Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Leem216

I am just about to finish my final year doing a level 8 in science but wanna do the GAMSAT's and have even more doors open I was wondering if anybody can tell me the entry requirements like what I need 2.2 and so on? If it was that you only got a 2.2 is there any possibility to get access to doing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

you must have a 2:1; they will make you give evidence of this to the CAO so there is no point going this route if you only get a 2:2 I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 singletraveller

hmm...I'm currently doing GEP in Ireland, and whilst you must have a 2.1 for entry into any of the colleges here, I vaguely recall seeing that some uni's in the UK accept 2.2's if you'd be prepared to go over there. I'm pretty certain it was only one or two, but if you're interested in going down that route you may as well look them up! it will be highly competitive though so you'd better knock their socks off in the application/interview parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Considering going down this route in about a years time. How are people finding grad medicine? I graduated with a degree in Commerce from UCD in 2009 but am now working in disability support in DIT. I really enjoy it but its a pretty dead end job so am going to try organise a few placements come the summer in hospitals if I can to try and get my head around it. Pretty much sure I want to work in health sciences, the only question in terms of doing medicine here is that of fees. Not sure about medicine but in the UK the NHS pay fees for alot of medical students for EU students (my brother is doing a two years masters in physio at East Anglia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 limerick_girl

Hi there
    I got my GAMSAT results this morning.
    I don't think I'll make the cut.
    How did everyone's results go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skeaton

I did GAMSAT March 2010. I'm going into 2nd year GEP med now. I used study notes and sample papers I ordered from Australia. I have 7 sample papers and notes covering all topics (including essay writing). I'm selling the whole lot for €200 .

The best advice I got was to stay calm on the day. I didn't have nearly enough time for all the science questions so I guessed 'C' for about the last 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

skeaton wrote: »
    I did GAMSAT March 2010. I'm going into 2nd year GEP med now. I used study notes and sample papers I ordered from Australia. I have 7 sample papers and notes covering all topics (including essay writing). I'm selling the whole lot for €200 .

The best advice I got was to stay calm on the day. I didn't have nearly enough time for all the science questions so I guessed 'C' for about the last 30.

How did you find them?

Do they include all the "course content" (I'm aware there isn't any sort of strict course content) or are they guides on what to study and approach to the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skeaton

How did you find them?

Do they include all the "course content" (I'm aware there isn't any sort of strict course content) or are they guides on what to study and approach to the exam?

I found them v good. The most useful parts were the notes on how to write essays and the organic chemistry stuff. They definitely cover all the ‘course content’. They give you info you need, they’re not just guides on what you should study. Some of the notes are overkill, like the human biology stuff.
    As regards the past papers, they are good for practice, especially the science. The passages in the ‘reasoning in humanties’ sections were much easier than GAMSAT...
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CeannComhairle

[HTML]"I did GAMSAT March 2010. I'm going into 2nd year GEP med now. I used study notes and sample papers I ordered from Australia. I have 7 sample papers and notes covering all topics (including essay writing). I'm selling the whole lot for €200 ."[/HTML]

@Skeaton - hi, currently thinking of changing career from psychology to medicine, have never done chemistry however so would the notes and books you're selling be helpful? Do you still have them?

Sorry if you've already sold them - so many posts saying different things it's hard to take it all in! Also, any advice from anybody greatly appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 southsidegal

GAMSAT Preparation Materials for sale - good price!
    Hi all
    I have the following material available for collection / delivery (within reason) - I live in South Dublin

1) "Organic Chemistry" - Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers: as new

2) "Organic Chemistry Solutions Manual" - Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers: as new

Euro 30 and Euro 20 respectively or Euro 40 for the pair

3) Cliffs Quick Review: Biochemistry I and Biochemistry II

Euro 8 each or Euro 10 for the pair

4) "Complete Idiots Guide to Chemistry" -2nd Edition: some underlining in a couple of the early chapters, otherwise as new

Euro 10

5) Gamsat: Practice Test and Practice Questions (as new)

Euro 25 and Euro 15 respectively or Euro 30 for the pair

SPECIAL OFFER: Euro 80 FOR THE LOT!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sallyann55

alanoc83 wrote: »
    hey,
    did anyone sit it in march or is this the first time for a lot of you?

Hi I sat the Gamsat in sept 2010, just got my results on friday got 59/58/51 with average of 55. I m a commerce graduate and aspiring doctor!:confused: I graduated last year but and decided to go back and do my leaving cert cause prob of gettin gamsat looked fairly slim, so did very little prep(did intensive revision gradmed course but nothin outside that and had never studied science except ag science for my leaving in 2007) as was starting back at school and was sure i d fail it anyway....but now have no idea whether to stick to my leaving cert study and go undergrad route or pack it in and actually study science until march and work on my gamsat and try bring my score in science section up from 51, and therefore pull up my average from 55 to low sixities????

anyone any ideas at all??????? am so confused as what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Hi,

I think that a 55 with very little prep was a great score and you should be able to improve on it if you sit the exam again in March.

I got 55 last March. I sat the exam again this September and got a 64! I'm an Arts/Law graduate with very little Science knowledge so it can be done!

Just my two cents worth:)

galwayllm wrote: »
    Hi,

I think that a 55 with very little prep was a great score and you should be able to improve on it if you sit the exam again in March.

I got 55 last March. I sat the exam again this September and got a 64! I'm an Arts/Law graduate with very little Science knowledge so it can be done!

Just my two cents worth:)
    thanks so much for the you point of view galwayllm, i really appreciate it:) i was just wondering do u remember what u got in each section of the exam first and second time round?the second time u went for it did u study sciences? or how did u go about doin it?

thanks again for takin time to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Also getting on board the gamsat ship. Did Leaving Cert Physics and got an A2 and always loved Science so hoping I'll be OK for the day in March! I have a lot of free time between now and then so hopefully I can make up the ground I need...

Still need to buy materials of some sort though...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

sallyann55 wrote: »
    thanks so much for the you point of view galwayllm, i really appreciate it:) i was just wondering do u remember what u got in each section of the exam first and second time round?the second time u went for it did u study sciences? or how did u go about doin it?

thanks again for takin time to reply :)

Sorry for the delay, I only read this post now.

Results!

Gamsat Ireland 2010: s1 65 s2 62 s3 46

Gamsat UK 2010: S1 74 S2 70 S3 56

The first time I tackled Gamsat I hadn't done much studying. The second time I did try to prepare and I followed Etymon's advice which can be found on Boards or on the website doc2be.ie. I focused mainly on Science study using Des O'Neill, the ACER booklets and some MCAT books.

Good luck if you decide to do Gamsat Ireland 2011!

hey gguys, wondering if anyone would be up fro a gamsat study group in dublin or in sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spike83

right i've applied to do the gamsats originally so that i could apply for graduate entry veterinary.i've a masters degree in pharmacy at a level 2.2 which is acceptable for veterinary.on reading through the gamsat booklet it only mentioned bachelor at a level of 2.1 to apply for the graduate entry medicine programs.my question is am I eligible!i though i maybe for the last month, and now after paying to do it, i'm nervous i may not be.

anybody ever have issue with eligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I dont know what the story is with vet, but for med you have to hold a 2.1 degree. It doesn't matter if you have a higher qualification. Gamsat don't give a hoot what you have, they'll let you sit with a dodgy junior cert if you want. It's only at the application stage when degree comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kevinmcinerney

Hey dudes. I bought the Des O Neil notes but I am missing pages 20-29. Can anyone help? They are about proteins.

Your hopefully,

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Spike - a 2:2 will make you eligible for three Grad courses in England - but not here unfortunately :(

Im wishing and hoping it changes!

You can go the mature entry undergrad route with the HPAT, but your looking at 5-6years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rosalind1

Hi

I am planning on sitting the gamsat exams in March 2014.

I need grinds or to join a group for the chemistry, physics also english.

If there is anyone who has some spare time I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you,

Rosaleen

Advertisement