Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bike is better?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I don't know as much as some of the guys on here, but the two treks have front suspension, and I don't think you need it for commuting. Anytime i've cycled anything with suspension it just seems to suck the power from your legs unless it's really stiff.

I have a rigid hardrock with slicks that i use for commuting, and if i was gonna change i'd probably go for something similar to the giant.

My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

I agree with Cunnings about not going for a suspension hybrid, particularly if you're looking for something light. If you really need it, then it's not a hybrid but an mtb what you should get.

I wouldn't recommend you any of the 3, and would go for the Trek T-30 instead (or any similar model from the competition). Those sport/racing looking bikes look great when in the shop, but when you get to use them (i.e. rainy streets of Dublin), you'll be longing for a full chain cover (to protect your trousers), proper full mudguards (add 25 EUR if you want to get those plastic jokes that only cover half the wheel), stand, reflectors, etc for just 400 EUR. If your budget is 500/550, that leaves you with 150 EUR to spend on a couple of good locks and lights, and you'll have a bike for really long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I just realised i linked the wrong trek bikes. I couldn't find em myself on the trek site so my friend sent me those links and i didn't really check em out before pasting em in.

The trek bikes i was looking at had no front suspension. The rest of the spec for the bikes i looked at seems similar to the ones i linked though. I really don't want/need suspension on my wheels, i'm not mountain biking ;)

I'll check out the Trek T-30 and get back to you with my (uninformed) opinion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

The giant bike has road gears, but the two treks have mountain bike gears, what difference does that make?
    Most MTBs have a 44 cog on the front and 11 on the back, and a 26" wheel, the road bikes and most hybrids have 48+ on the front and 11 on the back and a 27" wheel. So the road bikes and hybrids are much higher geared. I got pissed off since my old MTB was so slow, i.e. my legs could not go fast enough and it had a 48 on the front, 11 on the back. My hybrid has 48/11 but the larger wheel means it travels more per revolution i.e. faster.

bikes can be very cheap online, check
    www.chainreactioncycles.com
    www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk

Advertisement