Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Electron - Any banks in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know of any banks in Ireland that offer the Visa Elctron? When booking in Ryanair there's no extra charge for using the Visa Elecron but for Normal Visa they charge €5 per ticket.

Even if you have to pay the €40 Government charge I will save money as we book 2 or 3 trips with them every year for 4 people and some of them involved 2 flights.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Awful Scut

Just logged in to post this very question myself. I want a debit card, but the Maestro is fvcking useless for anything online.

Obviously AIB and Ulster Bank have some sort of sweetheart deal with Mastercard given that they're both using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

nava wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone know of any banks in Ireland that offer the Visa Elctron? When booking in Ryanair there's no extra charge for using the Visa Elecron but for Normal Visa they charge €5 per ticket.

Even if you have to pay the €40 Government charge I will save money as we book 2 or 3 trips with them every year for 4 people and some of them involved 2 flights.

Thanks

In the UK, the debit cards are called Solo and Electron.
    They are the UK equivilant of an Irish Laser Card (although the two above are more widely accepted)

I would imagine that the Solo and Electron cards are exclusive to UK only, just like a Laser card can only be issued in Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Hi smartblaa

Laser cards are not for use exclusively in Ireland. I regularly use mine in other
    EU countries for purchases in supermarkets and other retail outlets.
    I also use it for online purchases and have never encountered a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Awful Scut

Bump.

Anyone any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

What exactly do you want to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Does anyone know of any banks in Ireland that offer the Visa Elctron?

Think that was the question :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Halifax are planning ti issue Visa Debit cards in the near future. They are said they wanted to meet with other banks here to try and get them to do so too.

My guess Ulster bank will join up with them as Ulster allows retailers on their credit card system accept Visa Electron on internet & phone orders (as well as regular store sales).

As for time frame - haven't a clue. Report was in one of the sunday papers about 2 weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The only Irish institution afaik doing Electron is MBNA which have a prepaid 'gift card' like the 3v idea.
    It can be used both online and in any bricks and mortar store that take Visa Electron in Ireland.
    There's a maximum of €350 loading on it, €6 each time you purchase the card and €4 for a balance refund

https://mbnagift.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sweet if the Halifax are going to offer Visa debit - which isn't the same as Electron, btw - I will switch to them! It's a joke that we don't have visa debit, it's been around in the UK for at least 5 years now, I have one and it's so handy, you can use it everywhere Visa is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ZenV

Its almost a year since the question was asked (Ryanair just charge nearly €13 for 2 tickets using VISA ) just wondering if anything has changed :
    Does anyone know of any banks in Ireland that offer the Visa Electron?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance & Pensions.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No. Halifax however offer a normal Visa Debit card. How Ryanair handle it in relation to charges, I don't know however

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Halifax visa debit card is being used now but most places that do cash back (Tesco, Dunnes, M&S) may not have integrated Cash back on their terminals. I don't think any store in Ireland has started giving cash back on the cards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

None of the following do the Visa Electron Card:
    Bank of Ireland, AIB, First Active or MBNA

I think MBNA giftcard is the only option then. I wonder do Ryanair accept the gift card though. It says in the terms and conditions:
    You must not use the MBNA Gift! Card for preauthorised regular payments
    There is also an expiry date - plus if it gets lost or stolen you cannot replace it. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

axer wrote: »
    None of the following do the Visa Electron Card:
    Bank of Ireland, AIB, First Active or MBNA

I think MBNA giftcard is the only option then. I wonder do Ryanair accept the gift card though. It says in the terms and conditions:
    There is also an expiry date - plus if it gets lost or stolen you cannot replace it. Pity.

I was on hold waiting to buy an MBNA gift card when I came across your message, so I hung up. Ryanair's charges for using credit cards is putting me off flying with them. €8 per return ticket is a lot.

This seems an obvious market opening for someone in the banking world here. Do you know if the Halifax Visa debit card is a Visa Delta card, which costs €3 per return ticket.

I also notice that Ryanair features the Maestro card symbol (new since revamp?) on the payment page, but they don't allow you to use Maestro. Annoying (if they'd allow it for the same cost as Visa Delta).

Do you know if the Halifax Visa debit card is a Visa Delta card

Yes, it is a Visa Debit, the equivelant of the old "Delta" brand cards.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Yes, it is a Visa Debit, the equivelant of the old "Delta" brand cards.
    That's good to know. I might actually open an account with them just to get such a card. I generally fly Ryanair two or three times a year with the family, which means an extra €150 or so in credit card fees each year with a regular Visa card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Does ryanair see the Visa Debit card as a Visa Delta card then or what?

Charges per card:
    Ryanair Mastercard €4.00
    Ryanair Visa €4.00
    3V €4.00
    Visa Connect €1.50
    Visa Delta €1.50
    ELV €4.00
    Mastercard €4.00
    Visa Electron €0
    Visa €4.00

Narrowback wrote: »
    That's good to know. I might actually open an account with them just to get such a card. I generally fly Ryanair two or three times a year with the family, which means an extra €150 or so in credit card fees each year with a regular Visa card.

I don't know how Ryanair deal with them - as debit, or charge them as they would for a Visa credit card.

• Advertisement

Charges per card:
    Ryanair Mastercard €4.00
    Ryanair Visa €4.00
    3V €4.00
    Visa Connect €1.50
    Visa Delta €1.50
    ELV €4.00
    Mastercard €4.00
    Visa Electron €0
    Visa €4.00
    You know, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I was figuring that I'd ask Halifax before I opened the account. They might be able to get an answer from Ryanair because I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thewaterman

Ryanair now have the pleasure of charging €19 for using your Visa Card... Complete RIP off

Ryanair now have the pleasure of charging €19 for using your Visa Card... Complete RIP off

I just bought plane tickets - just now. I paid €4 per person, per flight. (€8 per round trip).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Charges per card:
    Ryanair Mastercard €4.00
    Ryanair Visa €4.00
    3V €4.00
    Visa Connect €1.50
    Visa Delta €1.50
    ELV €4.00
    Mastercard €4.00
    Visa Electron €0
    Visa €4.00

Last time i booked i paid €2 using the Visa Debit, that was in January.

davton wrote: »
    Last time i booked i paid €2 using the Visa Debit, that was in January.
    Do you mind me asking from what bank you got the Visa Debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you mind me asking from what bank you got the Visa Debit card?

No i dont mind :D

see linky
    Has all the details there, if u have any questions just ask. I find it great, only place so far i cant use it in is lidl.

davton wrote: »
    No i dont mind :D

see linky
    Has all the details there, if u have any questions just ask. I find it great, only place so far i cant use it in is lidl.
    Okay, that's it. I have to shake off the inertia and open that account at Halifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

Ask yourself, why do Ryanair offer tickets with no extra charge on Visa Electron cards.
    Because no one effin has a Visa Electron. As soon as people have the option to get Visa Electron cards. Wankair will start charging an arm and 2 legs to use the card.

Garry

Okay, that's it. I have to shake off the inertia and open that account at Halifax.

Don't forget the April 1st 40euro Government STEALth Tax for all the irish fools.
    You are ****£d no matter which way you turn in this country, the only thing left to do is bend over.

Sorry to be a party pooper.
    Garry

• Advertisement

I take back everything i said about our lovely country. The STEALth tax on Debit cards is only 5euro, i must rush out and get one.
    Garry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement