Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other way to bleed a radiator?

Options
  • 22-01-2007 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me out with this one?

The rad in my bathroom is only heating up at the bottom so I reckon it needs to be bled.
    It is a double panel radiator with two bleed screws, however one of the bleed screws is sheared off so I cannot get the bleed key on it and the other one is too close into the wall to get the bleed key on it also (The wall was tiled without the rad being moved thus no room to get the bleed key in)

Is there any other way of Bleeding the rad or will I have to take it off, move the brackets out from the wall and then hook it back up and bleed it then. Of course Iwould prefer not to have to do this.

Thanks,
    Cushtie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You will have to remove the radiator and get the sheered screw removed and replaced. You will need access to both bleed screws as each one will only bleed it's own panel.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

As you know the air is at the top of the Rad. You could losen each valve and lefting the rad after the wall bracks gently let it down to the floor in a horizonal position. Then the values are at the high point and can be bled. When the air is expelled lift the Rad vertical again, up on to the brackets and tighten the values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Turn both sides of the radiator off fully.
    Get a black steel drill bit and a self tapping screw.
    Drill a hole in the top of the radiator, making sure the drill goes straight down.
    Get your self tapping screw wrap some PTFE tape around it.
    Screw the screw in with a screw driver ,slowly to make sure it doesn't bend.
    Don't screw it in too tightly as you might burst the thread ,let the tape do the sealing.
    Turn the radiator back on at one side ,unscrew the screw let the air out and tighten when finished.
    Now open the other side of the radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks for the suggestions people. looks like a self tapper so then. (I can see the carnage already!!)

Just make sure both sides of the radiator are off.
    to check if it is ,open the working vent when you have it off and make sure nothing comes out. You should only get a dribble of water for a few seconds.

Take your time with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have performed the above procedure many times before. Is not as hard as it sounds. The plumbers tape is the key..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the rad can be gently lifted off the brackets, I would go with Martin Corcoran's suggestion as a quick fix.
    Jim.

Cushtie ,I only recommended what I said because I have to do it for people who are stuck.
    Theres normally something wrong with a heating system when a rad vent breaks off. Normally a leak or some other problem causing air to get into the heating system on a regular basis.

If it is a leak and you feel there is a leak ,you can get a product called sentinel leak sealer and introduce it to your heating system.
    I've never used the stuff myself ,but I've been told it's a good way around such problems. I have equipment that flushes out heating systems and cleans them of sediment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Brian, I reckon the reason it broke off was just it was seized plain and simple and when I went to open it, it just sheared instead of opening.
    you are right, there was a leak in the pipe under the floor boards directly under the rad to we had to shut off the rad and and lift it off out if the way so we could repair the leak
    (Muppet putting down ply on the floor boards to tile on top of it put a hole in the pipe!!)

When the rad was put back on it needed bleeding.

The house is about 25 years old so I suppose the heating system could do with a good flushing out and once over from a Pro.

I'm out of work at the mo ,should be back soon .
    If you ever want to give the heating a good once over and remember me ,give me a post during the summer.
    The equipment I have can get a completely blocked heating system back to 100% ,so cleaning a system is no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement