Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limit Bandwith

• 22-01-2007 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

Right, bit of a stupid story here, trying to help my mate. He's sharing a house with 3 other room mates. They are all connected to the net via the bb modem.

So he wants to limit there bandwith as they leave the house and all keep there torrents running 24/7. Is there a program that will allow him to limit the bandwith of the other pc's without actually getting into the router and without getting onto there computer?

Long shot i know but he is a noob and cant find the setting on the router to block there pc's from the net when he needs to jam games online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Hm... my first guess would be no .. he'll have to get into the router ... to do that ...

My second guess would be the same ... as for limiting bandwidth usage by their pcs ... the good old kill the power on their machines would be an option ..

Would they let him limit the bandwidth usage on their machines ?? as in change the upload / download rates on their machines ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

error9 wrote:
    Hm... my first guess would be no .. he'll have to get into the router ... to do that ...

My second guess would be the same ... as for limiting bandwidth usage by their pcs ... the good old kill the power on their machines would be an option ..

Would they let him limit the bandwidth usage on their machines ?? as in change the upload / download rates on their machines ?

Well thats what i bloody said to him but he's a bit of a batty! Some of the lads work night shifts and leave there pc's on all night during the weekend running torrents so he cant play anything.
    Just got an idea, switch his pc then kill the main power, hopefully the torrents wont be running on startup :D. I might try talk him through figuring out this router but he is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Simple solution is to pull the network cable's on the router when he plans to play games. Even by limiting their bandwidth its still going to affect his ping. If its wireless then flick the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just got an idea, switch his pc then kill the main power, hopefully the torrents wont be running on startup :D.

Right up until a pc dies from a power surge, be it dead psu, corrupt hard-drive or dead chips. And I know its sarcasm above, just don't wont anybody else who missed the smiley to start doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

pulling network cables is what I used to do in that situation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

krazy_8s wrote:
    Simple solution is to pull the network cable's on the router when he plans to play games.

I think its a winner ... requires very little knowledge messing with routers and so on ... you're pulling the cables from the one location .. possibley label them :) (never let me near a home network :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Yup, that would be the easy sollution if the damn router wasnt in the other guys room >(. He is going to get the model number of the router tonight and im gonna see if i can find a manual for it. Bit hard explaining what to do when i cant see the screen.
    Cheers for the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Does he lock his room when he leaves then?
    One possible but complicated solution (which we eventually used in that situation) was to get an old PC with 2 network cards and install Clark Connect (free linux-based home gateway thing) on it. There's probably a bunch of other products that do the same thing. We were able to use that to completely block the MAC addresses of people who weren't chipping in for the internet/phone bill , and as far as I know you can use it to throttle bandwidth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Depending on the router he might be able to use mac address filtering as said above or if the router supports it filter the ip address that can use the internet.

Advertisement