Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP/Vista

• 22-01-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys!

Im about to purchase a laptop nd will b spending about a grand! just wonderin most laptops i see our still running XP although im seein alot about windows vista at the moment! im just wondering should i wait 2 find a laptop with vista installed or go ahead nd buy one with windows xp??

just one other thing, whats the difference between windows XP nd windows XP media centre edition??

Thanks as always!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Myself I would wait if I were you. This is just in about less than 10 days.
    Media Center is optimized for multimedia applications. There is an interface to specialiy manage TV/Radio/Video medias.
    Media Center has been designed to work for multimedia appliances, not really for desktop use. This version of XP only support a few video card device for example.
    You might also have some other limitations, not sure what are they, check Microsoft website for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Aidok

mick.fr wrote:
    Myself I would wait if I were you. This is just in about less than 10 days.
    Media Center is optimized for multimedia applications. There is an interface to specialiy manage TV/Radio/Video medias.
    Media Center has been designed to work for multimedia appliances, not really for desktop use. This version of XP only support a few video card device for example.
    You might also have some other limitations, not sure what are they, check Microsoft website for this.

o rite cheers, ill wait then! so is it offically launched now nd its just waiting to get into shops yeah! can any of u tell me how different it is to use from XP, just for basic things!

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Vista is officially released at the end of the month but you'll probably have to wait a while longer to see it being installed in new pc's. Even then XP will likely remain the default OS for a while with Vista being an optional extra.

Dell (and most manufacturers) are doing a Vista upgrade offer now. This allows you to buy your laptop now with XP and when Vista is released they'll send you the upgrade cd free (XPMCE & XP Pro)and you just pay the p&p (€16). An upgrade from XP Home costs €36 plus p&P.

While what was said about MCE is basically true, but it was never really available as a separate purchase. You could only get it pre-installed on a new pc. If it's pre-installed the obviously it's going to be compatable with whatever components are installed. It's no different to use than ordinary XP. It just has a media center module added. This will be incorporated into Vista anyway so you'll be getting it whether you like it or not:p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Aidok

kaizersoze wrote:
    Vista is officially released at the end of the month but you'll probably have to wait a while longer to see it being installed in new pc's. Even then XP will likely remain the default OS for a while with Vista being an optional extra.

Dell (and most manufacturers) are doing a Vista upgrade offer now. This allows you to buy your laptop now with XP and when Vista is released they'll send you the upgrade cd free (XPMCE & XP Pro)and you just pay the p&p (€16). An upgrade from XP Home costs €36 plus p&P.

While what was said about MCE is basically true, but it was never really available as a separate purchase. You could only get it pre-installed on a new pc. If it's pre-installed the obviously it's going to be compatable with whatever components are installed. It's no different to use than ordinary XP. It just has a media center module added. This will be incorporated into Vista anyway so you'll be getting it whether you like it or not:p .

oh rite thanks man! ill prob just wait 4 it then seen as im in no major rush to get it! i assume any teething problems with it will b fixable by download-able updates!! might b a stupid question sorry

cheers

Advertisement