Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students in Galway

Options
  • 23-01-2007 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

Hey I transfered to GMIT in Galway last year and had heard that NUIG and GMIT students didn't like each other,which for most of the year it didn't seem to be true but maybe I'm just blind to it or something. I live with three NUIG Students and get on fine with them, they take the piss out of me jokingly sometimes and all but nothing too bad.
    Anyways I'm starting to notice alot of differences between the two sets of students and noticing alot more anti-GMIT NUI'ers and anti-NUI GMIT'ers. I was lookin up GMIT Rag Week on Google to see if the strippers were going to be in GPO this year(if anyone knows please tell me when) and I found this: http://www.sin.nuigalway.ie/boards/viewtopic.php?t=14942 Don't think anybody answered the question properly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Both sides are a pack of Losers, Capital L for Losers.:rolleyes: Lousy cheapskates:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wrong Ho Fool, I go to the GMIT and I'm loaded Ca-CHING!, Working Students...rare but we do exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

In fairness he deserved that typing in text speak is really annoying thats why it's banned on Boards. As for the GMIT Rag week I know nothing about so can't help ya there. On the whole issue of GMIT vs NUIG I don't think theres much to it a bit of slagging either way thats about it. But they don't mix that often for the sole reason that there parties ain't on at the same time (after exams, rag week, graduations etc.) and there located on two seperate sides of the city.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um, I don't care where people go to college...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I lived with a few people from NUIG and had some great time with them.

It was normally considered a success when GMIT and NUIG ran their rag weeks at the same time or one week after the other.

As for the strippers well I saw a poster around but have forgotten when it said it was this year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

There was loads of vomit around town after last night...

Debauchery for one and all!

I saw a guy peeing* in the doorway of Lifestyle sports on shop street, while shocked people in the shop looked on in disbelief.

*at 6pm

Ya that sounds like a shed builder from GMIT :D

You're telling me!

His neck was glistening a scorching burgundy, as he stumbled off afterwards.

I also saw a guy receiving a fierce punch to the face for no reason at 7pm just outside Lynch's Castle.

"Bunch of savages in this town!" - Randall

GMIT, bunch of muck savages out their! Never been a mile from a cow's sh*te :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No-one who matters gives a flying monkey's.
    Your FYP is all that counts.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote:
    Never been a mile from a cow's sh*te :D

Lining the pockets of their coats with the stuff, so they can constantly smell of "Home"

Whereas down the road in Cluain Mhuire, everyone just smells funky (like organic tofu and incense)

Whereas down the road in Cluain Mhuire, everyone just smells funky (like organic tofu and incense)

Cluain Mhuire==Camp_crustie;
    :D
    Dam smelly people from the IT.
    Syxpak wrote:
    No-one who matters gives a flying monkey's.
    Your FYP is all that counts.
    Bah I tell you, it is all about which side of the city you go to college on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

It's not about what college you go to, it's about what course you do!

ARGINITE wrote:
    Cluain Mhuire==Camp_crustie;
    :D
    Dam smelly people from the IT.

Gee, Thanks! I mean I'm standing right here! If you have a problem with my personal hygiene, you come to me in private. And you say "Hey man! I don't wanna piss you off or anything, but... you weren't thinking of having a shower this month?"

*SOB SOB* How can you be so cruel?
    toiletduck wrote:

Yes... Amen to that! I'm not one to draw too many stereotypes but most people can be categorised by the course they study. It's a terrible thing to say but it's true.

Im a student in nuig.I have never gone out on that side of the city but I have nothing against them.What has GMIT rag week being like so far?

Presumably filled with drink, puke, sex, fights, stupid bets, hairy lads from the IT, fun, frolics, arguments, then getting back together (and loads of charitable donations:rolleyes:)

But then I'm only guessing it might be as boring as sh1te

kevmy wrote:
    Presumably filled with drink, puke, sex, fights, stupid bets, hairy lads from the IT, fun, frolics, arguments, then getting back together (and loads of charitable donations:rolleyes:)

But then I'm only guessing it might be as boring as sh1te
    In fairness.NUIG can't really say much.We only raised €7000.I am not a BIG FAN of rag week.I think the best nights I have ever had in Galway have been the last two Halloweens.It was one heavy night of drinking and that was it.I hate this drinking for a week crap.I cant do it.

Gee, Thanks! I mean I'm standing right here! If you have a problem with my personal hygiene, you come to me in private. And you say "Hey man! I don't wanna piss you off or anything, but... you weren't thinking of having a shower this month?"

*SOB SOB* How can you be so cruel?

I here by retract my statement that people from Cluain Mhuire are crusties.
    Cluain Mhuire!=Camp_crustie;
    and they dont build sheds either!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

NUIG tossers........
    Bring something decent to the table and start a real debate.... i.e community enhancement etc..

In fairness.NUIG can't really say much.We only raised €7000.I am not a BIG FAN of rag week.
    Well thats why I mentioned it, nearly got cancelled this year, interesting to see what they come up with this year.
    I think the best nights I have ever had in Galway have been the last two Halloweens.It was one heavy night of drinking and that was it.I hate this drinking for a week crap.I cant do it.

Personally I used to do a full day of drinking and one other night. Couldn't go all week and wouldn't want to. But the buzz is amazing around the place and everybody is out at least one night that week so thats the reason for the mad crowds. IMO very few guys go the full week most people who say the do are just bullsh1ting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

toiletduck wrote:

after working in a firm and seeing who they hire, i know that in some cases this isnt true.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Some NUI birds are the the most snobby arrogant ***** ever. Heard a group of them out one Thursday night saying how this guy came up to her in a pub and started chatting to her. She stated that the fella was "realy cute" but she found out he went to college in GMIT she turned him straight down. Daddy bought her too many ponies when she was younger I presume. :D

Another incident i have myself is with them in CP's. You can tell an NUI girl a miles away. The push and shove as hard past you as physicially possible in nightclubs and pubs. I swear I have lost about 10 drinks that have slipped out of my hands because of them.

Jesus chaps, it's just college. Not freakin' playschool.

Sometimes, some genres of people are destined for each of the colleges but alot of the time it's down to pot luck and fluke (leaving cert results, further education, portfolios and that)

I myself am a student of "Camp Crustie" as ARGINITE so delicately puts it, if I hadn't got my place through my PLC last year, I would be currently bigging it up in NUIG with all the other Arts Students.

So... Mah... Sometimes people are just people regardless of where they study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

if there were no students around scraming on wednesday and thursday nights it would make my job a hell of a lot nicer!!

in saying that my sis goes to nuig and she has buddies in gmit. personally its like this a lot of nuig are living outta daddies pockets driving mammies car into college and dont gibe a toss, whereas gmiters are majority living away from home have part time jobs and care about college and there future careers!! its just my opinion so nuigers dont shout me down!! as for strippers in the gippo isnt that like an urban legend at this stage!! ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, strippers for rag week is a bit of a legend alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

There were strippers in Kennedy's last Wednesday. :)

personally its like this a lot of nuig are living outta daddies pockets driving mammies car into college and dont give a toss, where as gmiters are majority living away from home have part time jobs and care about college and there future careers!! its just my opinion so nuigers dont shout me down!! as for strippers in the gippo isnt that like an urban legend at this stage!! ha ha ha

You get the same thing in the IT. It's not just a NUIG thing, some people are lucky enough that their parents can give them money for college and the use of a car.
    I know a lot of students from both sides of town and their was a pretty even spread of people who gave a sh*t about college and people who didnt.
    So... Mah... Sometimes people are just people regardless of where they study.
    SyxPak wrote:
    Yeah, strippers for rag week is a bit of a legend alright
    Their were strippers in the GPO for rag week about two years ago.
    But they were pretty fugly!

if there were no students around scraming on wednesday and thursday nights it would make my job a hell of a lot nicer!!

in saying that my sis goes to nuig and she has buddies in gmit. personally its like this a lot of nuig are living outta daddies pockets driving mammies car into college and dont gibe a toss, whereas gmiters are majority living away from home have part time jobs and care about college and there future careers!! its just my opinion so nuigers dont shout me down!! as for strippers in the gippo isnt that like an urban legend at this stage!! ha ha ha
    Personally.This is not the case from my experience.I live in Gort na Coiribe.The majority of my friends are not from Galway.I work every weekend and earn my 150 euro to get me through the next week.Plus anybody who hasnt stripped on a monday night in the GPO obviously has not lived or drank Buckfast.

I go to NUIG and noone I know drives mammies car, some live out of daddies pocket but very little. Most are away from home. I could've lived at home but I'd enough of it. People are the same eveywhere. You get bitchs and bastards eveywhere if their from a rich background they might be snobby if their from disadvantaged background they're skangers. Don't care about either of these types of people and definetly wouldn't hang around with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I honestly don't know where this apparent divide between GMIT and NUIG came from. I am a GMIT student, and I went out every night from Monday to Friday with NUIG students for my RAG week! My best friends are NUIG students, and I'm currently seeing a girl who goes to NUIG, and she ain't a snob either (like somebody mentioned in a previous post). I never had problems with NUIG, I even spend some time in the student bar! I think people are just blowing this WAY out of proportion...

Advertisement