Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for vegetarian meatball substitute?

• 22-01-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am not a vegetarian, but my better half is and I am the cook, so I cook and eat a lot of vegetarian food.

I cater for a group of friends about once a week and try to accommodate everyone, while keeping the menu changing. Two of the party are vegetarians, while the other five or six are meat eaters.

I usually cook a vegetarian meal for everyone, whether it is a dhal curry, with garlic Naan, three bean chilli, or vegetarian lasagne, everyone usually gets the same.

This week, I would like to do my pomodoro tomato sauce. This is simple tomato, garlic, onion and herb sauce, which I do from first principals, with fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs and garlic, lot's of olive oil, red wine, etc. and is suitable for serving on it's own with pasta.

When serving this to meat eaters I usually make meatballs with garlic, to mix in and what I am looking for is something to give the vegetarians too.

I have tried making meatball like pieces, using the same mix I make lentil burgers with, but it was less than spectacular.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you can buy vegetarian meatballs, by a company called "realeat". i know that Tar.Aldarion has bought them; most likely in the evergreens stores in galway, but they are obtainable. and i hear quite tastey too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes Miss Rasmus is quite right. I get them in Evergreen stores in Galway. Quorn have released them in Ireland recently I take it, as I just discovered them.
    The are delicious. One of the very few meat substitutes I think are better than the real thing. 4.09e for 300g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

They sound perfect. Thanks.

Anyone know were I can get them in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i don't know of anywhere that has them in dublin. the two health food shops in dun laoghaire are too small to stock such things, but i'm not sure about the one in stillorgan, but you could give them a call (the health store; 2108608). they have a wider selection so it's worth asking. some places will order in what you are looking for, so if no one knows where they are available, why not try your luck?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

This is an old thread I know, but anyway, I'd fry sosmix and you can get that loads of places, Nature's Way I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement