Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil problem

Options
  • 22-01-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm living in rented accomadation and have this problem, which I need to resolve. We asked a company to put 350euros of oil in our tank, they came when we were out and put in 800euros worth which we can't afford. Has anyone had this problem? Can they "suck" out the oil we didn't request? They have my credit card details so if they're unreasonable they could just debit it I guess, where do I stand legally if I refuse payment?

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yes they can suck out the oil and they should if they put in more than was ordered. Be nice to them and you'll stand a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

tammy wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm living in rented accomadation and have this problem, which I need to resolve. We asked a company to put 350euros of oil in our tank, they came when we were out and put in 800euros worth which we can't afford. Has anyone had this problem? Can they "suck" out the oil we didn't request? They have my credit card details so if they're unreasonable they could just debit it I guess, where do I stand legally if I refuse payment?

thanks for any advice
    800 euros is probably over 1400 litres of oil. Most of the new plastic tanks do not hold this much oil. Is it a very large tank ? Does the bill say how much oil you received ?
    And yes it is possible to pump it out. Although ordering less than 1000 litres will cost more per litre.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Tammy I had similar problems twice before. in both cases I proposed paying for what I ordered immediatly and then paying the balance the next time I would have needed oil. In both cases the company involved was less than diplomatic but I stuck to my guns, and have vowed never to deal with either company again not even for petrol.
    You have another ace up your sleve. Talk to your credit card company technicaly the oil is theirs until you pay them. And they can be very handy sorting out disputes if a supplier is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

thanks for the advice all. I called the man in charge of the company who we ordered from, though he did not deliver the oil himself and he was very nice. He'll charge us for what we ordered and for the rest if we use it. If we don't use it he'll come and take it out of the tank!!

tammy wrote:
    thanks for the advice all. I called the man in charge of the company who we ordered from, though he did not deliver the oil himself and he was very nice. He'll charge us for what we ordered and for the rest if we use it. If we don't use it he'll come and take it out of the tank!!
    Tammy, Are you aware that you have a much larger oil tank than standard, if you received 800euros worth of oil ? There are very few of them around.
    If you have a standard tank, the most you would have paid for a fill was between 600 and 700 euros. Maybe you meant 800 litres ?
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

It is one of the larger tanks, I guess the landlord thought it more efficient. The bill is definitly for 800 euro, can't remember exactly how much oil we got but I think it was in excess of 1000 litres!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

JamesM wrote:
    Tammy, Are you aware that you have a much larger oil tank than standard, if you received 800euros worth of oil ? There are very few of them around.
    If you have a standard tank, the most you would have paid for a fill was between 600 and 700 euros. Maybe you meant 800 litres ?
    Jim.

Doubt it, that would work out at 44c+vat/litre.....unless she was getting it smuggled in ..... :D

tammy wrote:
    It is one of the larger tanks, I guess the landlord thought it more efficient. The bill is definitly for 800 euro, can't remember exactly how much oil we got but I think it was in excess of 1000 litres!

for that price you would expect >1300 litres

oleras wrote:
    Doubt it, that would work out at 44c+vat/litre.....unless she was getting it smuggled in ..... :D
    1300 litres is less than 700 euros at the moment.

I was saying that if she paid 800 euros, then she must have got almost 1500 litres of oil - which would not have fitted into a standard tank. A fill in a standard tank would have cost between 600 and 700 euros.
    Tammy confirmed that she has a larger than standard tank :rolleyes:
    Jim.

JamesM wrote:
    Tammy confirmed that she has a larger than standard tank :rolleyes:
    Jim.

Fair play.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Tammy, Glad to hear that things went o.k. Let us know if things turn sour, eg. nasty bills, debt collectors ect.

Advertisement