Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ents this year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

ElCapitano wrote:
    Still no news on who is playing the UCD Ball, if they were a large act surely they would have to be booked in by now?
    There's a thought, a date would be nice...

/would like it to be before he goes back to Germany for Semester 2 in April

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Het-Field wrote:
    In other colleges around Ireland, the Ents brief is wrapped into the role of the President, Deputy, or "site manager". UCD is one of the few which have an independent Ents Officer.

The only way UCD could guaratee a decent workload from Ents, is to empploy somebody on afixed term contract, and make it a staff position . Like other staff positions, those who apply would be compelled to outline their visions, and show that they have relevant experience. It would also allow lies to be nipped in the bud early. I mean I find it objectionable that Holly would claim to have lied on her manifesto to garner a few votes. While people may do it, people should not express that they did it. And remeber, Holly won by few votes. An ents manager would be under the jurisdiction of the President, and he/she would have to satisfy the demand for a diverse range of music, and tastes.
    I always found it odd that in UCC, a college of 16,500 people, would have a part time ents officer and we have a full time one.

Paddy thats a brilliant idea about the ents position. Maybe then we'd have someone back to us like Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The workings of all sabbatt positions are hugely flawed. There is no accountability when your elected position is only for one year. You can be as crap or as great as you want and it won't make a difference, you'll still have been an UCD sabbat officer.

Its pointless basing a paid, year-long position on a few fliers handed out for about 2 weeks. Not to mention people only voting for their own faculty members. Essentially it seems people's ability for the job has no bearing on election results. Not to mention the fact that how could the average college student have the necessary experience for any of these positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Can sabbats be impeached?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would certainly imagine so, but the fact they're office is only for a year means there is usual little impetus to do so. It would have to be something hugely scandolous rather than just being bad at the position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Usually sabbatical officers can be "persuaded" to resign following the passing of a motion of no confidence.

Otherwise the last resort is a referendum which can remove the officer from office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

ElCapitano wrote:
    Ents posters never seem to be "up" on time and then first years are sent out to poster over other societies posters.

If this is true then you should take this matter further and lodge an official complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

From the UCDSU Constitution:
    (i) A Sabbatical Officer may be removed by a referendum held in accordance with Article 6(3) & (4) of this Constitution. Such shall be the only means, other than resignation, by which a Sabbatical Officer may be removed from office.
    (ii) Where such a proposal is approved it shall take effect upon the declaration of the Chief Returning Officer.
    Articles 6(3) and (4), by the way, merely deal with the general rules for holding a referendum, including that a referendum may only be initiated either by the direction of Council (i.e. a mandate) or "shall be called by the Returning Officers on petition in writing of not less than 3.5% members of the Union at the time of submission", which usually turns out to be about 830 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

You have to bear in mind that most students in UCD know **** all about music and wouldn't recognize a quality act anyway. 90% of people responded with a 'who?' when asked iif they were going to the gig. Erol's profile has gone through the roof in the past two years:confused:. People are just largely ignorant. The crowd at the erol gig was easily a 50/50 split of students and non-students.Where as almost everyone at the Republic of Loose gig was in UCD. It's obvious what the majority of students want, if thats bland irish acts, so be it.
    And there is no way Erol or a similar act would charge a 5 figure sum for a wedendsay night gig. Give credit where credit is due. Last wedensday was great, the christmas ball and justice were good as well. And Holly seems a to be a fairly sound girl too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Anton17 wrote:
    And there is no way Erol or a similar act would charge a 5 figure sum for a wedendsay night gig. Give credit where credit is due. Last wedensday was great, the christmas ball and justice were good as well. And Holly seems a to be a fairly sound girl too.

I believe the majority of that sum is going to certain promoter who cannot be named. They get the act for Ents and Ents pay a ****load to them. Ents are been raped left right and centre by this tie-up. Who's responsibility for this I'm unsure of, I believe this agreement came after last years flop of UCD ball. I hope the UCDSU publish figures on what exactly these gigs are costing them and who's recieving what money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement