Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Ads

• 23-01-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

I was watching this ad the other day while thinking how stupid it was, and it got me wondering how many other idiotic ads you could think off, where the ad exec obviously had their brains turned to OFF.

Basically it the ad for the Suzuki 4X4, where all the different occupants of the car are singing "What a wonderful world"

The Lyrics go something like this
    "I see trees of green, red roses too, i see them bloom for me and you, and i think to myself, what a wonderful world"

Nice sentiment, but if you love the world so much why are you driving around in a gas guzzling, high carbon emitting 4X4 :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I farking loathe that ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice sentiment, but if you love the world so much why are you driving around in a gas guzzling, high carbon emitting 4X4 :rolleyes:
    If you're among the group of people that thinks of the Suzuki 4x4 as a "gas guxzzling, high carbon emitting" vehicle, you're not in the target audience for the advert so they don't care what your working brain thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Does my nut in that ad, especially the one who butchers the song by screaming, hate that bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are we talking about ads that are carp or just hypocritical...?

If the latter I nominate Coke.

The ads with the polar bears drinking coke. Now, polar bears live in the Arctic. The Arctic is being threatened by global wamring, and with it the food supply for the bears. What causes global warming? An increase in the level of CFC gasses produced by....? Cheap industrial fridges left running nonstop.

And who uses said fridges to keep their drinks cool until their bought....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    And who uses said fridges to keep their drinks cool until their bought....?
    Polar bears?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

I was watching this ad the other day while thinking how stupid it was, and it got me wondering how many other idiotic ads you could think off, where the ad exec obviously had their brains turned to OFF.

Basically it the ad for the Suzuki 4X4, where all the different occupants of the car are singing "What a wonderful world"
    I love the unintentional irony of that ad using the same song as the road safety ad from a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

yeah strangely i was wondering about the new coke ad based on the retirement home guy, i wonder if they'll get a bashing for including the bull run, considering Pepsi were lambasted for using the chimp and that looks a lot less cruel than a bull run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I love the unintentional irony of that ad using the same song as the road safety ad from a few years ago.

Yeah noticed that as well. That ad used to be on when I was young and I always thought it was good I can't associate it with any other ad than the road safety one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Those Ready brek ads do my head in. There are the ones that are, supposidly, set in the future where big blue robots go aroud to people's houses and remove all sugary foods.

Then they reach one house where they are eating Ready Brek and when the robots see this they explode "Ready Brek saves the day" Yeah right :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also those Yell.com ads on SKY One "attention humans, I demand your finest minds...." Whoever thought up of those ads should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I hate all those ads for insurcance, accident claims, and cosmetics.

"Coz you're worth it" ARRRGHH! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I love ads - they're bleedin' deadly.

Especially that hair loss or hair transplant ad that's on at the moment. It's really cheap looking and has this dude whose hair looks like a wig. He's driving around in a yellow sports car with a model - "Is hair loss holding you back from the things you want to do in life?"

Nope. It's lack of money that's stopping me driving around in a convertible sports car. Sorry.

I hate the drinking driving ad with that beyond-irritating "just one look.... that's all it took!" song.

Shows this guy and a hot girl at a bar. Their eyes meet. The guy looks at his pint.. horrific images / situations resulting from car-crashes ensue... then back to him, he nudges the pint away. And the girl nudges in closer because of this.

Remember the first time i saw that ad.. i thought of a new slogan: "Don't drink and gorgeous women will talk to you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Imagine if every poor bastard on a night out starting getting images like that everytime he went to drink a pint?? You'd have a nightclub full of people sitting on the ground, rocking themselves back and forth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

basquille wrote:
    Remember the first time i saw that ad.. i thought of a new slogan: "Don't drink and gorgeous women will talk to you!"

Theres something in the that final look on her face that suggests to me that she is only delighted he aint boozing. This is because she knows he can now afford to buy her Eight euro cocktails while he sips tap water for the rest of the night.
    She is in fact Scum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

To the person who said ALL Meteor ads.

Consider your point seconded.

(ahhh, 1st post in 3 months - travelling causes boards.ie cold turkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

ALL Meteor ads.

Here, here, probably worst and most annoying ad on the television. Those 2 women do my head in, jeeez, the face on the dark haired one is enough to make me puke!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

GAVISCON TABLETS!

Bangarda (or whatever they call them in the UK) directing traffic. Randomer walks up.

> You OK?
    >> No, Heartburn
    > Try these
    >> Mmmm. Gaviscon Tablets!
    takes tablet...
    >> I can really feel it!!

# WHAT A FEELING!!! #

And the one on the radio with Daft Dave for RightPriceTiles (MONKEY!)

Think i'm the only one who loves that ad... it does what it says on the tin - DAFT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nope, feckin lovely ad....
    "The monkey wants his bouncy castle back!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

"I'm Neville Notte" (however it is spelt)...."we have furniture for your kitchen, the living room, and... bares hairy chest and puts on creepy voice that appeals to all housewives over the age of 45.. the bedroom"

I want to know:
    a) Who the f**k is Neville Notte and
    b) Why I should care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I love some of the ads on TV. Some are better than the TV shows that interrupt them! Carlsburg Complaints Dept? That one where all the parts of the car fall over in domino fashon? The one where the 2 adults rush out of shed like Butch & Sundance and the kids paste them? etc
    Kojak wrote:
    Those Ready brek ads do my head in. There are the ones that are, supposidly, set in the future where big blue robots go aroud to people's houses and remove all sugary foods.

Then they reach one house where they are eating Ready Brek and when the robots see this they explode "Ready Brek saves the day" Yeah right

but, to my point. This is the worst ad on tv IMHO. It makes no sense at all! Why would food police raid peoples homes? Why not close the factories or producers? Also, if Reddy Brk had that effect on them that morning, what happened the day before? Did the police just come into effect that day? Also, after destroying the police, they claim that RB saved the world, but surely they just allowd everyone to eat the high fat / salt breakfasts the police were trying to destroy! RD condemed everyone to bad breakfasts!

If some weird "food police" robot came lurking around my house I'd take a baseball bat to him....never mind a fvcking box of ready brek!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i knew it

Ready Brek is the new Satan

My most hated ads of all time have to be the Yoplait ones that come back every year. The one with the kid and his mother singing like rastafarians. Its just fills me with so much rage that I want to find the 2 actors and slap them senseless with a wet trout or similarly sized fish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 plugitplayit

I hate the insurance ad with the red phone that has wheels.

I also hate shaving ads. The ones that the guy is looking in the mirror while shaving and he just glides through his face and then the chick arrives in the bathroom. Shaving is never like that.*

Gotta love the Honda engine oil ad. It's the one that the engine is flying around (it's animation) Don't know the name of it but the song is class.

*At least not in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

greine wrote:
    Here, here, probably worst and most annoying ad on the television. Those 2 women do my head in, jeeez, the face on the dark haired one is enough to make me puke!:mad:
    The two prats and the hairless cat are even worse!
    Hey guys, maybe try *checking* that the cat is OK? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Heard an ad on spin that was hilarious. not sure if it is the same monkey or meant to be a mock of it but it's great!

"not da face":D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Barry Scott!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

basquille wrote:
    I hate the drinking driving ad with that beyond-irritating "just one look.... that's all it took!" song.

Shows this guy and a hot girl at a bar. Their eyes meet. The guy looks at his pint.. horrific images / situations resulting from car-crashes ensue... then back to him, he nudges the pint away. And the girl nudges in closer because of this.

Firsty, shes NOT hot
    Secondly, I hate that ad way more than anyone else could

Firstly, shes NOT hot

I'd slip her a length. Got a nice rack.

Now I'm waiting for the inevitable "that's my sister you bastard" reply....

Hector's ad for the horseracing.... Checking out the form... There are a load of ****e lines that get laughs for some reason in the ad. **** man, get back to the bog and be doen with it.

One sentence:

"It's not just a good musical.. it's a great musical!"

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mad:

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Hector's ad for the horseracing.... Checking out the form... There are a load of ****e lines that get laughs for some reason in the ad. **** man, get back to the bog and be doen with it.

anything with that **** Hector is annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Not so much idiotic just two adds i hate,

First is the Concern Adds,the fact that they are always on and go on for sooo lllllloooonnnggg just bugs me.And why oh why did they have to go and ruin a beautiful song Clair de Lune,now i just cant listen to it anymore.
    My second is an add for cheese strings,why???,because they used leftfields release the pressure and now once again i cant listen to it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

greine wrote:

How can anyone not say that she is not attractive? Actually that picture reminds me of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

humanji wrote:
    How can anyone not say that she is not attractive? Actually that picture reminds me of this!

you're spot on there, humanji :eek:

humanji wrote:
    Yes. Lovely intellgient swtiched on-on warm smile there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

basquille wrote:
    Think i'm the only one who loves that ad... it does what it says on the tin - DAFT!

I like that add too!
    Though I dont know what turkish trabertine is :D

another terrible add that springs to mind is the coca-cola xmas one.
    Featuring a terrifying CG santa with cheeks like a well smacked a*se doling out bottles to a rapidly aging woman.

point of add: women who gaze in shop windows will be snuck up upon by 9ft hyper-obese santas. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Every single shampoo and cosmetic ad ever.

Danone Vitalinea and the like.

Financial Services ads - "The Art of Legally Stealing Money"

American car ads - see the new Dodge one trying to explain how the red ball of sh1t isn't cute by having furry little cg things piss themselves.
    Yes. Clever.

tards.

• Advertisement

another terrible add that springs to mind is the coca-cola xmas one.
    Featuring a terrifying CG santa with cheeks like a well smacked a*se doling out bottles to a rapidly aging woman.

I like the way she hands him the bottle back at the end of the advert. Its like shes saying "You've tried for nearly 60 years, and I'm still not going to shag you" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

The two prats and the hairless cat are even worse!
    Hey guys, maybe try *checking* that the cat is OK? :mad:
    ah yes, The "Relax, everyone we know is on meteor" ad, they probably only know each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Sounds like something Marty Whelan would think was funny.

I bet the number of road traffic accidents has increased since that voice started tormenting us in the early mornings:

"I'm liquidising stock in this blender. I've also liquidised my boots, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

My sentiments exactly! All I think of whenever I see the ad is the poor girl at the end of that ad from about 10 years ago and the poster campaign that went with it. Obviously Suzuki don't have marketing people here, and we know that they didn't bother researching how we'd react to it. I'm not a fan of the new McDonalds ads, but at least they went for something that Irish people would, er, get.

My sentiments exactly! All I think of whenever I see the ad is the poor girl at the end of that ad from about 10 years ago and the poster campaign that went with it. Obviously Suzuki don't have marketing people here, and we know that they didn't bother researching how we'd react to it

marketting people to see how what, a handful of people who remember a road safety campaign advert would react? when i see the ad i think of people singing a song in their Suzukis

Mossy Monk wrote:
    marketting people to see how what, a handful of people who remember a road safety campaign advert would react? when i see the ad i think of people singing a song in their Suzukis
    exactly - i think of suzukis.

If I thought of every previous ad when I heard a new ad with a song in it then when Moby played my brain would explode.

But continuing the topic of sit ads - Surf and anything from Kinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Hate that ad for EZ furniture or something with some rubbish song playing over it.
    "Sun on my face...la la la something." You'd know if you'd seen it.

Actually hate all furniture ads.

There's a really pretentious ad on at the moment for Alfa Romeo.
    All these 'striking' images such as an old man and woman kissing in the rain, and a schoolboy with a bloody mouth(for some reason) with a creepy look on his face.
    This voiceover going on about God knows what, life and stuff, but it's nothing to do with an Alfa anyway.

cashback wrote:
    Hate that ad for EZ furniture or something with some rubbish song playing over it.
    "Sun on my face...la la la something." You'd know if you'd seen it.

Actually hate all furniture ads.
    Oh Christ yeah... hate that ad and the hilarious going-on's in it. Raising and lowering the level of a chair mischeviously, and the throw of a cushion. What are they... 8?! :eek:

Another one is those fecking Kandoo ads? The little kid on the toilet shouts "they're all gone... they're all gone!". And obviously enough the mother comes to investigate. And has time to get off the toilet and draw a little picture that his arse-wipes are all gone. Tragic! :mad:

PS - anyone else noticed this ad has quickly turned from 'Stupid Ads' (as in little intelligence / makes little sense) to just ads we loathe! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

basquille wrote:
    PS - anyone else noticed this ad has quickly turned from 'Stupid Ads' (as in little intelligence / makes little sense) to just ads we loathe! :D

Yep, but I've thought of another one so I'm not stopping now!

That ad for the South Armagh tourist board where the couple walk into the bar and everyone turns around and stares. "You're not from around here are ya? You'll be wanting to buy us all a drink, it's tradition!"
    Cue much uproar in the pub.
    Jesus if that's the reaction you get when you enter a pub, whether the guy is joking or not, I'm not going near the place!
    Don't suppose that ad makes much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Ads for tapons should be showing exactly where they are placed....
    Ads for showers which seem to show only above the neck for a woman
    and above the waist for a man, typical Irish.
    Toilet roll ads showing a puppy. Ok the puppy is a dot but he doesnt use
    toilet paper, again it should be shown where to use it.
    If they can show a JML ad which shows what the piece of cheap chinese
    made product can do, then so should the toilet roll.............
    There are so many new people arriving into our country and some of them
    do not have a word of English. Switching on the tv and seeing a woman smiling and in the next clip a drop of blue ink dropped on a towel, well they wont know what its about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement