Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Have to mention the CocaCola Zero ad. The one aimed at men where the two most annoying dickheads on earth are walking down the street talking shít and gradually more men join them.

What a load of crap.

(As as aside, I love the new Halifax ad!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I know I'm following on from many comedians with this one but in relation to fanny balloon ads:

What woman wants to ride bareback along a beach after competing in a triathlon during their period?

Seriously - I assume there must be some kind of female influence in these ads or are the men responsible really that disconnected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I find the red bull ads about as funny as a kick in the nuts.

All insurance ads are pretty thick as well.

And as for those ads that tell you you only have to pick up the phone and ask for a loan of 25 thousand and its yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

All those companies offering to give you a loan to pay off all your debts and have money left over.

"You get 50 quid a week til you kick the bucket; then we get your house. Call NOW!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I don't like those ads that make men look as thick as planks, so patronising eg the tampon ad where the guy thinks the tampon is a sweet, because the packaging is so misleading.
    Wise Woman : 'No dear, that doesn't go in your mouth'.
    Plank Man : 'But what's it for?'
    Wise Woman : 'I'll tell you when you grow up'.

On the other side, I like those Bounty paper towel ads. The two men look nothing like women, they've got beards for goodness sake :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

cashback wrote:
    Yep, but I've thought of another one so I'm not stopping now!

That ad for the South Armagh tourist board where the couple walk into the bar and everyone turns around and stares. "You're not from around here are ya? You'll be wanting to buy us all a drink, it's tradition!"
    Cue much uproar in the pub.
    Jesus if that's the reaction you get when you enter a pub, whether the guy is joking or not, I'm not going near the place!
    Don't suppose that ad makes much sense.

Yeah that's some scary ad. Moncreiff had a good few text about that one today, including the catchphrase - "Go to South ARmagh, before South Armagh comes to you"

"You're not from around here are ya? You'll be wanting to buy us all a drink, ya B*stard, or yer not gettin' out alive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

The ad that really gets me...

Is....

Its an add for butter, or cheese, or some such product...

A Heidi type woman in the kitchen, and then lots of animated creatured come in..... Its sssooooooo badly done like...

and then she kisses the animated bird....

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

two words Shielas Wheels god i hate those 3 eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Speaking if the irony of the music in the road safety campaign ad and that for Suzuki, does anyone remember the fairly recent advert for Bacardi, which featured an orgy of splashing liquer and sexually provative dancing, possibly on a railway platform, and a central character of a young Irish actor acting as ringmaster to it all, dishing out bucketloads of the stuff from a trolly - the exact same actor that centrally featured but a few weeks previously in an Irish Drink Aware television campaign.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I hate those car ad's that have 9 year old boys acting like boring old men. The Safira or something.

"New house, new car, he's doing well for himself!"

"Ovey-tired!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I haven't read the any of the thread so sorry if this has been mentioned.

I fcuking hate the david brent/the office rip off characters, mainly in insurance ads.

There's the fat lad with glasses for norwich union and then there is another company has an ad with basically david brent and gareth keenan in it. And it's so blatently obvious and terrible at the same time. arrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I know I'm following on from many comedians with this one but in relation to fanny balloon ads:

What woman wants to ride bareback along a beach after competing in a triathlon during their period?

Seriously - I assume there must be some kind of female influence in these ads or are the men responsible really that disconnected?

Funny thing is - most of the people doing voiceovers for ads these days are comedians - anyone remember Colin Murphy voicing the Diet Coke ad with the Turtle? Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I despise ALL ads. I don't care what new slant some a**hole marketing exec has come up with to make even more money for his/her fat cat boss.. I don't want to see it!! I don't really watch TV anymore because of it (and on the rare occasion that I do, I turn the sound off during the ads).
    Anyway, enough ranting, I particularly hate all ads that prey on stupid mothers' instinct to protect their children (L-casei imunitas, coco-pops, one-a-day suppliment/drug tablets, etc..) and ads that make cheap/crappy/boring cars out to look good/glamerous/exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dr Pepper wrote:
    I despise ALL ads. I don't care what new slant some a**hole marketing exec has come up with to make even more money for his/her fat cat boss.. I don't want to see it!! I don't really watch TV anymore because of it (and on the rare occasion that I do, I turn the sound off during the ads).
    Anyway, enough ranting, I particularly hate all ads that prey on stupid mothers' instinct to protect their children (L-casei imunitas, coco-pops, one-a-day suppliment/drug tablets, etc..) and ads that make cheap/crappy/boring cars out to look good/glamerous/exciting!

Nah, be fair....
    http://sports.aol.com/nfl/superbowlads
    Blockbuster Mouse Ad - Top Right

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Dr Pepper wrote:

Is your boards name not an ad for a popular soft drink?
    Mmm...refreshing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

That new ad for 'quorn' where she says

"Touch my food feel my fork".

Ahhggggg it makes me want to throw my telly outta the window!

Rawr! wrote:
    The ad that really gets me...

Is....

Its an add for butter, or cheese, or some such product...

A Heidi type woman in the kitchen, and then lots of animated creatured come in..... Its sssooooooo badly done like...

and then she kisses the animated bird....

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid!
    The hallucinogen ad!
    Eat the butter and you'll see little cute animals running around your kitchen too!!

There's a really pretentious ad on at the moment for Alfa Romeo.
    All these 'striking' images such as an old man and woman kissing in the rain, and a schoolboy with a bloody mouth(for some reason) with a creepy look on his face.
    This voiceover going on about God knows what, life and stuff, but it's nothing to do with an Alfa anyway.
    I hate that one too. "Isn't life great? That's why you should buy our car!"

There are so many stupid ads, I just sit there yelling at the tv sometimes...

Does anyone actually remember some older milk ad,
    where some stupidly smug looking woman asks "when does blah and blah equal blah? Don't believe me?"
    don't believe *WHAT*?! you didn't make any claims or statements! you asked a bloody question! and stop looking so smug!

Yes, the ready brek one is also terrible
    blowing up one robot clearly means you blow them all up instantly
    and people are happy to settle for invasive robots, like...
    oh and that cheese strings ad. "It's just cheese!" like hell it is. RUBBER. thats what it is.
    *cough* ok I'm done for now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

George Orwell, who wasn't noted for his good cheer, claimed that "Advertising is like the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket". He was terrible with the women, apparently, which probably explains his gloominess.

I haven't had a TV for 18 months but I still remember some annoying ads.

1 - Anything utilising a Northern Irish accent.

2. Anything where a wooden celeb endorses some lame product.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Like I said, it's been a while. Did anyone used to watch "Carrot's Commercial Breakdown" a few years ago? There were some good ads on that. I was only a teenager at the time. There was significant tittilation to be derived from many of the foreign ads featured. Sex should be used to sell more, as the features of most products are only of limited interest.

I work in the food / drinks sector. I really wish legislation allowed me to make the ad I really wanted to - one that suggests that my product can make you happier, get women, have more fun etc, even though it can do none of these things. There's too much emphasis on the truth these days. It gets tedious after a while.

As an aside, I used to work for Harvey Nichols. Cue much mirth from friends as they impersonated the stentorian voice from the Harvey NORMAN radio ads. Pointing out that I didn't actually work for that retailer didn't have any effect on their waggish behaviour. I guess don't let reality get in the way of a good joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Or how about the ads telling you ...
    "Did you know that if you turned the heat off and wore a hat, coat and scarf in the house while sitting in the dark there would be more energy to go around.
    You're such a waster, you really shouldn't be using electricity like that."

Ok, I'm kind of paraphrasing it but that's the general gist of them :)

I mean, hello, they're on the Telly. If I didn't have the telly on I wouldn't have seen this ad. Money well spent, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

iguana wrote:
    I hate those car ad's that have 9 year old boys acting like boring old men. The Safira or something.

"New house, new car, he's doing well for himself!"

"Ovey-tired!"

seconded. Those fat little prats - and the worst thing is - in that 'beach' ad, I don't even understand a word they're saying...Not one. Not a single word.
    I would love to see their target market analysis...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The bloated women.
    All ads with whiney English accents.
    Most ads with whiney American accents, and *anything* with American children, who sound like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
    All ads patronising men - obviously made up by fat middle-aged male ad execs who think women will find this charming. Wrongggg!

But there are some ads I've liked over the years. The Irn Bru ones with the kid spitting rivets into girders. The Alka-Seltzer one with the two men in the lifeboat... then one man in a lifeboat - "for when you've eaten something you shouldn't..." The Red Corner Shop radio ads with the Red Army Choir giving their all in The Internationale - "Revolutionary value!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Just read through this thread, had me in stiches, thanks for cheering up my day a bit !

Anyway, I cant remember if anyone mentioned the ads for any kinder products ? THeyre not exactly new or anything but they still get on my nerves - every ad features a very happy family that seems to be badly dubbed. Makes my want to pry my eyes out with a screw driver.

And on the subject of kinder
    I am English, and as such I crave dissapointment, which is why I buy Kinder Surprise. Nasty chocolate, crappy little toy. Sometimes I eat the toy out of pure desperation. "The eggs of numbing inevitability" is what I call them, and when I order them I sak for them in the third person "Bill Bailey would like The eggs of numbing inevitability..." .....
    Paraphrased somewhat but you get the idea

For this reason I dont watch TV whenever possible. Where did all the decent ads go like the Drifter jive man ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Those bloody 'Cleaner Close' ones. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Any ads with a baby/toddler dubbed over with an adult voice sporting an exagerated accent to supposedly to convince you the baby is talking.

Bloody hilarious ..... and so original. My sides split a
    little more every time one comes on.

Also those ads flogging ringtones:

1) Rip the sound off some amusing clip thats been doing the rounds on the net for years.
    2) Append 'mad' or 'crazy' to whatever it is. e.g Crazy frog, crazy cow, mad mexican etc.
    3) Market it directly to droves of peabrained teenagers and let them do the work of extracting the money from their suffering parents.

F*cking parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Ruu wrote:
    Those bloody 'Cleaner Close' ones. :mad:

Oh god yeah, those ads are terrible

"Cleaner close, episode 10; and Jackie has fallen for some bald idiot" :rolleyes:

Also those "Daft Dave" ads that have started appearing on the television - if I hate it when it's on the radio, how the hell am I going to like it when I can see it as well?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

And ads mocking people with working-class accents.
    And all those sneery ads around at the moment, usually with some annoying fellow with a Wexford accent patronising people - they're mostly on the radio.
    And all the ads with an edge of aggression and nastiness.
    And all the meta-ads - ads about ads: "I got my hair done for this ad", "but this is an ad for x" and so on. Not clever, boys. Have a new idea.
    And 'terms and conditions appy'. Of course they do. What do you think we are, fools?

luckat wrote:
    And 'terms and conditions appy'. Of course they do. What do you think we are, fools?
    I thought that'd be a legal requirement though... maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not to forget the Harp ads with all the racist Nordies. "Pablo's a ****in eejit, Buy us a pint there Pablo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

The financial regulator ad on the dublin bus does my nut.

And all those "no win, no fee" claims ads

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

What the f*ck is up with that new 11890 ad (for eircom i think). Some old smelly rocker sitting on a desk with a kindof 80's setting. If anyone can tell me whats the funny part please do, Im lost :confused::confused: .

• Advertisement

I hate any ad with "challenge" in it.
    Take the actimel challenge! The yogurt challenge! The butter challenge!

Yeah it's a real feckin challenge to open the silver foil and eat :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh and "lose x weight in y time by eating lots of yogurt every day!
    small print: note that this will only happen if you have a balanced diet and exercise. "

Well, DUH you'll lose weight with balanced diet and exercise, you don't need the flippin' yogurt. grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I absolutely hate the Vauxhall meriva ads with the kids acting like grown-ups

also the ad with the baby who is dressed up in a suit and is meant to be the ceo of a toilet roll company:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

*inhales*

The Kenco ads where the student makes the same obvious mistake and it all ends with a hilarous joke from mister kenco......:rolleyes:

The ad that appears at around 1pm every afternoon about concern asking to give x amount of money a month. Don't get me wrong its sad that there is famine but i don't want to see images like that when i'm tucking into my lunch. Plus the music is depressing too! :mad:

And finally....

Any ad that contains that horrible wench Andie Mcdowell. :mad:
    Someone tell her to stuff those anti ageing creams and dyes up her own hole where they would be most use! :mad:

*exhales*

That is all.....for now! :mad:

Mikosyko wrote:
    *inhales*

The Kenco ads where the student makes the same obvious mistake and it all ends with a hilarous joke from mister kenco......:rolleyes:

Top marks for that one....what a prick....Well if they use the same beans for ground and instant, why the **** does one bag say Kenco Instant and one say Kenco ground....****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

zuutroy wrote:
    Not to forget the Harp ads with all the racist Nordies. "Pablo's a ****in eejit, Buy us a pint there Pablo"

I have to agree, the stone throwers do themselve no favours with those kind of adverts, like the south armagh one on again tonight, does my head that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Firsty, shes NOT hot
    Secondly, I hate that ad way more than anyone else could

Not hot? Leave it our ffs, shes an animal.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me where exactly the humour is located in the Pat Shortt Pat the Baker ads, answers on a postcard (Im not sure if its the drag, the guy in the warrior outfit or the sight of a Limerick man in his 40s dressed like a homeboy, but i dont get any of it)

One that really gets me is the anti frizz shampoo with a loudmouth Ammerican bird you simply know from the voice is at least 23 stone.

The balls on her, the first girl she criticises actually has grand hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i truly hate those ads for loan companies, where they use (badly) poor visual metaphore's. Bloody annying - especially when the people on the add are just being thick. One that really annoys me is the one where the people are out in the coutry somewhere, trying to find there way past a field or something, and they decide to walk though a bush (you see - it was an obstruction on the path to freedom.....) but there is a openly clear way either side of the bush. JUST WALK AROUND IT YOU MORONS! Or the one where they are on the running track. Good god i hate them.

Ads for air fresheners get on my nerves too - especially the one that has the elephant playing the house wife. It's not the content of the ad - its the fact they chose an elephant. What freaking genius decided to link a fat freaking elephant to your average house wife!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

weedhead wrote:
    What the f*ck is up with that new 11890 ad (for eircom i think). Some old smelly rocker sitting on a desk with a kindof 80's setting. If anyone can tell me whats the funny part please do, Im lost :confused::confused: .

I've no idea what the concept behind that ad is, other than to completely confuse people who will then discuss how pointless and sh*t the ad is (I guess it's worked, then). I'd love to have seen their pitch though.

The ones that really get me worked up at the moment are those retarded f*cking Weetabix ads with "real" people putting different things on a bowl of weetabix and eating nothing else.
    "Today we're having weetabix with dried fruit on top"
    "Today we're having weetabix with honey and yoghurt on top"
    "Today we just took a big dump on a bowl of weetabix and ate it all up"

I think the voiceover guy is the fat guy from the bank ads mentioned elsewhere.
    "Basically, it's just putting sh*t on weetabix and eating nothing else all week; no nutritional benefits whatsoever, and if you're expecting to lose any weight, you'd be better off shoving your fingers down your throat. Simple".

P*ss right off.

Ryaller wrote:

Thanks for making me laugh out loud in work, and look like a complete nutter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

"You're not from around here are you"

What exactly is the point of this ad?

or

the other really annoying ad is the smelly rocker ad

again what is the point

Ryaller wrote:

:D:D

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyone remeber those Kellog's Fruit & Fibre ads from a few months ago? - the one where your man is wandering around naked singing "Breakfast come and me got some fun".

Jesus, that gave me the rage - I haven't seen it on much at the moment, and long may it stay that way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

"ye know, you can really have an adult conversation with those people at picture"
    "about football?"
    "noooo!"
    terrible ad, that man seems like an inept gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

"ye know, you can really have an adult conversation with those people at picture"
    "about football?"
    "noooo!"
    terrible ad, that man seems like an inept gob****e.

That ad isn't the worst, the following ad with "Mum where's my scooter?" uuuugh that ****ing winds me up does that! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Any Ad That You Can Remember Is Not Stupid,its Actually Very Clever Because It Made You Remember It

Any Ad That You Can Remember Is Not Stupid,its Actually Very Clever Because It Made You Remember It
    Not when you make a decision never to buy the product based on how annoying their ads are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

shane86 wrote:

Anyway, if anyone can tell me where exactly the humour is located in the Pat Shortt Pat the Baker ads, answers on a postcard (Im not sure if its the drag, the guy in the warrior outfit or the sight of a Limerick man in his 40s dressed like a homeboy, but i dont get any of it)

That's not Shortt it's the other b0llix Kenny and I agree I f****despise those ads I can't believe someone paid that moron a fortune for that crap Irish marketing companies haven't a clue they'll throw any old sh1te at punters and hope that it sticks

Oh sweet Jesus I just saw the new Halifax ad with the fat bird from the X factor murdering Think by Aretha Franklin. That's just not right.
    Conversely I love their new Irish ad with the other "Bankers" trashing the new Halifax branch it's great - but I will never bank with them because of the other ads.

Feck - just noticed my Bank Of Scotland credit card has changed to Halifax - Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Another ad I cannot stand is the new one for Channel 6.

It has irish music on in the background while it shows us different pictures of "celebrities" at different Irish landmarks - the whole thing stinks of an Oirish gimmick that would be shown on American television.

Pure tacky, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

That Nissan Qashqai ad with the foot on top of the car is bloody annoying. **** name for a car , **** ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

zuutroy wrote:
    Not when you make a decision never to buy the product based on how annoying their ads are.
    bingo, the entire point of this thread, the ad acheives its anti-thesis by being annoying, making you deliberately avoid the product and decreasing revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement