Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Electron - Any banks in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

garrycs69 wrote: »
    Don't forget the April 1st 40euro Government STEALth Tax for all the irish fools.
    You are ****£d no matter which way you turn in this country, the only thing left to do is bend over.

Sorry to be a party pooper.
    Garry

Its not 40euro anymore,, now €30. if you close another credit card you don't pay twice. But neither of these applies to the Halifax card as it is a Debit card.
    * ATM card: 5 euro
    * Debit (Laser) card: 5 euro
    * Combined ATM and debit card: 10 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BDPinDublin

I used to use VISA Electron debit cards in Brazil more than 8 years ago... I really don't know why here in Ireland we don't have it... And also, I'm sure Ryanair think their customers are fools, because with the "free" handling, they can advertise cheaper prices! (again, we have "fake" values being advertised...)
    But, even with these extras, Ryanair still cheaper (and still using they're "selling techniques" that made they grow from nothing to the bigger) - excellent for their business, not too bad for the price sensitive customers!!
    PS.: But I really don't understand why Electron is not issued in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bclewis

I see Ryanair have just changed their policy - now it's €5 each way for both credit and debit cards -so much for my Halifax Visa debit. Must have just changed in the last couple of weeks as I booked a flight last month at the lower cost.

The UK Post Office sell Visa Electron cards (in euros and other currencies) on their website http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19300207&mediaId=26800661. The bizarre thing is that they are issued by Bank of Ireland!!

Has anyone used an MBNA gift card on Ryanair's site -wonder would it work despite that condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bclewis wrote: »
    Has anyone used an MBNA gift card on Ryanair's site -wonder would it work despite that condition?
    Yes but there are restrictions like you cannot top it up. If you loose it you cannot get it replaced and there is a charge for getting it. A bit too risky for my liking. Plus what happens when you have €9.54 left and cannot get a flight for that. I suppose you could always spend that in tescos or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

OK we all know RyanAir will fleece you for everything, including using Credit and Debit cards to book online.

However, my gripe is with Aer Lingus, who state under their "Taxes and Charges" link during the booking process:
    5. Payment Card Handling Fee
    For all bookings except those originating in the USA, there is a handling fee charged. Charges as follows:
    €4 per person, per flight, Credit Card handling fee.
    €1.50 per person, per flight, Debit Card handling fee.

OK I have a Halifax Debit Card, but Aer Lingus charge me €4 per person/per flight regardless.

They seem to think that there is only one Debit Card, i.e. Laser.

Also, there is grave difficulty in contacting Aer Lingus via e-mail to complain, as they do not provide an e-mail address!!! The only contact for so-called Customer Care is a Fax Number, for God's sake. in 2008!!!!

I have found this difficulty with on-line booking using Halifax Visa Debit previously with Hotel Booking site www.1800Hotels.ie and www.roomsnet.com.

1800 Hotels charged me for using a Visa Debit same as Credit Card, whereas those using the Laser option were not charged. No apologies, simply told me their Bank charges them the same to process Visa Debit as Credit.

Roomsnet were simply not able to process the Irish Visa Debit, even when the Visa Debit option was selected during booking. At least Roomsnet were willing to refund the charge to me, as it seemed to be a bug in their booking system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

However, my gripe is with Aer Lingus, who state under their "Taxes and Charges" link during the booking process:

OK I have a Halifax Debit Card, but Aer Lingus charge me €4 per person/per flight regardless.

Actually your gripe is with Halifax, Laser is the only irish domestic debit card, while Halifix might operate your card as a debit card, it's processed in Ireland as a visa credit card.
    Also, there is grave difficulty in contacting Aer Lingus via e-mail to complain, as they do not provide an e-mail address!!! The only contact for so-called Customer Care is a Fax Number, for God's sake. in 2008!!!!
    At least the phone numbers are not toll-numbers...
    I have found this difficulty with on-line booking using Halifax Visa Debit previously with Hotel Booking site www.1800Hotels.ie and www.roomsnet.com.

1800 Hotels charged me for using a Visa Debit same as Credit Card, whereas those using the Laser option were not charged. No apologies, simply told me their Bank charges them the same to process Visa Debit as Credit.

Hey, just like Aer Lingus..
    Roomsnet were simply not able to process the Irish Visa Debit, even when the Visa Debit option was selected during booking. At least Roomsnet were willing to refund the charge to me, as it seemed to be a bug in their booking system.

Seriously, the same card has problems on many different sites, and you assume all the site have a problem, your card is the main common factor here, the problem is the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

OK we all know RyanAir will fleece you for everything, including using Credit and Debit cards to book online.

I can't stand calling Aer Lingus any more. I've actually called their US number - 001-800-474-7424 -when I need help. (Using Skype it's 2c per minute.)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

I see Ryanair have just changed their policy - now it's €5 each way for both credit and debit cards -so much for my Halifax Visa debit. Must have just changed in the last couple of weeks as I booked a flight last month at the lower cost.
    For once my procrastination was to my advantage. I'm glad I didn't open the Halifax account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Narrowback wrote: »
    I can't stand calling Aer Lingus any more. I've actually called their US number - 001-800-474-7424 -when I need help. (Using Skype it's 2c per minute.)

Hey narrowback, that's a great tip, using Skype to make calls like that. Wonder how much premium rate calls (ryanair etc) work out at? And while I'm at it I was booking 4 return flights the other day with Ryanair and was walloped with an extra 40 euro charge for using my credit card to book so I cancelled the whole trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The UK Post Office sell Visa Electron cards (in euros and other currencies) on their website http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19300207&mediaId=26800661. The bizarre thing is that they are issued by Bank of Ireland!!

the mince pies may not be the may west after 1500hrs of drug free olympics, well almost:)
    but I cant see the Visa electron card being offered on the above UK link.

All help welcome as I just cancelled a booking with Ryanair due to 60 euro cc charges.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ircoha wrote: »
    the mince pies may not be the may west after 1500hrs of drug free olympics, well almost:)
    but I cant see the Visa electron card being offered on the above UK link.

All help welcome as I just cancelled a booking with Ryanair due to 60 euro cc charges.
    Thanks

The Travel Money Card is a Visa Electron card!!!
    You can use your card anywhere that accepts VISA Electron.

Many thanks.
    Had a read of the T+C's and this is what I think is the way it works.

In this example assuming card is issued in euros and all transactions are in euros.

First Card: free
    All renewal cards: £5 each
    Closure: £5 or balance if lower.

What I cannot see is what period the card is issued for?

Initial funding of card done online, all top-ups are via fone to UK.

Funding is done in STG and they convert it to euro so u cannot say get 40 euro exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As part of the application procedure, however, you'll be asked to provide proof of address/ID which must be in the UK

BuffyBot wrote: »
    As part of the application procedure, however, you'll be asked to provide proof of address/ID which must be in the UK

Thanks for that.

Is there an annual Govt fee with the card?

Any thoughts on the length of time the card is valid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No government fees in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

so to sum up a 4 page thread it is not possible to get a visa electron card in ireland.

so to sum up a 4 page thread it is not possible to get a visa electron card in ireland.
    but possible via the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aramo

As I think axer pointed out the MBNA gift card, www.mbnagift.ie, is a VISA electron albeit prepaid and with some T&Cs you might not be pleased with. Using Firefox you might miss that the you need to phone a 1800 number to get the card look near the BUY NOW button. Some more details are available at www.mbnagiftcard.com

Does anyone know what fees apply with this card e.g. loading, purchase, atm usage?

ircoha wrote: »
    Many thanks.
    Had a read of the T+C's and this is what I think is the way it works.

In this example assuming card is issued in euros and all transactions are in euros.

First Card: free
    All renewal cards: £5 each
    Closure: £5 or balance if lower.

What I cannot see is what period the card is issued for?

Initial funding of card done online, all top-ups are via fone to UK.

Funding is done in STG and they convert it to euro so u cannot say get 40 euro exactly

Just to answer my own question re duration, I have an email this morning from UK Post stating that the duration is 2 years and then each renewal is 5 quid stg.

This, IMO, makes it an attractive option to explore once you can source a UK address.

If you are registering, have the UK address first as while it allows u have a number of addresses, the first one filled in is the 'master' address, which cannot be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MollieM

I just booked a flight with Ryanair, paid 10 euro for the visa card charge, I had to borrow the card as I cut my own visa up! they do not take the only Irish debit card (laser) which in my opinion beggers belief... I have written to them about this some time ago, and as you all probably know, I got NO reply to my email...

I would book with Aer lingus but they do not fly to stanstead.. honestly I am so fed up with sites that do not take laser, I do not understand why this is the case, but my shopping online is becomming very tedius as I am always trying to find sites that do take Irish debit cards (Irish sites included!!!)

Ok rant over now, but honestly why is this the case? is it that we a nation tend to sit back and say nothing?? go with the flow?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I do agree with you. However, at least it's not as bad as it used to be, now that Laser has become Maestro. I have used my Irish AIB Laser/Maestro card to pay for many things online. Including a UK Sky subscription and a UK car insurance policy with More Th>n!

MollieM wrote: »
    I just booked a flight with Ryanair, paid 10 euro for the visa card charge, I had to borrow the card as I cut my own visa up! they do not take the only Irish debit card (laser) which in my opinion beggers belief... I have written to them about this some time ago, and as you all probably know, I got NO reply to my email...

I would book with Aer lingus but they do not fly to stanstead.. honestly I am so fed up with sites that do not take laser, I do not understand why this is the case, but my shopping online is becomming very tedius as I am always trying to find sites that do take Irish debit cards (Irish sites included!!!)

Ok rant over now, but honestly why is this the case? is it that we a nation tend to sit back and say nothing?? go with the flow?? :confused:
    Don't use Laser online if you can. It is the equivalent to using cash. You cannot charge back if your item is never received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MollieM

Hmmm see here's the thing... some sites take laser, ie, motor tax etc... but maestro/laser is not accepted on a lot of sites.. for example, amazon.co.uk take maestro, when you go to purchase, it will not go through as it doesn't take Irish maestro/laser... what I want to know is why?? I did phone amazon and they redirected me to the help desk (which is based in Cork!) to which I got nothing but umm I am not sure why but we don't take your(Irish) maestro... so I am not a happy bunny at all.. not even my bank could explain why websites don't take it... go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 caoimhes

Hi just wondering if people have actually bought the post office or MBNA cards, and how they're getting on?

How's the overall experience? How long did the card take to arrive? (Presumably to the UK address?) How long does it take to transfer funds when topping it up?

I see that with the post office card you not only have to find an english address, you have to pay for the card with a credit card that also has the english address as the billing address... so what do you do? Get a friend living in the UK to buy it for you? Can you then top up using your own AIB laser card for example? (whose billing address is Irish?)

Also, can you use the post office card to buy pretty much anything online? Or is it a case of the billing address must match the delivery address (I know this has happened a couple times with deliveries from dell for example)? Or do you run into problems if the goods you want to buy are in sterling? Basically my thinking is here- could I effectively use the post office card as a replacement for my credit card (which, as it happens, is about to expire in a couple months). This way presumably you could escape paying the €40 credit card govt levy- double saving.

I regularly fly with Ryanair and so anyway to avoid the €10 return flight credit card charge is welcome- but seems like a load of hassle- and then knowing Ryanair in a couple weeks they'll turn around and charge €10 for visa electron too!! I remember not so long ago (in the last year I'm pretty sure) paying for flights using the laser card- and being charged only three euro.

Honestly, do Ryanair not know at this stage that they're pissing the customer off with all this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

caoimhes wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if people have actually bought the post office or MBNA cards, and how they're getting on?

How's the overall experience? How long did the card take to arrive? (Presumably to the UK address?) How long does it take to transfer funds when topping it up?

The MBNA giftcard can be ordered from Ireland, IIRC it took two weeks to get to me once shipped.

Costs €6 to order.

Comes preloaded with credit up to €350, but cannot be topped up

Expiry date is in 6 months.

Works with both Ryanair and BMI for flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cunning-doll

Sorry to veer slightly off topic but i just tried to book so called 'cheap' ryanair flights.. Basically at the end screen, it showed that the total cost of flights was .04c but then whacked a 20 euro credit card charge on it. :mad:

I booked similar .01cent flights around this time last year and definitely didn't have to pay these charges. When was this bought in? Surely this 'fly for free' ad that prompted me to actually buy them is totally misleading? Grrrr - I'm not buying them out of protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

smartblaa wrote: »
    I would imagine that the Solo and Electron cards are exclusive to UK only, just like a Laser card can only be issued in Eire

No not UK only, I have a Visa Electron card linked to my Norwegian bank account. The irish maestro card I have is utterly useless.
    MollieM wrote: »
    why is this the case? is it that we a nation tend to sit back and say nothing?? go with the flow?? :confused:
    I know, must be an Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nick_fontaine

Up until three weeks ago MBNA offered the MBNA giftcard which was basically a visa electron prepaid card. It worked for avoiding CC fees on Ryanair flights. These giftcards have been cancelled citing 'the cards cause too much hassle for us' as the reason from MBNA.

So close yet so far. Sick of this CC fee on flights.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

i got the new permanent tsb laser card with Maestro on it. Its pratically uselss for point of sales transactions outside ireland as noone accepts it. I was in the usa last week same problem and the uk a few months back. wont work online either.
    I rang the helpdesk of open 24 only to be told that as its a new thing most systems dont recognise it and it could be a few years before the "list" of recongised cards are updated by stores.
    no wonder they dont advertise it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement