Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LnH Auditor Resigns

Options
  • 22-01-2007 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I saw on the LnH notice board that auditor Ross McGuire has resigned.

Anyone have info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Good.
    From my experience in UCD, everyone, no matter how disliked or incompetant they were, leaves for "personal reasons" (I'm not saying that this was Ross's problem.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

From what I have seen (from the outside), many people have in society land have jumped ship. Nowdays it strikes me that societies dont hold the same weigh they did when I was in my first two years in college

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

First I heard of it, Ive heard some regular L&H ppl say that the society is hving a bad year, and it is their first year not to be the most highly funded society; but tbh most societies are under preforming as ppl are getting used to Semesterisation and Modularisation.

Is Ross a final year btw, cos that would be good reason to step aside early

Na, he did his finals last year.

The start of the year made it difficult. The L&H had their Abortion debate cancelled and Lawsoc had their packed to the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Aw legend, somebody reads our noticeboard! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Het-Field wrote:
    From what I have seen (from the outside), many people have in society land have jumped ship. Nowdays it strikes me that societies dont hold the same weigh they did when I was in my first two years in college
    Ah, the good old problems of having something academic over your head every week of every semester now. Good old 2007. Happy fcuking day.

Ah, the good old problems of having something academic over your head every week of every semester now. Good old 2007. Happy fcuking day.
    Yet some of us manage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yet some of us manage...

Yes fine but some people can't, it's there business and not for you to go boasting that you can. Its not a bloody sign of weakness if they can't. And before you start I don't need the time management talk again thanks.

Let people make there own decisions and let it lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

didnt Irwin (secretary I think?) resign as well? Thats a bit strange that two mebers of the l and h commitee resigned.It will be difficult for l and h to stay afloat after this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Its strange alright but its only one society there's others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

panda100 wrote:
    It will be difficult for l and h to stay afloat after this?

Seriously Panda, L&H will be fine.

If you think the Auditor and Treasurer resigning is going to pull down the L&H (after more than 150 years) you're grossly underestimating its strength. A few years back LawSoc impeached their auditor and its still a force in society-land.

L&H has perhaps the most capable and committed committee in UCD societies (and no I'm not involved) and auditorial elections are coming around soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Totally agree. And they really do put on a very professional debate :) And they have Jadams!!

Aw, you guys...

TheVan wrote:
    Seriously Panda, L&H will be fine.

If you think the Auditor and Treasurer resigning is going to pull down the L&H (after more than 150 years) you're grossly underestimating its strength. A few years back LawSoc impeached their auditor and its still a force in society-land.

L&H has perhaps the most capable and committed committee in UCD societies (and no I'm not involved) and auditorial elections are coming around soon anyway.

yep I agree Im sure the L and H will survive.However you Cannot say that L and H has the most committed committee (though Im sure individual people on it are) when two prominent committee members have jumped ship?No other society has that record this year .The most committed committees are those that dont have Richard Butler attending their balls and still survive against the odds of huge societys that have been going for centurys.

panda100 wrote:
    yep I agree Im sure the L and H will survive.However you Cannot say that L and H has the most committed committee (though Im sure individual people on it are) when two prominent committee members have jumped ship?No other society has that record this year .The most committed committees are those that dont have Richard Butler attending their balls and still survive against the odds of huge societys that have been going for centurys.

I believe that both Auditor nd Deputy Auditor left Retro Soc. Is that true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Het-Field wrote:

Yep it is

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Retro Soc kinda fell apart this year. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

GusherING wrote:
    Retro Soc kinda fell apart this year. :mad:
    Its a pity after Brian Canny put in such a huge effort with it over the past year to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

panda100 wrote:

Well it depends on the circumstances which caused the people to leave, doesn't it? I have a feeling that things might not be as cut and dried as Ross jumping ship. Regardless of whether the year was going well or not, having "auditor of the L&H" on your CV is a major bonus. Having "resigned from the position of auditor of the L&H after one semester" is not. I'd say there's more going on than we know. Being the "inquisitive" person that I am, I'm itching to know the details. I'd be surprised if anyone (outside of ranks) got them though.

panda100 wrote:

Please do not assume to understand something you do not. People resigning doesn't mean people aren't committed. Commenting on it is an afront to those of us who do work hard. Further from that, being around for centuries (and since we're in the 152nd session that's inaccurate, we're only working on a 2nd century) doesn't mean that we have it easier than smaller societies. If we have more people it's because we have a larger workload, if we have more money it's because we're obliged to achieve more with it and people work damn hard gaining sponsorship. The society is big by virtue of being old and has built itself up, that doesn't mean that people don't have to make trojan efforts in the here and now. I know that small societies have it rough, but it doesn't mean that larger ones are swimming around in pools of liquid popularity. I don't think Richard Butler's attendance was the particular selling point of the ball either but maybe you're right, I'll suggest putting him on the poster for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Het-Field wrote:

Didn't know that till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think this had been coming for a while. Not very suprised.

elmyra wrote:
    Please do not assume to understand something you do not. People resigning doesn't mean people aren't committed. Commenting on it is an afront to those of us who do work hard. Further from that, being around for centuries (and since we're in the 152nd session that's inaccurate, we're only working on a 2nd century) doesn't mean that we have it easier than smaller societies. If we have more people it's because we have a larger workload, if we have more money it's because we're obliged to achieve more with it and people work damn hard gaining sponsorship. The society is big by virtue of being old and has built itself up, that doesn't mean that people don't have to make trojan efforts in the here and now. I know that small societies have it rough, but it doesn't mean that larger ones are swimming around in pools of liquid popularity. I don't think Richard Butler's attendance was the particular selling point of the ball either but maybe you're right, I'll suggest putting him on the poster for next year.

As events organiser of world aid soc two years ago and on the med soc comittee three years ago I think I do not what Im talking about. Its difficult to get members when your always given the little stand at the back of the freshers tent no matter how early you apply. Richard Bulter hands everything to the larger socities on a silver spoon. He makes thing extra hard for smaller societys and female commitee members of those societys. He's a chauvanist,right winger who is really stiffiling the development of really good socities. If he is attendance at the L and H strauss ball then he should make the effort to attend other society balls.In his position he cannot be seen to have favoutires yet he clearly does.
    Societys in UCD are dying and he will be the death of UCD societys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

panda100 wrote:
    I think I do not what Im talking about

Exactly

TheVan wrote:
    Exactly

:P to you!
    Of course people work had on the L and H comittee and the other big societies and naturally I have no reason why the auditor resigned. Im just having a rant at the society set up in UCD.Am I the only one who thinks societys are slowly dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Panda societies are slowly dying, but you have to include the big ones in that too. From what I've heard from committee members, the L&H are having the exact same problems recruiting fresh blood as the small societies are.

And I heard the reason for the resignation is totally non-scandalous and nothing to do with Ross not being committed. I did just hear it from a second hand source so I cant 100% confirm it, but any experience I've had with L&H committee members is of total dedication. They all pretty much give up their entire summer to organise guests for the following year. That's pretty dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

gubbie wrote:
    Its a pity after Brian Canny put in such a huge effort with it over the past year to make it work

Not only did Brian put in the effort last year, he spent the previous two or three years doing that as well. Unfortunately, this year Freshers Week was a disaster. Membership collapsed, the night out went ahead but about 200 or 300 people showed when 800 was neccessary to cover the costs and kick start the society off for the year. Essentially, it never got off the ground. I'm sure there are plenty of other societies in the same situation. I'm sure this isn't the first time a tale like this has been told of late about UCD Societies.

Panda, I agree completely with your points about Richard Butler. Lets just hope he doesn't get Vice Presidents for Students!! ;)

I loll'ed when one of the other auditors told me Butler got the VP job!

Formed UCD Quinn School Dean, Butler is the new VP, not our own beloved Societies Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

Whatever difficulties the L&H went through over the past few weeks, they certainly were by no means a "society in difficulty" during the week. The presentation of the James Joyce Award to Bill Bryson was one of the best society events I have attended all year. They seemed unified and committed and more than capable of moving on from the committee shuffle. And Bill Bryson is like the Grandfather you'd love to have, what a hero! I could have listened to him forever. Fair play to all involved, great guest to have, certainly raises the bar for us! :p

Oh and on the Martin Butler front, he seems utterly committed to the Union thus far, hardly a day has passed where he hasn't called into the President.

• Advertisement
Advertisement