Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

I hate that ad with the old git sitting in his sitting room when the bath falls through the ceiling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

All those new banking ads where they think they're clever using psuedo-swears like "you bankers".

Actually, pretty much all those new banking ads period. Halifax really get on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

As someone has already mentioned, it's almost impossible to figure out why anyone thought that new 11890 ad would be funny.
    It's absolutely rubbish and now there's a version with the guy speaking on the phone in a womans voice. "My phone voice."
    What.. why? I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

:mad: Them Danone Activia Adverts wreck my head, who talks to their parents about bowel movements!
    Also the Vauxhall/Opel ads where the kids act like adults! :mad:

Muller Crunch Corners.........that song (which seems to be sung by a million different artists) is just the sour cream of annoying music! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

That new Eddie Rocket's ad does my head in :mad:

Its exactly what you'd expect to see on American TV, not on Irish. The song is seriously annoying and with all the screeching (or whining) of the theme song and the tacky layout of the "diner". Not to mention the fact that it reminds me of the one and only time I went into Eddie Rockets - what a rip-off. :mad:

Kojak wrote:

Its exactly what you'd expect to see on American TV, not on Irish. The song is seriously annoying and with all the screeching (or whining) of the theme song and the tacky layout of the "diner". Not to mention the fact that it reminds me of the one and only time I went into Eddie Rockets - what a rip-off. :mad:

Rip-off is not the word......

€11 for a bag of chips and burger! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Kojak wrote:

New! They've been using that song since the 80's. Its annoying but it really sticks in the mind.

Another ad that annoys the hell out of me (There seems to be many of them :D ) is that TallaghFord ad with Mark Cagney in it.

The singing in it reminds me of a strangled cat, and regards Mark Cagney ..... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

mcdonalds ad with johnny logan
    what were they thinking, does look a bit like a meteor ad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I hate that advert telling motorists to take more time to look out for motorcyclists.

It tries to make you feel stupid for not spotting the biker coming up the road.... but the biker isn't there... he's only there when they replay the clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ad from last year from Nicorette, with that horrible annoying cow, think she was called Sue, I'd say she had no friends and everyone hated her in Work as she seemed like a real pain. Also has anyone noticed that this years Nicorette ads have the TV Licence inspector doing them!
    Also hate the 11890 ad with the old hippy guy, I just don't get it? Maybe they want to make it look like a You Tube type homemade video, but just don't see how it would make you ring the number if you've dodgy looking blokes like your man answering the phone

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I hate the Drink adverts from the UK... The one where the guy is supposed to be robocop and is swinging out of the scaffolding, then falls off and breaks his face. So stupidly done... "Too much drink turns you into a fvcking gymnast"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ohohohooo I HATE the ad with the asian kid on the can saying 'its all gone its all gone' needs to learn to like his own brew. And I ESPECIALLY hate the Suzuki singing one :mad: . In Fact Ipod and any ads that have young 'hip' people trying to act cool. All Budwieser ads are as weak as the beer itself. The baby talking ones and acting like adults and trying to tell me about life deserve boycotting of products. The Pizza one with the really annoying girl and the pizza landing on her. How come whenever I complain, a pizza doesn't land on me? Like now for instance, I'm hungry...

Anyone seen that new ad for the "banana phone" ringtone?? :mad:

It has an annoying song "ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, banana phone" and has a load of retarted looking banana's jumping around like idiots - god its feckin annoyin :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Kojak wrote:
    Anyone seen that new ad for the "banana phone" ringtone?? :mad:

It has an annoying song "ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, banana phone" and has a load of retarted looking banana's jumping around like idiots - god its feckin annoyin :mad: :mad:
    What the hell do you take? Where can I get some?

I haven't seen the advert.... but is this the song your talking about? It's a brilliant song.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

That ad for that old el paso stuff where the man tells the ginger kid he'll put him in a zoo like a monkey or something.. then the lad recounts it at the dinner table and everyone laffs?! including the kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that child deserves a beating. i really do hate him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

I too despise the tallaght ford ads. as soon as the screeching begins I reach for the off button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The new Meteor ads are irritating, but I remember when they first arrived about 5 years ago, their ads were funny.
    Remember the young guy who was staying the night at his girlfriend's house. Her parents were strict, so it was seperate bedrooms. Later in the night, when the coast was clear, he attempted to make his way to her room, then heard his text alert. It was from her father "Don't even think about it"!
    Another one where a woman finds her car is blocked by a van displaying a meteor phone no. and name of a locksmith company. She phones the number, says she's from the lap-dancing club and one of her girls is locked in the toilet - can he get her out. He says he'll be over straight away, and drives off in his van. Then she's able to get her car out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure if these two have been mentioned.

The Coke ad with Ozzie git. I keep hoping the bus will pass under a low bridge and take his head off.

The Budweiser ad with the bloke screaming outside a pub. and the other muppets racing to get there. Goes through my head.

I hate those 7UP ads with that skinny wanker thinking he can cool everyone down! :mad:

#Elites wrote:
    and when its shown in Winter its stupid!

that Meteor add with the freaky dog..ahhh it scares me!

I don't think i've seen that one.......:confused:

Mikosyko wrote:
    I don't think i've seen that one.......:confused:
    I think it's a cat - where it jumps out the window and they end up getting a new one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

is_that_so wrote:
    The Budweiser ad with the bloke screaming outside a pub. and the other muppets racing to get there. Goes through my head.

Easily the worst ad on the tv at the moment.

Ad of 2006 if anyone can remember it had to be the Gillette ad with the "Father" and his "Son". "You showed him how to buy stuff on in the internet, you showed him how to put songs on his mp3 player, this year get him a gillette". Ends with the "Son" smiling as he watches the "father" shaving. I put the supposed relationships in inverted commas because I think it was the most unintentionally gay ad of the year.

is_that_so wrote:
    I think it's a cat - where it jumps out the window and they end up getting a new one?

The Cat.......It's dead.....everyone we know is on meteor bill pay......great solution! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

wtf has meteor got to do with cats jumping out

I hate the ad with that cocky kitchen fitter.

"I fitted more kitchens than you've had hot dinners, now where do they put the tea bags"

how many kitchen fitters have you seen that help themselves to cups of tea?

grrr:mad:

musician wrote:
    I put the supposed relationships in inverted commas because I think it was the most unintentionally gay ad of the year.

lol

how very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The Irish Permanent/Permanent TSB (can't remember which it was back then) ads from 4 or 5 years ago with the stupid hysterical laughting people.
    One ad was set in a restaurant where a young woman is sitting at a table laughing loudly because of the "great deal" she is supposedly getting from Permanent whatever they were called. The maitre d' cautions her that she's disturbing the other diners, but she bursts out with the stupid laughter again immediately.
    Second ad was ina butcher shop. Middle aged lady walks in and asks the older butcher for a pund of sausages. The younger butcher at the rear of the shop starts bursting his hole laughing, again for the same reason as the wan in the restaurant. Customer and older butcher look angrily towards him. Can't say I blame them. Quite possibly one of the most stupid, most annoying advertising campaigns ever.
    ...And now for something completely different. Who here remembers Maude Frickert's "Big Ed loves Mona/They're good people!" ads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

is_that_so wrote:

What a rubbish ad that is. It's almost unbearable to watch after the first time knowing that smug twat is the one doing the screaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

the halifax ads from a few years back with the singing guy howard.

or the wavin rugby ads with denis hickie playing every position on the pitch, with a brown leather ball from the 80's!

duridian wrote:
    Second ad was ina butcher shop. Middle aged lady walks in and asks the older butcher for a pund of sausages. The younger butcher at the rear of the shop starts bursting his hole laughing, again for the same reason as the wan in the restaurant. Customer and older butcher look angrily towards him. Can't say I blame them. Quite possibly one of the most stupid, most annoying advertising campaigns ever.

I loved that ad! It always made me laugh....a good feature in an ad! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Mikosyko wrote:
    I loved that ad! It always made me laugh....a good feature in an ad! :)
    You have got to be kidding me... that to me seems like enjoying a kick in the nuts.

duridian wrote:
    You have got to be kidding me... that to me seems like enjoying a kick in the nuts.

Nah it was funny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the halifax ads from a few years back with the singing guy howard.
    I'll take Howard over that 25-stone warbelling mongrel they have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mikosyko wrote:
    The Cat.......It's dead.....everyone we know is on meteor bill pay......great solution! :rolleyes:

Thats very handy.

It just goes to prove the fact Meteor customers are the tightest bunch of bastards known to man. Free within network calls or texts, and the ability to send Call Mes across networks.

In a rather drunken state a few weeks back my friend began quite litreally threatening me to go on to Meteor, and became abusive when I wouldnt "ah come on, sure I can call ya for free, dont be such a bollix all your life"

Agree with Aidan above, the Halifax one is brutal. Ive always hated the "give it up for the guy who leaves work early" Diet Coke ad. Its just got no point

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

At present;

Meteor Ads,

The current Guiness(?) Ad - where your man screams and the three lads come to the resecue. Get a life lads.

Gaviscon (?) ad where the traffic cop suffers from heart burn while directing traffic, then after a table is waving her hands all over the place and the cars understand the directions to go etc.

Some womens car insurance ads that used to be on for CSI Vegas - you know, the one where they go on about Women being the safest drivers and yet they are driving while signing and dancing in the car, with the hands of the steering wheel? How ironic.

Sully04 wrote:
    The current Guiness(?) Ad - where your man screams and the three lads come to the resecue. Get a life lads.
    I think it's budwieser. Although the current Guinness advert with the penguins annoys me.. not the adverts fault though... it's just that despite it being out for about a year people will still laugh out loud at it in the cinema as if they'd never seen a penguin before in their lives.

Those new Lynx adverts are horrific... I guess it should be refreshing that they're making women look like total cretins for a change... but it's just very annoying... and I guess the fact that the advert is aimed at men, means they don't think too highly of mens intelligence.

Sully04 wrote:
    Some womens car insurance ads that used to be on for CSI Vegas - you know, the one where they go on about Women being the safest drivers and yet they are driving while signing and dancing in the car, with the hands of the steering wheel? How ironic.

Sheilas Wheels. i hate those *****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I think it's budwieser. Although the current Guinness advert with the penguins annoys me.. not the adverts fault though... it's just that despite it being out for about a year people will still laugh out loud at it in the cinema as if they'd never seen a penguin before in their lives.

Those new Lynx adverts are horrific... I guess it should be refreshing that they're making women look like total cretins for a change... but it's just very annoying... and I guess the fact that the advert is aimed at men, means they don't think too highly of mens intelligence.

I was just about to mention these two ads.

The lynx ad is so cringeworthy its hard to watch the budwiser ad is so annoying it makes me ANGRY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Ah yes...Sheilas Wheels... anybody else wishing those wheels would just turn to the right and take those 3 tossers off the edge of a cliff??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shelias Wheels.. thats the one!

Very amusing ad all the same. Trying to say they are the safest drivers... but they aint in the ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Those new Lynx adverts are horrific... I guess it should be refreshing that they're making women look like total cretins for a change./QUOTE]

Thats my number 1 hated ad at the moment.

DarkJager wrote:
    Ah yes...Sheilas Wheels... anybody else wishing those wheels would just turn to the right and take those 3 tossers off the edge of a cliff??

Oh god, that's an awful ad. And the theme tune :mad: :mad:

Reminds me of this stuff or even this. Makes you wonder if an ad can be reported for being offensively bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Any ad where Trouble in Paradise is advertised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that susuki vitara ad where they are all singing the louis armstrong song wonderful world really grinds me gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

that susuki vitara ad where they are all singing the louis armstrong song wonderful world really grinds me gears

I actually like that ad

• Advertisement

Oh it's bit where she sings "Red roses too" that makes me want to punch the television.

That Lynx advert seems to be proving popular with kids... I've heard them doing it on street corners already.

I guess they're not old enough to know how horrible the stuff smells.

Advertisement