Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDVEC Panel

Options
  • 23-01-2007 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I applied earlier this year for the CDVEC panel of part time instructors/teachers. I was accepted and the letter indicated that I may be contacted by potential schools for part time hours and that I may apply directly to specific schools and colleges direct. Does anyone know anything about this panel and how it works? Do colleges actually use it? Should I be applying direct to schools during the summer to pick up the part time hours come September?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, CDVEC schools use it. In fact they have to use it as it is agreed procedure with the TUI.

The busiest time to get people from the panel is of course August/September, but it can happen all year in the event of sickness or maternity leave.

Does no harm applying in person to the schools too. Depending on your willingness to get involved in extra-curricular stuff and your combination of subjects a personal chat with a Principal or Deputy Principal might be what makes you stand out rather than others.

A willingness to take deputies is always a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lauren2006

What does 'take deputies' mean? Thanks for the info. I will apply direct to the schools indicating I'm on the panel and make a few calls...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry, deputies are substitute classes where a teacher is out. They are often at very short notice and with a class you may not know and who do not do your subject.

I remember my years of deputy work (shudder).

Obviously timetabled hours are much better, though they pay the same.

Anyone know of any VEC schools looking for part time tutors (evenings or weekends) for the next academic year? I'm on the panel (and was last year). alternatively any of the private colleges looking for tutors in IT or Business related subjects?

Contact the schools individually for night work as they don't always use the panel for night classes.

Some of the CDVEC schools have very large night schools.
    Enrolment for classes for will probably be about the third week in September so they should know round about then whether they will need people or not.

If you have a class you want to suggest you could get a school to put it on their list and if there is enough interest (I think a minimum of 12 is needed) they will run it.

The CDVEC do not generally run classes at weekends.

See are the People's College looking for instructors.

• Advertisement

Thanks Spurious,

have done that, no news yet....I'll have a look at the People's College...

Advertisement