Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is This Possible...?

• 23-01-2007 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭

Urban Myth, as discussed heated this evening with friends. Yiz can feck off if you think I'm wiritng the long version of it, so we'll put it this way:

If the frankincense in a preist's thurable (shakey ball-like thing on the end of a chain he swings about) was replaced by hash, would it be possible to get the congregation (or part thereof) stoned?

I'm lead to think you'd either need a ****load of it, or some particualry potent weed, but it would be possible.

Yes or no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Obviously theoretically yes, if the congregation inhaled the smoke it would get them stoned.

But in practice not really possible. You would need A LOT, and decent stuff, and even then it wouldn't necessarily work in the church/cathedral as they are very open places and the smoke would diffuse too quickly.

Also, it would be noticed as not being the usual smell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I doubt it. It would have to be an incredibly confined place with a low ceiling and a church is neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If it did, people would go back for communion seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

lock the doors and have lots of priests shaking lots of balls....did that come out wrong?? ermm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

What defines an urban myth is its ability to be both theoretically possible and statistically improbable.

(If it was scientifically impossible, no one would believe it and it would not become an urban myth. If it was not just possible but also a common occourance it wouldn't be an urban myth, it would be a verified reality.)

If you're dealing with an urban myth the question isn't so much "could this happen?" but instead "has this happened?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Have the communion wafers impregnated with LSD for far better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Theres only 1 way to find out ;) I'll supply the weed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

flogen wrote:
    What defines an urban myth is its ability to be both theoretically possible and statistically improbable.

Yup, it's so that tin foil hat wearers can say "But it could happen!!!!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Some guy on tele said he did that it was on some BBC show about kids and religion or someit.

I don't think it would work I'd love to give it a go I don't think anyone would notice the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have the communion wafers impregnated with LSD for far better results.
    Isn't that how the whole thing started in the first place? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'd say it's pretty possible. I used to be an altar boy and we used to have to set it up while the priest was keeping the crowd happy. Bassically you had to light a pretty massive lump of charcoal (about the size of 6 E2 coins) then you'd put not that much incense into the thing and then just keep the air circulating. Now presuming the church has no massive draughts blowing through it and you put in a fair bit of the weed in it'd be possible to get the guys in the first few rows going alright. Wouldn't effect the whole congreation but it'd have some effect on those nearest the priest.

I'm sure some kid put weed in one once wheter the people got stoned, I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ScumLord wrote:
    I'd love to give it a go I don't think anyone would notice the smell.
    Maybe not 40 years ago, but to-day? I suspect that there would be a sudden and unexpected rush for the front seats, especially by the teenagers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i would actually go to some sort of mass if they had vents pumping in pure THC.
    It would be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

Guaranteed that the altar boy/girl and possibly the priest would get pretty high... *pictures this* :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Instead of hims (sp??) the preist and alterboys come out to Cypres hill. Christ, Christ Ya'll!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Errr why would anyone do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

faceman wrote:
    Errr why would anyone do that?
    A good idea always dies when someone stops to think that very thought...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

But in practice not really possible. You would need A LOT, and decent stuff, and even then it wouldn't necessarily work in the church/cathedral as they are very open places and the smoke would diffuse too quickly.

that sounds like a bet to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It would probably be best to replace the communion wafers with cookies and get the choir to sing some Bob Marley sh1t. Man I'd start goin to mass again if it was like that....

Advertisement