Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3 saloon

Options
  • 22-01-2007 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Mazda 3 saloon (touring model). It costs around 23,000. Just wondering if anyone has one and has any opinions on it.
    It is the petrol 1.6 model I will be getting.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

My Sister and Sister-in-Law have them.
    Nice enough except the dashboard is a bit tacky.
    Engine and Handling are OK.
    Couldn't bring myself to buy one new when I know that I could get a '04 with 40K on the clock for maybe €12,000 from a private seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm only familiar with the 1.6 diesel in them, but they are a very good car. The handling is on par with the best in that class. (Read all reports on the focus handling, then apply to the 3 which has the same chassis and suspension).
    I like the dash, some don't. Comfortable seats, plenty of space, good looking car. Get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Probably the worst combination of car you can buy. A car that has a hatchback equivalent and buying it in a 1.6 petrol engine.

Would you be better off with teh hatchback version at least? Trying to sell at a later date will seriously hurt you. The Focus would be a better choice, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm actually looking at the 1.6 petrol Touring hatchback. Looking at buying it new though, for the warranty really.

Would people suggest just going for a second hand one, 04 or so, and taking the hit of no warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Sister and Sister-in-law haven't used warranty so far. 04 and 06
    Mazdas(rotarys excluded) are very reliable.

'04 private sale with low milage is the best bargain you'll get.
    From what I've heard the '07 version handles slightly better(on an American website so perhaps European suspension was tweaked from day1) but the '04 was a good handling car to begin with.

• Advertisement

cheers for the info.... now i just need someone to decide to sell their black 1.6 touring hatchback, with front fog lights, around August. Should be handy enough :D

To be honest, I reckon alright that the 1.6 petrol mightn't be the best option from a financial point of view. The 1.6 diesel came out mid way through 2005, and I do reckon that it would be a better purchase. Mazda have a 3 year warranty anyway, so buying an august 2005 mazda 3 1.6 diesel would leave you with over a year and a half warranty still and a good car! The diesel is more expensive as all diesels are though to buy, so a 05 one would be only about 4 grand less than a 07 petrol.
    My mate has a diesel, he bought it in august 05 and the insurance company didn't know it existed at that point it was so new! He might be interested in changing if you would be interested in buying, I could see what price. He's very particular about his cars, so it would be a great buy.

Mailman wrote:
    Sister and Sister-in-law haven't used warranty so far. 04 and 06
    Mazdas(rotarys excluded) are very reliable.
    I would say to include rotarys also, the RX8 is very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I agree with Biro, a 2yr old 1.6 diesel would be a better buy than a new 1.6 petrol

I have a mental block against getting a diesel....dunno why!

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    I have a mental block against getting a diesel....dunno why!
    I kind of see why alright, but seriously... go down to the local Mazda dealer and test drive both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I bought a new Mazda 3 1.6 TD touring last May. Its a great car - the best of the 7 cars I've owned in the last 12 years. The Fuel economy in this Diesel is brilliant. The car has plenty of poke when the Turbo kicks in.
    I don't understand the "tacky dash" that was mentioned - Personally I think the Dash looks great.
    Its very comfortable and the handling and ride are excellent.
    Bear in mind the 3 year warranty and the reliability.
    I recommend it

I don't understand the "tacky dash" that was mentioned
    I think if you sit in a golf for too long your brain begins to think that thats the way a dash is supposed to look!! :D

Go on Tauren, test drive the diesel... you know it makes sense!!

Biro wrote:
    I think if you sit in a golf for too long your brain begins to think that thats the way a dash is supposed to look!! :D

Go on Tauren, test drive the diesel... you know it makes sense!!
    i probably will, when i get the cash together.

As for the dash - i like the look of it. My mate has a 1.4 Touring hatchback, so i was having a look round it, and i did like the look, but then i suppose i do like to watch "Pimp my Ride" (not that i would turn my car into a speaker on wheels...)

Tauren wrote:
    i probably will, when i get the cash together.

As for the dash - i like the look of it. My mate has a 1.4 Touring hatchback, so i was having a look round it, and i did like the look, but then i suppose i do like to watch "Pimp my Ride" (not that i would turn my car into a speaker on wheels...)
    It's a very nice dash for sure. The dash in the mazda 6 is a big disappointment coming from the 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Would anyone know when the Mazda 3 diesel saloon was released? Mid 05 was mentioned. Would like one of these but a little too new. Were they available in the UK any earlier? Is the 1.6 TD the same engine that's in the Focus?

Old Jim wrote:
    Would anyone know when the Mazda 3 diesel saloon was released? Mid 05 was mentioned. Would like one of these but a little too new. Were they available in the UK any earlier? Is the 1.6 TD the same engine that's in the Focus?
    Mid '05 is correct, and same engine as in focus. When my mate bought his brand new one, it was the first that dealer got in, about August 05 I think. Quinn insurance didn't have it listed, so kept telling him that he must mean the 1.6 petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mazda 3 is fairly rare in the UK, the saloon version is more rare than the hatchback.

Advertisement