Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given possibly oput for San Marino

• 22-01-2007 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0122/givens.html

Bring on Fat Pat:eek: :eek:

As someone once said, despite their general poor form that Andy Selva chap has a fairly respectable goal ratio of something like one per four games (meaning he is usually the "1" in a 7-1 result against whoever). While I doubt theyd pull off a win I wouldnt bet against one goal being knocked in. Some run of luck for Shay, its about time a national campaign started where we all contribute a tenner to pay Newcastle 50 million to rest him for the next 18 months :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd hope we won't need him against San Marino. Considering their results so far it should be a comfortable win. So long as we have Given fit for the key games to come we won't worry too much about San Marino. Though no doubt Stan the Man will assure us that they are a team to be feared and that we can't take anything for granted blah blah. Oh, and that he's the gaffer of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

EDIT: double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Such a "non-story" from an Irish perspective really, its not as if Kenny is an absolutely hopeless keeper. Its only San Marino anyway.

I'd be more annoyed if I was a Newcastle fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Such a "non-story" from an Irish perspective really, its not as if Kenny is an absolutely hopeless keeper. Its only San Marino anyway.

Agreed - we are really up sh1t creek if we cannot beat San Marino without Given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its only San Marino anyway.
    :eek:

It was only Cyprus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

seansouth wrote:
    :eek:

It was only Cyprus.

Massive differance between Cyprus and San Marino!

Seaneh wrote:
    Massive differance between Cyprus and San Marino!

QFT. As said above, if we can't beat San Marino without Given we may as well just pack it in now. I'd even argue that he's the least important player on the pitch in a game like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I'd be more annoyed if I was a Newcastle fan.

Despite the poor defensive back up he had, in all honesty I simply cant rate a man who in two matches let in more goals for Ireland than Given probably has since god knows when.

Mind you, I suppose its better to have Given mostly out of action before the Wales/Slovak matches than have him playing and potentially injuring himself far worse.

How many shots do you think Kenny will have to deal with against San Marino? It was as much the defences fault against Cyprus as it was Kennys, and he's not as bad as his performance against Cyprus would suggest.

Nowhere near the same class as Given, obviously, but losing him for the San Marino game is akin to losing a toe for an arm-wrestling competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

shane86 wrote:
    Despite the poor defensive back up he had, in all honesty I simply cant rate a man who in two matches let in more goals for Ireland than Given probably has since god knows when.
    Well we're talking about the worst central defensive partnership I can remember against Holland and without doubt the worst midfield partnership ever fielded by Ireland in Cyprus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement