Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stir Fry?

• 22-01-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I would like to know how to stir-fry? Any one got any good recipes and instructions.

Also anyone know of how to do a good sauce for a stir fry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Stir fry chow mein:

Step 1: put your wok on the gas/hob, heat the wok for about 1 min and add a little olive/cooking oil.

Step 2: when the oil is hot add a little seasoning (salt & pepper mixed together) then add your meat, (if you are vegetarian ship to step 4)

Step 3: cook your meat for about 5 minutes adding a few splashes of soya sauce after about 2 mins

Step 4: add onions, mushrooms, peppers etc, (any veg you want really) and cook for a further 5 mins. (add a small bit of soya sauce here if you skipped step 3)

Step 5: now add your noodles and cook for another 3 mins

Step 6: finally add sweet chilli jam and mix all together for a couple of mins

the golden rule: never put veg into a cold wok, it will stew instead of fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Smiley101

admiralgar wrote:
    the golden rule: never put veg into a cold wok, it will stew instead of fry

I sometimes find that if the wok is too hot, the meat can stick and start to burn even though the experts say to keep your wok good and hot. Do you know how to prevent this??

Do you have anymore recipes for stir fry sauces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Smiley101 wrote:
    I sometimes find that if the wok is too hot, the meat can stick and start to burn even though the experts say to keep your wok good and hot. Do you know how to prevent this??

1. Non stick wok.
    2. Properly seasoned carbon wok.

You only need a little oil with stir fry, and with a properly seasoned carbon wok, you should be able to seal the meat quickly on a high heat in a little oil by tossing it around and you shouldn't need to worry about scratching the non stick surface like you would with a non-stick wok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

allrecipes.com

Anything you can think of is in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use those nonstick magicsheets. You get them in tescos next to the tinfoil and greaseproof paper. They are about €5 black and pretty sturdy, nonstick and dishwasher safe, or just rinse it.
    I get the wok piping hot with no oil. I cut up chicken or meat really finely with a scissors onto the magic sheet and add sesame oil to it. Then lift the sheet by the corners and dump it in. No chopping board needed. Not even a plate to put the meat on.

If it is really finely chopped the meat is cooked in under 2 mins, and so is really tender. Then you can lift the sheet out to stop the cooking immediately.

I usually do stuff separately so each is cooked to how I want it, this way nothing gets overcooked. If you add it all then you have to wait for the slowest thing to cook. Then I add it all back in at the end to heat through.

Advertisement