Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Electron - Any banks in Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

100gSoma wrote: »
    It's a brilliant card, just disappointed that Lidl won't take any card except LASER/MAESTRO. brutal. :confused:

Visa take a % of the transaction, would eat into their profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

LASER obviously do it for free alright. Pity that. still I'll stick with the VISA debit. great for buying things on web/paypal. plus my credit card hasn't been used since october 08... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Laser payments do cost the retailer, but usually a lot less than a credit card.

I've got 14c per Laser transaction in my head for some reason. Not sure if this is accurate or not, and I think it depends on the bank the retailer uses for their card payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

I have a Visa Debit card from Halifax. I just booked 5 flights there and selected Visa electron just to see what happened. Strangely it seems to have been accepted and no handling charge was charged (normally €5 per flight per person).

I completed the transaction and received a confirmation e-mail for the flights so it looks to have worked. My current account still hasn't been charged yet but I guess there probably is a bit of a delay.

It might save some others the charge.

dubrov wrote: »
    I have a Visa Debit card from Halifax. I just booked 5 flights there and selected Visa electron just to see what happened. Strangely it seems to have been accepted and no handling charge was charged (normally €5 per flight per person).

No way? And I opened a Lloyds TSB Spain account? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

If this works for sure I'm off to get a Halifax Visa Debit card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Just a query regarding EntroPay;

When you apply online do you get a CC number straight away that you can use online or do you have to wait for the card to be sent out to you in the post?

Also, when using it to book flights with Ryanair, which card is it: Do you select the Visa Electron option?

Oh and is there a Government Stamp Duty charge every year payable on these cards also?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

Just a query regarding EntroPay;

When you apply online do you get a CC number straight away that you can use online or do you have to wait for the card to be sent out to you in the post?

Also, when using it to book flights with Ryanair, which card is it: Do you select the Visa Electron option?

Oh and is there a Government Stamp Duty charge every year payable on these cards also?

Thanks!
    Wow. I never even thought of the government stamp duty. No, there's no stamp duty. At least, not that I'm aware of. So far I've used it a few times to book flights, but I never put any money on the card until I'm ready to use it. There's no advantage to keeping a 'healthy balance' on the card.

I don't have physical card. I got the virtual card: card number and the 3 digit CVV and expiration date. I had my card number and the rest within 5 minutes of applying.

And, yes, choose Visa Electron.

BUT - remember - get a card in STerling. I don't know why, but others have said that the € cards will not work for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

I completed the transaction and received a confirmation e-mail for the flights so it looks to have worked. My current account still hasn't been charged yet but I guess there probably is a bit of a delay.

It might save some others the charge.
    Wow. When I tried my Visa Debit Card from Halifax bank it wanted the €5 per person per flight. I might try the Halifax card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just to be clear, I selecte Visa electron in the menu even though it is a Halifax debit card.

I have been charged for the flights with no handling fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

100gSoma wrote: »
    LASER obviously do it for free alright. Pity that. still I'll stick with the VISA debit. great for buying things on web/paypal. plus my credit card hasn't been used since october 08... :)

Visa/Mastecard take percentage of the sale (bout 1.1 for Chip&Pin) but Laser is a flat fee, 12-16 cent depending..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Fantastic! Need to get me one of these cards pronto!!
    Just to be clear, I selecte Visa electron in the menu even though it is a Halifax debit card.

I have been charged for the flights with no handling fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

Hi All

I have a Visa Debit from Llyods TSB in the UK, it doesnt say Electron on it, but from what i know, some of the Electron cards do not have "Electron" written on them.
    I booked flights from "Wankair" today, but i used my Irish Visa Credit card. I know i could try the next time, but i can't wait to know.
    I am about to ask a friend in the UK to get me a Electron card from the UK post office (i believe Electron is not written on these either). So other than Electron been written on the card, how do i know if it will be accepted as Electron by "Wankair"

Thanks

garrycs69 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a Visa Debit from Llyods TSB in the UK, it doesnt say Electron on it, but from what i know, some of the Electron cards do not have "Electron" written on them.
    I booked flights from "Wankair" today, but i used my Irish Visa Credit card. I know i could try the next time, but i can't wait to know.
    I am about to ask a friend in the UK to get me a Electron card from the UK post office (i believe Electron is not written on these either). So other than Electron been written on the card, how do i know if it will be accepted as Electron by "Wankair"

Thanks

UK Post Office Travel Money Cards are Visa Electron cards, and can be used as such on the Ryanair website.

Your Lloyds TSB UK Visa Debit card is not a Visa Electron card, and cannot be used as such on the Ryanair website.

Do you live in Ireland? If so, consider the Entropay trick, or opening an account with Lloyds TSB Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

garrycs69 wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks

I have the same visa card with lloyds tsb, if you put it through as electron you will just have to re enter your details, i tried 2 weeks ago on ryanair coz i heard a rumour there was a glitch in the system, no joy. Glitch fixed if there was one.

If your desperate enough, you could pop into another bank and open a separate bank account that issues you with an electron in the uk. I had an electron for years with lloyds until they just issued me the debit card out of nowhere.

Lloyds TSB UK do still have facility to issue Visa Electron cards. Whether they will or not, is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've seen quite a few threads on Money Saving Expert about banks ceasing to issue Electron cards and changing their users to Visa Debit (just with an "authorise always" flag - essentially the same as Electron in all but name). This could be becoming more and more common.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few threads on Money Saving Expert about banks ceasing to issue Electron cards and changing their users to Visa Debit (just with an "authorise always" flag - essentially the same as Electron in all but name). This could be becoming more and more common.

Can't stand that website. Majority of posters haven't a brain cell between the lot of them, ganging up on other members and thanking each other for posting utter tripe, which happens to support their own tripe.

Back on topic, I think you're right, Buffy. My bother-in-law is a manager at a Lloyds TSB branch in the UK. He told me they can still order Visa Electron cards for customers, but they don't often (don't like to) do so.

I don't know why that is though. Must remind myself to ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

benifa wrote: »
    Can't stand that website. Majority of posters haven't a brain cell between the lot of them, ganging up on other members and thanking each other for posting utter tripe, which happens to support their own tripe.

Back on topic, I think you're right, Buffy. My bother-in-law is a manager at a Lloyds TSB branch in the UK. He told me they can still order Visa Electron cards for customers, but they don't often (don't like to) do so.

I don't know why that is though. Must remind myself to ask him.

Hi benifa, if you do remember to ask him could you just stick a note on here? Thanks . Id love to get one if possible, i just presumed they werent doing them anymore. Very handy for booking flights, would have saved myself 100euro since xmas.

I remember watching watchdog on the bbc when o'leary was tackled about card charges and what came out it was that roughly only 25% of uk people own an electron card.

They might just be trying to phase them out, why, i wouldnt know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement