Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll, Austria

Options
  • 22-01-2007 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone here been to Soll?

About to head there snowboarding in Feb and wondering if its cheap to buy gear out there?
    Also any other advise on the place would be cool... (excuse the pun) ;)

Willy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I stayed near there in the summer a while ago.. it's a nice place and quite near to lots of other towns too. I remember thinking I'd like to come back to this area to ski/snowboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snacs_dg

I was in Soll last Feb and going back again in a fortnight. Skiing is excellent for beginers/intermediates. Not too many blacks. From the main gondola station you can plan you days skiing by sking off to going/ellmau/scheffau/itter/hopfgarden/brixen and skiing back to soll. Going/ellmau would take most of the day to ski there and back. So allow yourself plenty of time bearing in mind the lifts close around 4.00/4.30 else it's a taxi back to soll. (also make sure you know what lifts are in operation before you go)
    Don't know much about the value to be had in buying gear as I wasn't really looking last year. If it's shopping you're after - Soll is not the place to be. No shops of note except a few ski gear shops.
    The apres ski is a different story though. Couple of small bars beside main gondola station which can get quite lively early on. Salvenstadl rocks from around 5.00 with live music later on most nites. Then onto the Whickey Muhle til around 2 and if you're able - the Buffalo goes til around 5 afterwards.
    Few other good places - Rossinis has live music a couple of nites, Hotel Austria and the Sports Bar are worth a visit.
    Food is good value and plenty of choice - we didn't have a bad meal all week. Giovannis (I think) lovely italian worth a mention.
    They had 10 times more snow last year but at least it's snowed recently with 35 cms on the mountain and forecasted another 20 in the next fortnight. They can't be faulted though for the effort they put into trying to get hte pistes into shape with the snow machines and plough going as much as they can.
    The only point I can think off is that the ski routes are not too well marked or signposted and it can be hard sometimes to find the route you're looking for - but then again you can just keep skiing and get a lift back up and try again!!
    All in all soll I thin Soll is excellent and can't wait to go back again
    Daragh

Advertisement