the right Katie!!), she was telling me you're doing the GAMSAT
    Give me a PM if you want a chat about it. I sat it last year and got 70... just in case you feel like a chat!!
    Hope you're doing good !
    Ellen

katieg28 wrote: »
    hey I'm living in galway city also and have applied for gamsat in London in september.. I'd really love to meet up with those of you based in Galway for a chat about it all... what your covering.. books your using etc.. please let me know if anyone is available... cheers.. and hope study is going well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stoney66

Hi all,

I am sitting the GAMSAT in March, and trying to get the study in at the moment. Basically I am in the penultimate year of my degree, and on work placement for 8 months as part of the course, so I am finding it really difficult to find time to study as much as I need to.

I am from a non-science background which doesn't help. Can anyone recommend some topics to cover as a crash course over the next 7 weeks? I have the option of sitting them in London in September pending the results of March, but I would like to get a somewhat decent score this time around.

So far I have covered:
    Basic chemistry
    Working my way throug Organic Chemistry for Dummies
    Enzymes
    Basic physics
    Homeostasis
    Respiration
    The Cell

I would greatly appreciate any advice, as I am starting to panic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Hi all,

I'm a first-timer who has signed up to do the exam on a bit of a career-changing whim. In slight difficulty as haven't touched science since Junior Cert... I know... am working through revision books etc. it's like trying to learn a new language.
    I am taking the attitude that if I pass, I pass and I would love to go back to college. I am so taken with the anatomy/physiology side of the studying that hopefully I can break through the barrier of illegible organic chemistry!
    So I was wondering if anyone else is in the position of coming from a non-science background and laying all their hopes on six weeks of study?! Sure I'll see how it goes.
    Also don't see too many people talking about the English sections - aren't they worth 50% of the test? I suppose there isn't too much that can be done in the way of study for those, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I gave grinds to a girl for Chemistry GAMSAT a couple of years ago. She had practice books.

I don't remember science section looking particularly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I have a question for those on the graduate entry course, and prospective students. How do you manage to pay for the fees?

I thought about doing the graduate medicine course this year, but the huge fees put me off. I simply cannot afford them- not this year anyway. Do you seriously have to stump up nearly 13k each year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Good luck to all doing the exams...
    Gamsat Section 3 seems to be broken down into 40% organic chem, 10% chem, 30% biology, 20% physics.
    Thats being very rough and just from what ive seen in the practice exams...

The biology can be intuitative from the info that is given in a lot of cases.
    You could probably do well in gamsat without knowing off reams of formulas for physics etc. As they give you most of it...

Organic Chem is a biggie. SN1, SN2 various hydocarbon reactions and their products, chirality, resonance. Its not so intuitave.

The 2 english sections require a decent bit of practice too. Theyre looking for clarity of thought and structure in the essays. Section1 on verbal reasoning is as much about time keeping as anything else. You have to move past the hard q's to get to the easy q's...

It seems like a cool exam though. Makes sure you know your ****!
    I wonder how 600 point LC'ers would do in it?

I have a question for those on the graduate entry course, and prospective students. How do you manage to pay for the fees?

I thought about doing the graduate medicine course this year, but the huge fees put me off. I simply cannot afford them- not this year anyway. Do you seriously have to stump up nearly 13k each year?

Friend of mine is doing graduate medicine at the moment.
    There are special loans banks give to medicine students.

Guess they assume you'll be earning enough afterwards to pay it all back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

ebmma wrote: »
    Friend of mine is doing graduate medicine at the moment.
    There are special loans banks give to medicine students.

Guess they assume you'll be earning enough afterwards to pay it all back :D

Thanks. I'll probably go that route eventually myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

etymon wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a first-timer who has signed up to do the exam on a bit of a career-changing whim. In slight difficulty as haven't touched science since Junior Cert... I know... am working through revision books etc. it's like trying to learn a new language.
    I am taking the attitude that if I pass, I pass and I would love to go back to college. I am so taken with the anatomy/physiology side of the studying that hopefully I can break through the barrier of illegible organic chemistry!
    So I was wondering if anyone else is in the position of coming from a non-science background and laying all their hopes on six weeks of study?! Sure I'll see how it goes.
    Also don't see too many people talking about the English sections - aren't they worth 50% of the test? I suppose there isn't too much that can be done in the way of study for those, though...

These websites might help you with the Chemistry.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?action=forum They are very good at getting back to you with answers on here.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

To add to Larianne's websites above, this is a good resource if you want a break from reading. I find it great for revision. There are videos and loads of practise tests with solutions provided.

http://ochem.jsd.claremont.edu/

• Advertisement

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MRon8

Hi All,

I am a 22 year old Commerce Graduate, who is just about to complete a Masters in Business Studies, but alas I cannot get a job! I am seriously thinking about sitting next years GAMSATS in Dublin, but I am unclear about a number of things and would like some advice if anyone is willing to help.

First of all, I am wondering if I would be out of my depth in studying for the GAMSATs. I am a disciplined, dedicated studier and I would allocate 5 or 6 intense months of study to the exam but the problem is I have not studied Biology or Chemistry since my Junior Cert. I completed my LC in 2005 and I got 560 points, and an A2 in Physics so I would not be too worried about the Physics aspect of things. But would it be possible to bring my Chem & Bio up to an adequate level without a background in either? And if I was to attempt to tackle each of these subject areas, what would be the best way to start? Meticulous study of the recommended text books with one eye on exam papers or what?

Also, I am fearful that if college fees are re-introduced would that spell an end to the days of the Government subsidising half the GEM fees? How are people who have taken out huge student debts to complete the course faring financially? Is the huge financial burden worthwhile?

Thanks for Reading!
    M

MRon8 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a 22 year old Commerce Graduate, who is just about to complete a Masters in Business Studies, but alas I cannot get a job! I am seriously thinking about sitting next years GAMSATS in Dublin, but I am unclear about a number of things and would like some advice if anyone is willing to help.

First of all, I am wondering if I would be out of my depth in studying for the GAMSATs. I am a disciplined, dedicated studier and I would allocate 5 or 6 intense months of study to the exam but the problem is I have not studied Biology or Chemistry since my Junior Cert. I completed my LC in 2005 and I got 560 points, and an A2 in Physics so I would not be too worried about the Physics aspect of things. But would it be possible to bring my Chem & Bio up to an adequate level without a background in either? And if I was to attempt to tackle each of these subject areas, what would be the best way to start? Meticulous study of the recommended text books with one eye on exam papers or what?

Also, I am fearful that if college fees are re-introduced would that spell an end to the days of the Government subsidising half the GEM fees? How are people who have taken out huge student debts to complete the course faring financially? Is the huge financial burden worthwhile?

Thanks for Reading!
    M

Hi!

My personal opinion on this is ---- you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    There's a big difference between a good knowledge of chem and bio and being able to do well in exams (GAMSAT included).
    If I were you I'd get as many of the study books as they provide (kind of like past papers really) and just work through them. Every time you read a question in,say, chemistry section and you don't remember material - look it up in a good book and write some condensed notes on it. That way you'll remember the subject and will get used to the GAMSAT format.
    And just keep working through questions.

It'll make your studies more focused, rather than just opening a textbook on page one and getting completely overwhelmed by it all.

Best of luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dermot Murphy

Hi Ebmma,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've just finished a humanities degree and want to sit the GAMSAT in March. The standard needed is first-year college, which shouldn't be beyond you. You should get the practice tests from the GAMSAT website. They give you an idea of the type of questions asked and an answer section which shows the reasoning which leads to the correct answer. You can get cheap textbooks on Amazon for all the major topics.

As for the fees, your guess is as good as any one's. We'll have to wait and see.

Best of luck.

Dermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

MRon8 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for Reading!
    M

i got a b2 in physics and i find i grand, you'll be laughting with an A2

You can learn biology, its not a hard topic if you put in the time

For chemistry search the web for videos, they are what helped me most.

Stay aways from "Chemistry for dummies" etc they are not suited for the Gamsat imo, get the bigger friendly looking books with colour pictures and loads of questions and worked examples, emphasis on redox, acids/bases, energetics and org chem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

ebmma wrote: »
    Hi!

My personal opinion on this is ---- you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    There's a big difference between a good knowledge of chem and bio and being able to do well in exams (GAMSAT included).
    If I were you I'd get as many of the study books as they provide (kind of like past papers really) and just work through them. Every time you read a question in,say, chemistry section and you don't remember material - look it up in a good book and write some condensed notes on it. That way you'll remember the subject and will get used to the GAMSAT format.
    And just keep working through questions.

It'll make your studies more focused, rather than just opening a textbook on page one and getting completely overwhelmed by it all.

Best of luck :-)

Have to disagree with you there ebmma,

Science imo is a massively interconnected subject and understanding the bigger picture of an area is important, questions in the gamsat are rarely based on one fact, you generally need to draw information together...not as hard as it sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Just took exam in the UK last Friday so still buzzing on the topic of GAMSAT.

Going to take a week or two off and then get cracking for the exam in March 2010.

Anybody done Gradmed course?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

MedGal wrote: »
    Just took exam in the UK last Friday so still buzzing on the topic of GAMSAT.

Going to take a week or two off and then get cracking for the exam in March 2010.

Anybody done Gradmed course?

hi guys 'n' gals,

back in the land of the living. I'm doing the gradmed course in Jan 2010.

Do you have any idea when Gradmed is on?

Anyone else take GAMSAT in the UK last wk?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

hi guys 'n' gals,

back in the land of the living. I'm doing the gradmed course in Jan 2010.

Yes,,, it's on for 10 weeks, January, February and first 2 weeks of March.

The following week is Gamsat exam

• Advertisement

Yes,,, it's on for 10 weeks, January, February and first 2 weeks of March.

The following week is Gamsat exam

Thanks for that and thanks for sending me the fees etc. I've never been able to electronic copies of info from Gradmed.

Think I'll do the full revision course for science and Maths.

Taking about 2weeks off and then I'll get back into my study.

So what appeals to you all or has made you want to do graduate entry medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bioscience

hi does anyone know if its easier to get into the uk for grad med than ireland??? thinkin of sitting it next year. and can you sit the test if ur still in ur final year of an honours degree course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bioscience

hi,
    im in my 3rd year of an honours degree, can i sit the gamsat or should i be sitting it in the last year of my course? i know that you can hang to your results for 2 years so if i got the required result i could go in after im done with my degree. also is there a fee to sit the gamsat in ireland? or the one in uk?
    many thanks.....

liberal wrote: »

Stay aways from "Chemistry for dummies" etc they are not suited for the Gamsat imo, get the bigger friendly looking books with colour pictures and loads of questions and worked examples, emphasis on redox, acids/bases, energetics and org chem

I agree that the Dummies books will not cut it for the Gamsat HOWEVER for anyone with a non-science background they are a must because they give you the feel for what is otherwise an impossible subject before moving onto the university texts.

I didn't appreciate when I sat the exam in March that you need a general overview. For example, I did no physics thinking 'oh, well, it's only 10%' and did no biology thinking 'ah sure you just look at the pictures' etc. and did a small bit of Organic Chemistry for Dummies - definitely not enough. And nowhere near enough if you are iffy on the Sections I and II.

Really enjoying the sciencenow but self-teaching is no match for a uni degree you lucky lucky people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

Hi guys

I've just graduated with an Arts Degree in German and English from NUI Galway, however I'm one per cent shy of the required 2.1. I would love to pursue the Graduate Entry BM/BS but I'm wondering if I would be wasting my time sitting the GAMSAT in March considering my second class honours grade two. I have e-mailed all of the colleges re same and am currently awaiting their replies/rejections!! Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Emma

Emma,

As far as I know, the 2.1 rule is strict. There is at least one uni in the UK that accepts a 2.2, maybe more than one. Haven't a clue which one it is but I've definitely seen it mentioned on forums.

When did u finish the course, are the results finalised? Is there any chance you could appeal one of your results?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

hey guys

can someone advise if the des o neill notes are the best to study from after uv looked at acer material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

MedGal wrote: »
    Emma,

As far as I know, the 2.1 rule is strict. There is at least one uni in the UK that accepts a 2.2, maybe more than one. Haven't a clue which one it is but I've definitely seen it mentioned on forums.

When did u finish the course, are the results finalised? Is there any chance you could appeal one of your results?

I graduated a week ago so can't get my results rechecked. To be honest I shouldn't have got on as well as I did, considering the work I put into that degree. 'Twas a tough final year for alot of reasons!

There are four universities I've found so far in England that will consider 2.2s, Nottingham, St Georges, Peninsula and Swansea, but if anyone knows of more, holla!!

The fees seem to be a good bit cheaper over there too. I'm going to sit the Irish GAMSAT in March to get a feel for it and then the UK GAMSAT in September with a view to applying to all of the above! Any thoughts on voluntary work/work experience that might be beneficial to my applications?

I was also considering sitting Leaving Cert Physics and Chemistry this coming June......must go find out if that's a possibility.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

5803emma wrote: »
    I graduated a week ago so can't get my results rechecked. To be honest I shouldn't have got on as well as I did, considering the work I put into that degree. 'Twas a tough final year for alot of reasons!

There are four universities I've found so far in England that will consider 2.2s, Nottingham, St Georges, Peninsula and Swansea, but if anyone knows of more, holla!!

The fees seem to be a good bit cheaper over there too. I'm going to sit the Irish GAMSAT in March to get a feel for it and then the UK GAMSAT in September with a view to applying to all of the above! Any thoughts on voluntary work/work experience that might be beneficial to my applications?

I was also considering sitting Leaving Cert Physics and Chemistry this coming June......must go find out if that's a possibility.......

I'm in a similar situation, got 59% there in June it's a killer!! Anyway I emailed a few of the uni's in England a while back about this and most of them said they were pretty strict on this. However King's told me they'd also consider somebody with an MA/MSc as long as the person achieved a merit. Imperial said on the website they'd do the same and few others, eg Warwick will accept PhDs. That said you find a lot of this info is often incorrect even on the official websites. The best thing is to contact them individually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coco daly

Hi everybody, I've a degree in psychology and masters in applied psychology and seriously considering taking gamsat this march. Is there any courses in the dublin area for revsion and can anybody tell me the revision material allow you to score your answers aside from essay questions obviously cheers

Advertisement