Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice, beans, jalapenos = ?

• 22-01-2007 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

So I've been thinking I'd like to learn how to make something out of some of my favourite ingredients... I'm a bit of a cooking novice in that I can cook just about enough to keep me alive from day to day. :o

So what I'd like to know is this - what can be made from the following:
    • Kidney beans
    • Jalapeno peppers (finely diced)
    • Rice (of some description)
    • Tomatoes (diced)
    ...and some kind of sauce to bring it all together.
    ...and suitable for vegetarians. ;)

Does this sound like anything you're familiar with?
    Or failing an existing recipe, what kind of sauce could I hax0r together to make this combination edible.

I've tried googling for recipes, but have only come up with... uh, uninteresting results.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm guessing there's something close in the Mexican/Indian/Thai camp. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Straight up and easiest, I'd say a bean chili with rice.

Alternatively, make refried beans with the kidney beans and have them wrapped in a flour tortilla with the chopped ripe tomatoes, jalapenos and some grated cheese. Rice on the side if you're feeling like pigging out.

Healthier tortillas - heat and mash the beans. Layer them on a tortilla. Add chopped jalapenos. Now add some salad leaves, and a couple of spoonfuls of a simple salsa made out of finely chopped peach, mango and tomatoes with fresh coriander and a heavy squeeze of lime. Add fresh chili to taste (even though there are jalapenos there already - I love fresh chili.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Thanks, I'm looking into the bean chilli thing now... I've actually had to stop because the thought of those jalapenos is making my face sweat and jaw twinge! :eek:
    Wooh... it's like the lemon thing when you think of them. :eek:
    Actually I think it was my google image search for 'jalapeno' that did it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could make something simliar to the Columbian "Bandeja Paisa" dish, by adding in some fried minced beef (TVP or perhaps crumbled tofu in this case), a fried egg, sliced avocado, fried plantains, and some type of bland corn bread, together with an oil, vinegar, lemon juice, chilli, coriander, tomato and onion salsa ("Aji").

Advertisement